Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:01 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Import air rifle from US
PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2019 10:57 pm 

Hope to inquire what to expect when you buy from a US seller. I am looking at getting a .22 HW30S deluxe from Airguns of Arizona for myself and teenage son and having it delivered in Ontario. It's less than 500 fps so no PAL required. Can I import it and send it to my Ontario address? Is there anything I should be aware off before I make the purchase?

Thank you for the advice.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:49 am 

Are you certain AOA will even ship up here? If they do make sure the box has that the rifle shoots under the limit written on it in the specs . Otherwise you may have a Hard time getting it with no PAL also most rifles need some sort of import docs .

HW97 .177
HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX .223,22,177,172
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:27 am 

I'd recommend getting it from Dlairgun, since it's basically the same price, you are supporting a Canadian dealer, and you'll save yourself a lot of headache and customs broker fees =)
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihra ... s/hw-30-s2

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:50 am 

AoA really do have some nice special version of the guns we can't find elsewhere. The Deluxe version HW30s is definitely one of them.

I planned to get the laminated stock version from AoA before... However I remember AoA won't ship to Canada (I suggest you ask again, maybe things would change...), and I don't have a broker to help to import it (some paperwork need to be finished)...

Maybe if you have an US mailing address, you may want to go over the border and bring it back ?

Otherwise, D&L in BC will be the nice source for HW guns in Canada.

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 12:39 pm 

Sorry about that, I see now the Deluxe version. That's a great price!
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 1:27 pm 

Yeah... AoA is such.a great store offering good price and so many special version guns... Some are AoA executive you have no chance to find elsewhere...

So sad we Canadian laws and customs block those great stuffs out of our border...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 2:43 pm 

I concur with what the past couple of posters have said.

If you can get it from a CDN supplier, that might be your best bet. I have dealt with D&L, and found them very fair to deal with. Did you ask Quentin if he can get you the "deluxe" model in, as special order?

I see D&L has a HW 30 that shoots at up to 495 fps, where as the one at AoA only shoots at up to 425. I find that 70 fps can make a bit of a difference.

If you are buying from USA the process is not THAT bad, just got to keep a # of things in mind, based on my personal experience from importing more than 13 non-PAL airguns from the USA in past few years;

1) Exchange rate for CDN dollar is going to make any USA deal a lot more expensive by the time you do the conversion. The US $ is currently at around $1.33 CDN, but the credit card companies and paypal will charge you about an extra 2.5% to convert funds, so that's less than 73.5 cents US for a CDN $.
2) Better make sure the seller agrees to sell to Canada, before you pay, as sometimes they charge restocking fees to cancel an order.
3) Make sure the seller notes that it is an airgun and what the muzzle velocity is in FPS on the import document. Also make, model & caliber will help in the importation. If it is incorrectly classified, it can take a lot longer to clear.
4) Be aware that any shipper other than USPS/Canada Post may have fairly high customs brokerage fees. UPS for example can charge 2 - 3 x the shipping cost to broker the package. Brokerage fees of $70-80 on a $400 shipment is not uncommon. Canada Post has a flat $10 fee. Excessive brokerage fees can make a good deal, not so good, once you get it home. Found this out the hard way a # of years ago. Thought Pyramyd Air was way cheaper on the purchase of a second "John Wayne" "Duke" Colt Peacemaker, than the first one I bought from Ark Army Surplus. After factoring in exchange, extra shipping charges and brokerage, they were both almost the same price.
5) Most of the Customs offices in Eastern Canada process fairly quickly. But if it clears thru Vancouver, it can take months for Customs to get around clearing it.
6) Be aware that bad things can happen when you are dealing with Canada Customs. Although I have not has any bad experiences with them, I have heard real bad stories from others.
7) Just pray that nothing is wrong with the airgun when you get it, or it does not need to go back to the seller in the USA for warranty repairs.

Good luck with what ever route you decide to go. Looks like a nice gun.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:48 pm 

I am thinking if we drive a car and bring in that non PAL air rifle and declear it when passing the border? Looks the case will be handled right away (as I am waiting in the counter right?) or the worst happens like some police with long and short guns plus vest come over and bring me into another room to ask questions?!

Some of my friends brought their tires in thought this way...

===
The 495fps HW30 should be the detuned .177 version and the 425fps should be the full power .22 version ( use same main spring as the full power .177 @ 600fps something... )

Deluxe version and laminated version just have different stock as the regular version, power the same, a bit heavier and much better looking ~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:28 pm 

I have had 2 airguns shipped to a PO box in a border town on the USA side of the border & brought into Canada myself. Both were vintage airguns, more than 30 years old, and both were sub 500 fps. Both times border crossing was not very busy. Both times I declared it as a sub 500 fps airgun & had the owners manual with me to prove fps and bill of sale (off eBay)(I got manuals off internet before I went to pick up rifles). Both times, no problems, cleared border in less than one minute. No taxes charged.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:54 pm 

That would be a good practice!

Maybe I should give it a try to buy something interesting from the neighbor in the future ~

Reading your post made me nervous and afraid to see a 'BUT' at the end... Finally I see what happened just gave me a peace in the mind... [emoji38]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:59 pm 

I have order airguns and rifles from AoA a fer time, get to deal with.

I recently picked up a .22 hw30s nickel look with a basic stock.

Great deal and awesome rifle.

I have only ordered non-pal products, but all transactions have gone flawlessly.

Kindly

Pete

PostPosted: Thu Aug 15, 2019 9:08 pm 

Nice!
Hi Pete, AoA shipped your guns to Canada?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 6:21 am 

Thank you for the input. I did verify with AoA if they deliver to Ontario and they said YES. Even if it's below 500 FPS, they require a PAL. I did ask them if they had issues with other orders to Canada. No issues so far. Mine could be the first:) I also called CBSA to find out if there was anything special I needed to do before I order. As long as it's below 500 FPS and properly labeled, there shouldn't be a problem. They did mention brokerage/custom fees which the shipper will facilitate. I will need to recalculate the cost with all the fees and fx rate if it's worth it. And I will also ask D&L if they can get a special order and compare . The deluxe version looks nice and unique. I have a HW85 and I want something that looks different. Thanks again for the help.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 7:55 am 

Great! Nice to see AoA is going to ship to Ontario...

Maybe you need to confirm with AoA that the extra fees are collected by them and they will handle everything and you only need to provide the PAL and wait fir the delivery to your door?

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:07 pm 

With taxes, echange rate, brokerage fees, shipping charges expect to pay almost double the asking price (I'd say high 500/low 600$ for the laminate depending on your province taxes).
That's about what is being charged by PA when having stuff delivered here.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun