Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:50 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 7:47 am 

Hello Gang.

I've been researching and reading about air guns for a couple of years now, and have been a 'lurker' on this forum for a while. I got my PAL and did the Ontario Hunter's course last fall, although I have no intention of becoming a serious hunter. I just like learning new things and as many of you probably know, the PAL and Hunter's course is primarily focused on firearms safety which is a good thing to learn about. I'm getting close to purchasing an air rifle, so I thought it was high time I joined the forum.

My username stands for Jack Of All Trades, Master of None and my year of birth is 1966. I'm coming into guns a little late in life, but better late than never. :-) I have had many hobbies over the years and continue to enjoy myself on the weekends as best I can as I'm still running my own business with the intention of retiring in a few years. There are lots of plans for retirement, but I want to try to incorporate air gun shooting in there somehow.

I still have my Daisy BB gun that I got when I was 10 years old, and I've fired a few rifles with friends over the years. I've been down to Vegas a few times and fired off a number of crazy weapons which is fun, but not something I'm interested for personal use (even if they were legal here in Canada). Handguns are interesting to play with in Vegas, but I'm really only interested in long guns for my personal use.

I have a couple of goals that I want to accomplish and then I'll take if from there. First off is target plinking, learning ballistics, and how to properly fire a rifle (grip, stance, breathing, trigger control, etc.). I have an engineering/analytical background so learning the theory is interesting and fun for me. I'm also old enough to know that while theory is great, the only way to become proficient at something is through practice, practice, and more practice. :-)

Next will be dealing with some varmints. :-) I live in Brooklin, Ontario just east of Toronto in a subdivision. I have some rabbits and squirrels that are doing some damage and the local bylaws allow for the discharge of firearms in the subdivision to deal with property damaging varmints. My wife and I also have a cottage/retirement property in the countryside with 50 acres for me to shoot to my heart's content without having to leave my own property. We have chipmunks, squirrels and rabbits to be dealt with there too.

After I get my first rifle and get proficient enough to graduate from novice to maybe a 'beginner/intermediate' shooter, we'll see where I go from there. History shows that I tend to immerse myself in a hobby for a few years and get into the 'better than average' category, and then my interests turn to something new to learn. :-) If I'm enjoying the hobby, then I'd be interested in being involved in a club and doing some competition shooting once I'm retired. Our country place is very close to a gun club Prince Edward Rod & Gun Club), but I'm thinking that most of the members there are powder burners. They love their shotguns and clay pigeon leagues. :-) They have a 100 yard long gun range there too, but I haven't popped over yet to see what the club members are firing. Field Target competition looks really interesting to me, but there would be a lot of time and travel to compete. We'll see where I am in 4 or 5 years once I settle into the retirement routine. :-)

I guess that's all for now. I'll probably be purchasing my gun in the next couple of months so that I can get a little shooting in before winter hits. It would be nice to deal with some of my four legged pests this fall. :-)

Cheers.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:14 am 

Cheers! Welcome on board Joatmon66 Gray ~

Nice introduction and great planning! What you own just makes us jealousy as many of us have to shoot in our too short distance home range in basement or garages.... You only need is a (or more) guns to fill your collection ~

I am pretty sure you will keep this hobby for a very very long time as new challenges every day and won't make you feel boring ~ And it's just so addicting...

As you can offer the high end expensive rifles ( actually not that expensive as you would expected, the cost of airgunning is cheap...), there are some must buy guns... Like a HW97, and (or) TX200 under-lever springer. Super accurate and fun to shoot with the spring recoils~

And Pre-Charged Pneumatic (PCP) rifles which stands for super high power and accurate rifles for next step...

Then break-barrel springers like HW35, HW80 are my favors too...

If the above rifles were too easy to be managed or too accurate, less challenges... There are many 'sensitive' Magnum springers which really do need you to practice holding, breathing, pose, etc etc to shoot well...

Welcome to the infinity!
Ken

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

Last edited by YepYep on Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:22 am 

Welcome to the forum, I don't know where you're gonna start with this new hobby, but I warn you to hold on to your wallet.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 8:35 am 

[emoji38] That's true, very cheap to start but will make you to spend more and more ~ However it worth every penny I spent IMO, including some guns end up I don't want to keep and sold, I learn different knowledge on them ~

Anyway, cheaper than my last hobby on moding my car.... Right now repairing my car is more than I expected ~ [emoji38]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 9:28 am 

Welcome! Thanks for the great introduction. Wishing you all the best in your new hobby! That hundred yard range near your house sounds great, and a good opportunity to pick up a nice pcp for longer range shooting =)
Cheers,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:13 pm 

Thank you all for your prompt and kind welcomes. It's always good to feel part of a like minded community.

Ken - Thanks for your feedback and guidance, and I agree. In the past when I've started out in a hobby with "beginner" equipment, I've tended to outgrow it fairly quickly and found myself wishing I'd started with the "intermediate" equipment. Unless something comes up to drastically change my mind, I think I've settled on the TX200. The only shortcoming that seems to be a common concern is that it's a bit heavy if you are a hunter and carrying it all day, or if you are firing it regularly off hand. I foresee myself shooting from a table, a shooting stick or in a supported position of some sort. Other than some varmint control, I don't think I'll be trekking through the bush with the gun much at all. I like the accuracy that a good marksman is getting from it, and I like the separate cocking lever as opposed to the break barrel. I think it's a gun that is way beyond my current skill to fully benefit from, but I think it will keep me happy as my skill improves without having to chase another gun. I'll put a reasonably priced scope on it for now and if my shooting improves at the longer distance, I can upgrade the scope as necessary down the road. Looking at the Hawke Airmax 3-9x40.

PCPs are off in the distance if I'm having tons of shooting fun in retirement. I also tend to like to do things the simple (aka - harder) way at the beginning as I tend to learn the basics well, and appreciate more advanced equipment if I progress along. If I start out with a $4K PCP rig, I'll never know what it's like to handle the more challenging springers. Not sure if that's true or not, but that my thoughts at this point in time.

pistolero - I'm an experienced hobbiest and well acquainted of how fast the money can fly out of a person's wallet. :-) I'm fortunate to have fairly healthy budget for hobby spending, plus I'm getting the added support of my adorable wife as I'll be controlling some of the damage to her garden and our house and shed by dealing with pests. Spousal support is critical to the budget. :-) This is what is allowing me to start off with one of the best springers out there so that I'm not chasing another gun next year. If for some reason I don't follow through over the long run, I have a family member in the next generation that is quite into guns, and the TX200 is the type of gun that can be handed down for a few generations if it's well looked after.

Yep-Yep - As you said, compared to some hobbies, air gunning is quite reasonable and it's great because you can be having just as much fun whether you spend a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars.

wesb2007 - Thanks for the enthusiasm and encouragement!! I think I'm a few years off yet before I'm trying to hit any target smaller than a 4x8 sheet of plywood at 100 yds. with a pellet gun. :-)

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Cheers.
Gary

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:15 pm 

Don't say 'one gun is enough' too early ~ you will need the next one soon until your pocket empties ~ [emoji38]

For example, a lighter but as good as the TX200 for you can bring into the bushes.... right?! ;-)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:33 pm 

Welcome aboard, Jack.
I'll just add my 2c and say the TX200 is a good choice for a springer, even as the first one, and not likely to be a choice you'll ever regret. If you are shooting off a bench, the weight won't be a problem, and actually will help you realize the capability of the rifle - which is excellent.
Set up a range on your 50 acre property, and hold a meet. You'll meet some real enthusiasts with a variety of equipment you can play with. :lol: :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:32 pm 

Thanks Dukemister. It's good to hear that my research didn't lead me to some gun that you guys think would be some sort of train wreck. :-) I'll keep the notion of hosting an event in mind. There's certainly plenty of open areas and bush to make it happen. I should probably purchase my first gun before I start planning to host events. Ha. Ha. The seed has been planted. :-)

Yep Yep. - I will defer to your obvious wisdom that owning more than one gun is the way to go!! They do say that variety is the spice of life. :-)

Cheers.
Gary

Last edited by Joatmon66 on Mon Aug 19, 2019 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:45 pm 

Welcome to the forum Gary and thanks for the thorough intro!! I'm sure your stay here will be an informative and stimulating one. You made a good choice with the TX200. I've had mine for 6 years and have no regrets. Aside from the hefty weight, the rifle is a winner on all counts. I love the style, finish, fish scale checkering, accuracy and consistency from this springer. As long as you do your part and maintain the same grip/hold on every shot, you'll be very satisfied with the results downrange. Since you will be doing bench shooting, this is a good rifle to start off with to really improve your marksmanship. I bench shoot mine all the time at the range. Some times it can be frustrating to shoot; especially if you take a long layoff from it. The follow through and consistent hold/grip is vital. Once you learn to shoot a springer well with proficiency, you'll be able to transfer over to PCP's with ease. Have fun on your 50 acres and happy shooting!

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 6:30 pm 

Thanks for the welcome Megiddo65.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your TX200 and that you think it's a good choice based on what I want to do at this point in time. Until I'm retired and in the country full time, I don't know how much time I'll be getting for consistent practice. It will basically be the occasional weekend during the summer unless I track down a suitable location close to our home in Whitby/Brooklin. I'm sure it will be a long time before there's any serious consistency in my shooting at longer distances, but we'll make the most of it and have fun. I'm not in a rush and really just want to have some fun plinking. The pests at our subdivision home will be less than 10 yards away, so I'd like to hope I can be good enough at that distance fairly soon to ensure a humane dispatch of them. At the country property I suspect I'd be at the 25 to 30 yards range so I'm going to want to be pretty happy with my accuracy before taking a shot on anything that's alive. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I walked right by a rabbit that just sat in the garden and watched me and I was probably 20 feet away from it. That trust could end up misplaced this fall. :-)

Cheers.
Gary

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 8:30 pm 

Joatmon66 wrote:
Thanks for the welcome Megiddo65.

I'm glad to hear that you enjoy your TX200 and that you think it's a good choice based on what I want to do at this point in time. Until I'm retired and in the country full time, I don't know how much time I'll be getting for consistent practice. It will basically be the occasional weekend during the summer unless I track down a suitable location close to our home in Whitby/Brooklin. I'm sure it will be a long time before there's any serious consistency in my shooting at longer distances, but we'll make the most of it and have fun. I'm not in a rush and really just want to have some fun plinking. The pests at our subdivision home will be less than 10 yards away, so I'd like to hope I can be good enough at that distance fairly soon to ensure a humane dispatch of them. At the country property I suspect I'd be at the 25 to 30 yards range so I'm going to want to be pretty happy with my accuracy before taking a shot on anything that's alive. Having said that, a couple of weeks ago I walked right by a rabbit that just sat in the garden and watched me and I was probably 20 feet away from it. That trust could end up misplaced this fall. :-)

Cheers.
Gary

Your new TX200 will be perfect up to 30 yards. I found my 5 shot group sizes were up to a dime size at 30 yards. After that, they spread out a little bit when you move past 35 yards. If you purchase the TX200 brand new, it'll take about 1000 shots to break it in. There will be some dieseling as well. My velocity readings increased after the break-in period.
Have fun with those critters. If they get out of hand and you need some more artillery, just let me a know and I'll be there in 45 minutes. Lol!! I actually trek out to Whitby every weekend for some ice time at the Des Newman sports complex.

Megiddo65

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:47 pm 

Joatmon66 wrote:
The pests at our subdivision home will be less than 10 yards away, so I'd like to hope I can be good enough at that distance fairly soon to ensure a humane dispatch of them.

Your TX200 will be printing one hole at this distance. So you aim at the eye, the pellet won't hit on the nose ~ Just make sure you hold your gun well and setup the trigger as well after some practice, it's just a piece of cake ~

And you may check out if your scope can provide a clear picture as close as to 10 yards...

And pick a pellet your gun loves ~

I think your tx200 is 12ft lbs? Good enough for your pest control needs

And you are ready to go then!

Enjoy!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

Post subject: Newbie saying Hello
PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:06 pm 

Hi everyone. I've been a member for a while but haven't posted very much.
I have a large collection of BB and Pellet guns I've been collecting since I was a kid.
In fact, I have too many to display and most are stored in their boxes.
I have some I may consider selling too.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 5:26 pm 

megiddo65 & Yep Yep.

Thanks for the feedback and advice. Your comments bring up a couple of questions for me to research and possibly post in the general discussion page for feedback.

Thanks again to everyone for the warm welcome and advice/support.

Happy shooting.
Gary