Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 10:47 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
Awesome shooting range you have there....lots here too but at least you won't have to be concerned with overly curious black bears and wolves like we do here...
[emoji38] didn't you only need to concern if the season coming or not and if you need something bigger for the wolves and bears?!

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:58 pm 

Nice to see this Wes!

I am still doing the bulk of my test shooting from prone. I like the control of a front only rest, and it really clues me into some of the shooting habits I get into, good or bad. I keep it high tech with a good stiff cardboard carton for a rest. That seems to equal my off-hand hold the closest.

I've been taking it easy with zero's so far this summer. Lots of wind drift on every outing.
The half slash marks in the Discovery reticles seem to help a lot on wind drift, but I'm a poor estimator of gusts.
I need to do some work with .22 again soon. All I've been doing since spring is .177. I like the flatter trajectory it provides at the upper mid 8's...

On holidays now and am hoping for a calmer day Thursday, or Friday, so's I can get a little more test work in. A lot of pellets are ending up in the "wait for a gun that likes them" pile :mrgreen:

-D.S.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:05 pm 

apitagan wrote:
Yes please keep us posted.. Interested to find out how the slugs would perform..

wesb2007 wrote:
Lol, well, I'm hoping once I get my table/shooting bench I'll have some better results, along with some more practice.
The slugs are due to arrive today! I'm interested in the M11 performance with them and will be going to 100 yards if possible with those.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

I sure will, thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:06 pm 

MyCrosman wrote:
Awesome shooting range you have there....lots here too but at least you won't have to be concerned with overly curious black bears and wolves like we do here...

Thanks! Yeah not too many bears here :D

PostPosted: Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:08 pm 

Doc Sharptail wrote:
Nice to see this Wes!

I am still doing the bulk of my test shooting from prone. I like the control of a front only rest, and it really clues me into some of the shooting habits I get into, good or bad. I keep it high tech with a good stiff cardboard carton for a rest. That seems to equal my off-hand hold the closest.

I've been taking it easy with zero's so far this summer. Lots of wind drift on every outing.
The half slash marks in the Discovery reticles seem to help a lot on wind drift, but I'm a poor estimator of gusts.
I need to do some work with .22 again soon. All I've been doing since spring is .177. I like the flatter trajectory it provides at the upper mid 8's...

On holidays now and am hoping for a calmer day Thursday, or Friday, so's I can get a little more test work in. A lot of pellets are ending up in the "wait for a gun that likes them" pile :mrgreen:

-D.S.

Thanks Doc! That's a great way to shoot as well! Enjoy your holiday and happy shooting when you get back to the range!

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:42 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
First up was the M11 and I was shooting the King and King Heavy. They were Ok but not the best, then I switched to try out the 25 cal predator polymag and was really happy with those, giving me 7 shots out of 9 at 0.7" and then two shots I let get away from me (first target pic). Another friend bought one and had the opposite effect, with the king and king heavy doing well, so I guess it depends on the barrel. The M11 was set to shoot around 870fps with the Kings.

I got the .25 cal M11 specifically for hunting Grouse and Rabbits this fall/winter and am pleased to see your results with the Predator Polymags at 55 yards..! The Polymags are just a little heavier than the Kings so should be close to your 870 FPS mark; plenty of wallop for DRT results on small game :mrgreen:

I'm really hoping the new slugs coming into your shop fit the Artemis M11 Magazine and sizzle out of that 21 inch barrel..!
Congratulations on your new range permission and a great day out Wes.

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2019 7:04 pm 

Thanks very much! I'll get out as soon as I can and try the slugs and report on mag compatibility.
Thanks,
Wes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 8:36 pm 

Hi Guys! Made it out to the range again today. Ran out of time so only had time to shoot five 33gr, five 36gr and nine 36.2 gr slugs in the 25 cal M11, plus some Benjamin Hollowpoint 27gr. The first 3 slugs would have a couple in the same hole, then a flier. The 36.2 showed more promise at 50 and 100 but I'll need to try them again to get a proper picture. Had some guests come join me, and was fun! The owner of the gravel pits and his son came to try out the guns. We only got as far as the Diana Outlaw, then they had to go. I was out shot badly by the owner of the Gravel pits! Shows I need some practice! He put three nicely in a line at 51 yards with the Barracuda match, around 5/8". Then he shot 4 shots at 100 yards and got them within 7/8"(looks like 3 but one was almost same hole, or that's what we figured :D ) . I was not doing nearly as well =(.
This guy regularly shoots long range with black powder, but he said he was wobbly today, out of practice! Well, I've got my work cut out to match him!
His shots were much better so I'll show his.
I did get 11 shots all in one big ragged hole at 50 yards with the Outlaw but the hole was oblong and over an inch big =) ImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:09 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Hi Guys! Made it out to the range again today. Ran out of time so only had time to shoot five 33gr, five 36gr and nine 36.2 gr slugs in the 25 cal M11, plus some Benjamin Hollowpoint 27gr. The first 3 slugs would have a couple in the same hole, then a flier. The 36.2 showed more promise at 50 and 100 but I'll need to try them again to get a proper picture. ImageImageImage

Nice shooting Wes! Do you have the picture of the groupings you shot with the Artemis 11 and the ammo used as well?

Thanks...

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 11:24 pm 

I'll have to show them next time. I put a different scope on and spent time sighting in and made a bit of a mess of the targets and didnt switch to new ones til the fellows joined me, so the shots got all mixed up as I changed slugs and point of impact changed.
I can take a look and see if there is anything decipherable, but I'm not counting on it =)

I should make some comments though on the slugs. They fit nicely in the mag without any need to seat the pellets. However because of the flat back the slugs get pushed into the barrel chamber farther and takes a good final push to get them all the way in. I suppose they hitting the rifling and there is some definite resistance. Definitely wouldn't want .218, as these .217 are pretty tight.

Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2019 6:35 pm 

Hi Guys! Got out for a bit of shooting at 100 yards with my M11 25 cal and another customer's that wanted it tested. I also brought a 177 Outlaw.

I put the 2nd barrel band on my gun and shot a nice five shot group with it, with JSB King 25.4gr.
I had the 2nd barrel band close to the end of the wood stock
I had used up air on it getting things sighted in and ended up switching scopes so by the time I got that group I was running down on air.
So I switched guns and tried a group without the barrel band first and got a decent group with the 33.95gr jsb heavy.
Then I shot some 25gr jsb king and they did pretty well too.
I put the 2nd barrel band on and things went worse, but I spent a bunch of time resighting it as it drastically changed poi, so didn't do a lot of experimenting on the position of the barrel band. Could be if the band is in the right position it might help.
I switched back to without the band, and shot some pretty good groups with polymag and with the kings.
This was a very gusty day for most of the time and I am not the best shooter so don't blame these groups all on the guns! I noticed a very small change in how I held the gun when I pull the trigger would cause a change in poi.
Lastly I wanted to get a few shots in with the 177 and didn't know how it would go with the wind but I put in some monsters and got a nice group. 2 fliers out of 7 that I think was the wind. The 5 shots are really nice.
I tried the beast as well and didn't have great success.
Since I was so short of time I reluctantly had to leave the slugs out of my session. I brought a 177 sampler and the 25 sampler and never shot any.
Next time! One of you retired guys needs to buy a sampler and post your results on here for us to see!
Regards,
Wes
All in all it was a lot of fun. Sun was shining and was a beautiful day to be outside. Except the biting flies! I guess they got a last meal wintertoo so good for them, lolImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:39 pm 

Home-made bench. The top is 3/4" plywood. The legs are Canadian Tire folding legs.
Mine if the bottom picture.

Len liked mine so much, he made one like it(top picture).

Attachments:
Gophers2009009.jpg
Gophers2009009.jpg [ 162 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]
Gophers2009007.jpg
Gophers2009007.jpg [ 146.39 KiB | Viewed 127 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 1:40 pm 

Nothing beats the jack as a shooting rest, Great idea on the DIY portable bench

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 4:24 pm 

Great ideas!