Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:44 pm 

Hello, maybe this post related to the HW45 owners here and who put a HW45 through a chrony to check the velocity...

Using my new FX radar pocket chrony on my HW45, and found it's shooting lower than I expected at about 415fps with the lightest lead pellet, the RWS Hobby, I have in hand... when shooting other 13g to 14g normal weight pellets, the velocity number is under 400fps... (Which Mr. Todd checked his more than 15 years ago was 461fps using RWS hobby)

Checked and replaced the breech seal, same result. So although I found a little wears on the old seal actually it's still doing well...

As the shape of the HW45, the actual barrel position with the outer frame, makes it's placed a bit higher than other guns when using the FX chrony, not sure if this will affect the result. And I have a spare chrony coming but I can't wait to see if anyone else has their chrony numbers on a HW45...

I just checked some old post, and there's saying the new generation (fiber optic sights) HW45 for Canada market, not matter .22 or .177, are both detuned... so the old stock of HW45 and the HW45 for US, UK markets are shooting higher than the CA version...

Any ideas?! So far as my HW45 is shooting well (using Hobby, shooting from 415 to 418, very consistently), I don't have planning to strip it to check other seals. Just want to make sure if I have to do so as Mr. Todd in the old post suggested we should also check the piston seal if needed...

Thanks~

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:56 pm 
Supporting Members

Depends on what barrel he was testing with. I have .177 .22 and .20 for mine........and as you can guess the .177 shoots higher than the .22

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:17 pm 

At the case, I actually only means the .22 version... (I put it on the subject already ~ ;-) )

And the 461fps Hobby Mr. Todd checked was also the .22 caliber. Just wondering if anyone's HW45 can shoot that fast... Or say mine is normal or need to be checked...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:52 pm 
Supporting Members

It depends......is yours new or used? If used did you clean the barrel and check for lubrication? How is the breach seal?.........lots of little thing affect the velocity. 415 in .22 isnt too bad.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 9:55 pm 
Supporting Members

https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihrauch-pistols

Look at the specs from the factory......and usually they are higher than what you get because they use the lightest pellet to get the highest FPS

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:01 pm 

I bought new maybe about a year before? But not shooting too much, pretty sure less than a thousand shots...

Barrel should be clean, I remember last time before I put it back into the case, I cleaned the barrel...

Never replaced the breech seal before (lubed once I think) until tonight.

I am thinking the dental floss trick tomorrow...

If 415fps is not very bad I can have a good sleep tonight then~ [emoji38] Just wondering how Todd got the 460fps that high~ must be 2 different generations of the HW45...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:03 pm 

Don't know from pocket chronys, but these results were obtained from my trusty Shooting Chrony F1 at about 8' from the muzzle...

RWS Hobbys (11.9g) avg.464.01 fps over 10 shots-high setting/full cock
Exact RS (13.43g) avg.402.75 fps high setting, 330.42 fps "low" setting

Mine's a newer (fibre optic sights) .22 cal. unit with the 2 power settings. While I've heard the rumors that some HW45s were hotter than others, I think it's mostly a marketing effort...
They're a very well-made, very demanding pistol. Shoot one if you can...

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:06 pm 

notec wrote:
https://dlairgun.com/collections/weihrauch-pistols

Look at the specs from the factory......and usually they are higher than what you get because they use the lightest pellet to get the highest FPS
Yeah, I checked that too... But not sure if the German gun makers will use this trick or not?! Because I read Todd got 461fps on the same pellet...

How about yours HW45?

I didn't have a Chrony before so I don't know if my HW45 shoots the same speed from day-1...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:10 pm 

57scott wrote:

RWS Hobbys (11.9g) avg.464.01 fps over 10 shots-high setting/full cock
Exact RS (13.43g) avg.402.75 fps high setting, 330.42 fps "low" setting

Great and that's super duper helpful!! I have both pellets as you tested and will test again when my spare chrony delivers maybe two weeks later...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 6:29 am 

I’ve had my HW45 for years now . At first , the shots were what I thought a little slow . I bought new seals , a replacement spring , and new orings throughout. Guess what , it still shoots at about 430 fps with 11 grain pellets .

It is what it is . I’m not sure how he was able to get that high a velocity but I suspect it had the perfect amount of lubrication. I have ran mine dry with only dry lube .

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:39 am 
Supporting Member 2009

There should be no need for the 22 cal version to be detuned as it's under 500ft/sec. How old is your pistol?

I always found Hobbies to be a tight fit in the bore.. Possibly reducing speed.

Someone posted on the forum a while ago that newer HW75's were shooting slower than their older versions. All sorts of theories were tossed around as to why this was so . Seems however, Weihrauch had new machines for producing barrels and the net result was a tighter bore, reducing velocity that was more noticeable on the lower powered guns like pistols. Perhaps the same is happening with the 22 versions?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:57 am 

Yeah, the Hobby is a very tight fit for my newer .22 HW45. And before I figured out I can same using a bamboo stick to push (seat) the pellet a bit deeper into the barrel like my break barrel rifles, I even had it jammed in my HW45... And after seating, you manually help the rifling 'pre-cut' the Hobby pellet, and benefitted by its light weight, it shoots fastest with my HW45.

The alloy super light weight pellet shoots slower than the hobby... Not sure if it's related to springer uses the sudden pressure increasing to generate energy to push the pellet, and the alloy pellet is not helping build up the pressure... I found similar result on my HW30 while using the RWS Hyper speed alloy pellet too...

And when using co2 guns, the released co2 will fill up the barrel until the pellet leaves the muzzle, so the alloy light weight pellets really make a faster number than lead pellets...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:02 am 

Just tried the dental floss threads under the o ring, not making difference.

It looks the breech hole seal seat is precisely cut to fit the o ring and provide the air seal performance well. We don't need any modification on it... If the seal worn out or damaged, just replace it with a new one is what we should do...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:29 pm 

My p1 shoots a 16 gr. jsb at 390 fps ,kelly

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:40 pm 

kelly1 wrote:
My p1 shoots a 16 gr. jsb at 390 fps ,kelly
That shoots pretty strong IMO~

And are you sure your P1 likes pellets that heavy?! It's more than 5 ft.lbs already...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender