Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:13 am 

Hello.

I have a small farm property, and am interested in picking up an air rifle both for small critter control and some plinking / teaching my kids to shoot.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a first rifle, or point me to something in the used section? I currently do not have my PAL, so that restricts my options of course.

I just want to avoid going to TSC / Canadian Tire / Walmart and buying something that turns out to be useless.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:21 am 

If one doesn't have a PAL, best option would be getting a 22 cal airgun. At least you get more knock down power, than a 177.

QB78 wouldn't be a bad choice, be lightest, easier to teach someone. But CO2, so subject to temp changes, and normally louder than say a break barrel. Break barrels are simple, but heavy and little harder to shoot. You could get a Crosman 1322 pumper, and a stock.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 9:52 am 

Hi; I started shopping at cabelas & hit road blocks.If i didn't have a PAL,they couldn't show me Pal required guns.So i set sights first on a springer,but also got a PAL.So the first was a heavy buttock springer[sold it].Next was a 1322 Crosman 22 cal. pumper/with the shoulder stock attachment.Cost was $100.00 approx..Still have it.I likened the PCP crase,so i purchased a PP700,fantastic pistol 22cal.w stock attach.Good for plinking critter control.Your dwnfall with a pcp,might be with your [clean] air supply.There are hand pumps designed spec.for PCP.guns.For my longer range shooting & delving further into the sport .My next purchase was a PCP Rifle,reaches out to 50-75 yds 22 cal again.There are tons of you tube videos,on low cost springers,pcp's all you have to do is look.This forum is very helpful,some very good retailers.Airgunarchery.com ,was my pcp pistol purchase.Rifle was Airgunsource.com,.The pump gun was at Cabelas.Hope this helps..

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 11:32 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
leadslinger wrote:
If one doesn't have a PAL, best option would be getting a 22 cal airgun. At least you get more knock down power, than a 177.

QB78 wouldn't be a bad choice, be lightest, easier to teach someone. But CO2, so subject to temp changes, and normally louder than say a break barrel. Break barrels are simple, but heavy and little harder to shoot. You could get a Crosman 1322 pumper, and a stock.

I'd second leadslinger on the QB78 as a first non-Pal rifle -it's a classic single shot bolt action airgun which is accurate, lightweight and inexpensive. I would take this over a springer any day of the week. Plus, you always have the option of converting to HPA in the future. Sure, CO2 is temperature sensitive, but probably not going to have much of an impact in terms of performance for your purposes. CO2 Caplets are not really very expensive, and a box of 40 goes a very long way. A non-PAL rifle won't have allot of "knock down" power, so yes, go .22 and limit your distance to pesting only those critters which can be humanely dispatched with a low power rifle.

*Air Arms S510 Extra*FX Streamline*Daystate Huntsman*Hatsan BT65*Benjamin Marauder*FX Dreamline*Cometa Orion*Weihrauch HW100S*QB78D 875 FPS*Brocock Concept*Artemis PP700S-A*Diana Chaser*Snowpeak CP1-M*Artemis PP800*FX Radar*Kral Puncher*Artemis M11*

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:23 pm 

We forget the OP just has a dream place to shoot - a real farm!!

So before asking the budget, I suggest the OP to get the PAL first as that will widely open your window in air-gunning! At least you can shoot something in a longer distance like beyond 10 meters....

If budget allowed, go for some higher price guns (like German made, UK made...) will give you a much long lasting time to just enjoy shooting not include other things like taking GOOD care of your gun in order it can keep shooting...etc....

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:39 pm 

YepYep wrote:
We forget the OP just has a dream place to shoot - a real farm!!

So before asking the budget, I suggest the OP to get the PAL first as that will widely open your window in air-gunning! At least you can shoot something in a longer distance like beyond 10 meters....

If budget allowed, go for some higher price guns (like German made, UK made...) will give you a much long lasting time to just enjoy shooting not include other things like taking GOOD care of your gun in order it can keep shooting...etc....

Depends on where hes located, you can have a real farm and be in a populated area. Farm doesn't always mean middle of no wheres. I can go in town, and there would be farms on the main drag. But wouldn't be safe to shoot. Friend bought a place and plenty of trees, but if he got caught with a gun, he be in trouble. Where out this way.. 5mins away, meh..

PAL rated, for pesting. Ive been just telling people to get a 22LR. For some reason, I can shoot a 22LR well, airgun not so well.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:30 pm 

Hmm ~ that should be considered...

Let's see how the OP says when he returns.... (Must be surprised for the hot topic ~ [emoji38])

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 5:28 am 

Caydel wrote:
Hello.

I have a small farm property, and am interested in picking up an air rifle both for small critter control and some plinking / teaching my kids to shoot.

Can anyone make a recommendation for a first rifle, or point me to something in the used section? I currently do not have my PAL, so that restricts my options of course.

I just want to avoid going to TSC / Canadian Tire / Walmart and buying something that turns out to be useless.

Hello and welcome Caydel!

First and foremost, I strongly recommend checking your local laws (city/province) to see if it's legal to shoot small game/pests with an under-500 fps air gun. None of my business, but it may help to keep you out of trouble.

Then, what's your budget? Prices vary from under 100$ to well over 2000$. Of course, as with anything, you get what you pay for.

Do you want to be able to shoot year long, or you just want a ''summer gun''? CO2 guns should be avoided if you want to shoot in winter outdoor. PCPs/HPA (High Pressure Air), multi-pump or break barrel/spring-piston air guns are OK in winter/cold temps.

As for caliber, yes .22 has more knock-down power, but in some areas there's more availability for pellets choice in .177. Usually you'll have to test many brands of pellets to see which shoots more accurately in your particular gun, because it may vary greatly from gun to gun, even for guns of same brand/model. When hunting/pesting, shot placement/accuracy is more critical than knock-down power for a humane kill. Also .22 pellets are usually more expensive than .177.

For break barrels/spring piston or multi pump air guns, when you have the gun you just need to buy pellets to shoot it. With CO2 guns, additionnally you will need to buy CO2 cartridges to shoot. And if going PCP/HPA, you will need a hand pump or compressor to fill your gun's tank.

Depending on the distance you will shoot, you may want/need to be able to put a scope on your air gun. Not all air guns will have open sights, or have a rail to install a scope.

As a personnal preference, I'd recommend going for a good quality break barrel in .22, like the Weihrauch HW30S or Diana 240. They're available in non-PAL form, have good open sights but can be scoped, have very good triggers, they are accurate air guns and are simple to master and use. They're also rather light in weight and easy to cock, so a youngster will find it easier to use. They can be made to shoot over 500 fps if/when you get your PAL (though not to Magnum-power level), and they have a good resale value.

Without you giving more details, it's somewhat hard to make a ''good'' recommendation. That would be nice to hear back from you :wink: .