Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 9:31 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2019 1:51 pm 

Good day everyone, two questions, do any of you know where I can get a main spring for my Stoeger A 30.
So far Stoeger in oshawa are no help. 2nd , I understand the air hole in a piston is supposed to relieve air. But how does it do that if the spring guide is behind the hole.
Thank you.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2019 2:33 pm 

For your spring, I'm not 100% sure but I think you can use a Crosman one for the B18/19 platform (Optimus, Phantom etc). Take careful measurments of yours and compare to those used by Crosman. I unfortunately don't have these dimensions on hand, but a little search here on the forum may help, or maybe someone who has one in hand could chime in, that would be great. You could check with Eric at Scopes and Ammo to see if he still can get them, or check with Gravel Agency here: https://crosman.ca/ to order it.

The air hole, even if it seems to be plugged by the ''spring guide'' (actually a top hat), does let air bleed through it. If your spring is broken, it may in fact be the cause of the failure, because it makes the piston slam in the face of the compression chamber, transmitting very harsh vibrations to the spring. I actually had a scope destroyed on a Benjamin break barrel rifle because of that. A solution is to plug the hole in the piston and then cut the spring to re-detune the rifle to under 500 fps. You'll gain a much longer spring life, and very possibly better accuracy due to the smoother firing cycle. However you should have a chrony to measure the velocity, to be sure you get the rifle to shoot under 500 fps after the mod.

Oh, and welcome to the CAF :)

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2019 6:18 pm 

I agree w/ airmec except rather than cut the spring I'd shorten or remove the guide spacer. it all depends on what spring you have and what caliber, and assuming you want to keep it <500fps. In short, it's better have a longer spring so that's why I suggest not cutting it.
The Gravel Agency either stocks what you need, or can get virtually any Crosman part. Parts lists; http://tinyurl.com/Crosman-Parts
Just find a similar gun to use its parts list, examples would be the Optimus for coil spring parts, or the Venom for gas spring parts. Just know that there are only one set of full power parts for each of those two guns, but many <500fps parts since they went about reducing power in various ways over time. The parts lists on the Crosman site and pretty much all full power, and to get your exact power replacement may be iffy. Like yours may also have a weaker spring, so did they use the same springs and part #'s Crosman did? Maybe, maybe not. If yours leaked out rather quickly then I'll assume it was the same as the Crosman. I have the dimensions and parts #'s of the Crosman springs if you need.
The psi in the chamber is likely >1000psi, but who knows. All I know for sure is it's a lot. When the pressure is up there a coil spring extended has maybe 50lbs force tops, so the spring hat/guide isn't stopping it. A gas spring gun has ~3x that force, but that's still not enough. I believe it may also have grooves cut in the face of the top hat to vent the air regardless. I spoze if you could get a small small tube in the transfer port you could blow into it and see how easily it vents as-is. Venting pressure via leaky seals is bad for the gun, a coil spring, the scope, accuracy and of course power. Leaking via a big hole in the piston is imo way worse. But it's a cheap way to make the legal CA limit so that's what you get. Picture a car engine w/ holes in the pistons to reduce power, which would also be stupid. If you were to do it right, and you can, the gun would cock and shoot very differently, all for the better.
Yeah, Steoger is no help when it comes to their own airguns. When I spoke to them they hadn't even cronied the guns, they simply shot one or so guns a few times and said "it seemed fine". Swear to god... They are not really Stoeger guns, but chinese copies of someone elses tech to make a buck, so why would they know about them. Even Crosman seems knows very little, or at least anyone you can can reach does. I'm guessing those there who do know are too busy for us mortals.
I have a tuning guide if you want, which not only explains how the gun works, but how to patch the hole + all kinds of other stuff you can do to make the gun better; chevota at hotmail.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 2:20 pm 

Thanks for the info on my stoeger a30, got it all figured, and yes I did see the bleed holes.
On another note. I have a gletcher mosin sawn off 1891. Just because I like the replicas. However it is a pain to hold. I was holding it like the old flint locks of old. This worked well and it has some pep. I even put a pellet in there sometimes. They should have made it pellet shooting. I began to lose power and was ready to send it away, then noticed the scew at the rear of the safety was loose. Tightening this up and was back in business. The sights are no good for bbs as I cannot see where they hit.so.i knocked out the sight pins, pretty tight. And discovered a 20 mm dovetail below. Great. I did a quick scope mount, and presto, I can see the hits and it is pretty damn accurate. I hated to take away the authenticity but now it's a joy to shoot. But still a pain to hold. I lean on and over a 5 ft step.
Thanks again to everyone for your help on the stoeger. By and by , their website and ordering is something to be desired. One last thing. How do I respond to a sale I might be interested in.
Cheers.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:39 pm 

B4b5 wrote:
Thanks again to everyone for your help on the stoeger. By and by , their website and ordering is something to be desired. One last thing. How do I respond to a sale I might be interested in.
Cheers.

You send a Private Message (PM) to the seller. Click the PM button at the bottom of his ad message. :D

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2019 10:09 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
B4b5 wrote:
Cheers.

You send a Private Message (PM) to the seller. Click the PM button at the bottom of his ad message. :D

Thank you for the buy info.
Also the dove fail on the m1891 is more like a over size 11mm. I took off the scope and mounted a red dot. Not the tube style. Now I can get good groups. About 12 bb in 3/4 inch out of 17 at 28 ft.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 9:37 pm 

B4b5 wrote:
Good day everyone, two questions, do any of you know where I can get a main spring for my Stoeger A 30.
So far Stoeger in oshawa are no help. 2nd , I understand the air hole in a piston is supposed to relieve air. But how does it do that if the spring guide is behind the hole.
Thank you.

And of course you have a PAL