Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 8:31 am 

I've searched high and low for a solution to my problem, but have yet to find a solution. I've disassembled the gun, going as far as inspecting the hammer and sear, but I am not a gun expert. I've oiled parts of the gun, as instructed in the manual.

The issue I'm having is when the CO2 and BBs are loaded in the gun, and I'm firing off shots, the trigger occasionally will press in but not fire. I can release it slightly, and pull it back again, and it will fire.

It's this gun for anyone who would like more details.
https://www.umarexusa.com/colt-commande ... l-bb-black

Interestingly, when there are no BBs in the clip, I can fire off the gun without issue. The trigger will not exhibit this issue. It'll just be firing CO2, but it fires consistently. The same without the clip in the gun. The hammer will strike each time I pull it back and pull the trigger.

The next thing I'd like to try is a new clip but they're 40 bucks CDN. If that's not the issue, I'll have two clips for a gun that doesn't work right.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any insight would be appreciated. Even a diagram on how these guns work so I can isolate the problem area further. Thanks.

My only running theory right now is when the BBs are in the clip, sometimes the trigger isn't being reset, which I assume might be a function of the CO2 putting pressure back toward the trigger. But I really don't know. I'm making guesses at this point.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:07 am 

My suspicion would be a disconnector problem.

See the following schematic:
https://www.kwcgun.com/img/manuals/AAKCMB760AZB%20(K08-00685-N3).pdf

Part Z04 (Firing Plate) is the disconnector. Spring number F02 applies pressure to the disconnector from the right-most arm (viewed from the rear) and also serves as the trigger return spring. Remove F02 and gently bend the right-most arm of F02 forward a little to increase the pressure applied to the disconnector. Apply lube to the front side of the middle and right spring arms of F02. Reassemble and test.

Note: yours may or may not have the extra trigger spring S22. If so, this could perhaps be given a little stretch to increase trigger return pressure (but may require a lot of disassembly to get at as the trigger is pretty much the last piece to come out on a full disassembly).

Worth a try. Post an update with the results (good or bad).

Cheers!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 10:20 am 

With my Colt 1911's (Combat Vet version - which Michael Kay says is the same gun as yours) the slide locks back & will not shoot if no BB's in the mag. So you might have another problem in addition to the trigger issue.

Have you check if a) more than one BB's in the in the firing chamber or b) no BB in chamber?

I have 2 Colt 1911 Combat Vet's. The 27 shot extended mag works sort of OK in one, but will not work in the other. But both work OK with regular 18 shot mag. Go figure.

My advise, contact Umarex USA, as I have found them helpful with issues, or your local Umarex repair centre. My local repairer, R&R Airgun Repair, has been very helpful in fixing issues with my airguns.

Good luck.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 4:20 pm 

Thanks for the replies.

That diagram is very useful, thanks.

I think the sear spring has something to do with it. I tried bending it the way you explained, but I was still having the issue. So I decided to try bending it other ways, and made it worse. It was not firing most of the time at one point. So I bended it back where it fired most of the time. I'm tempted to just get another pistol (I've been eyeing the ASG CZ 75 SP-01 Shadow BB gun lately.) I spent most of this weekend cleaning or trouble shooting this one and my SBR DPMS which is having a minor issue. If these problems I'm having with the Colt are worth anything, they taught me how to disassemble a 1911 Commander fairly quickly. :)

PostPosted: Sun Jun 30, 2019 5:29 pm 

I'm also wondering if it could be just a matter of trigger discipline too. Maybe these components weaken over time and I hold the trigger too tight after pulling it, preventing it from resetting properly.