Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: spring tar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:08 pm 

Hi guys! I am one month into this hobby and I have already four used air rifles in my collection and as you can guess I also have a lot of questions...This is my first post and I don"t know what to ask first...I would like to tune up all of my rifles and I got everything I need (I think :D ) but I don"t know where I can get some spring tar in Toronto (like walk in a store and buy it ) Ordering just this from an air gun supplier would cost more for shipping than the grease .I already ordered new seals ,some springs and moly paste (from Honda) but Gravel or Vortek did not have spring tar that I can add to the order .I hope that ,down the road,I will get enough experience and knowledge to be able to actively contribute to this forum. Thank you !

Post subject: Re: spring tar
PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:17 pm 

You can do without spring tar. Just moly up your spring. If you get adventurous try adding a spring sleeve with lots of moly on it.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:20 pm 

Jim Maccari in the USA has it, don’t know about shipping but most likely a jar will last you years.
Here is the website.

http://www.airrifleheadquarters.com/

Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 9:27 pm 

Thank you for quick response ! One of the rifles is an old Vostok izh 38 that is very noisy .I ordered a new spring and piston from Russia (ebay) but I don"t know what I am gonna get and I want to be prepared for the worst when I am gonna open them and looks like spring tar is a must have when you open an air rifle

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:01 pm 

People still use spring tar? Check out this place for all your lube needs..Its just a hop, skip, and a jump from where you are....Get some tungsten disulphide and mix your own concoction....Ive never seen anything as slippery as T.D......amazing stuff....
https://www.lowerfriction.com/product-p ... tegoryID=1

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:17 am 

MyCrosman wrote:
People still use spring tar? Check out this place for all your lube needs..Its just a hop, skip, and a jump from where you are....Get some tungsten disulphide and mix your own concoction....Ive never seen anything as slippery as T.D......amazing stuff....
https://www.lowerfriction.com/product-p ... tegoryID=1
This TD looks really amazing....
And as it's a powder, what we should use to mix with it? And we can just premix a bottle and use as-is because it can just last very long time or we need to mix the proper amount for just one time usage then keep the original powder to storage?

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 12:57 pm 

Only $54.00 per pound + shipping.
A tub of Lyman's Super Moly should do.
Any sporting goods store that carry's Lyman Products should be able
to get it for you.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:19 pm 

Thank you all for your advises ! I will check all leads you gave me and see what I can get .I already called today the company that sells tungsten disulfide and it is ,apparently,a home based company without a store front but I can order online and it is only around $10 shipping within GTA .They sell some interesting lubricants including moly. First time when I read that there is something better than moly for the piston .I think we all should look into it .Any opinions ?

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:13 pm 

You've already read my praise for TD.....the stuff is incredibly slick......first burnish it into the compression tube, onto the entire spring and piston, guide and tophat..also sleeve the piston to quiet the spring and it will also smooth out the whole firing cycle...Doing these things is a good start to producing a high quality tuneup to any springer...
Here is how to treat the metal parts of your gun with TD...(go to the "buffing section with TD and alcohol"....or you can do the "Coating the mating parts" method...last section of instructions..good luck
https://www.lowerfriction.com/howto.php

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 9:34 pm 

Yes I did ,thank you ! Since none of this lubes (other than tar from USA ) will not make the noise (twang) go away I will have to make a piston sleeve but now I have to ask another question... Since pfte is hard to get ,should I use plastic (water bottle or so ) aluminum (beer can ) or thin steel sheet . I would prefer not to change it every few months

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 5:26 am 

Some people prefer using a plastic bottle...others prefer using tall cans like an energy drink can....both ways work but the key is to do it right.....this video should be of help.......https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q4H3THAzhrA

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 4:53 pm 

I have used tar in the past but because I hunt in cold weather I stopped using it . I found it gave some velocity swings . Now I use a tight fitting spring guide /top hat and if I can get it to fit , a thin plastic sleeve in the piston . This method seems to work best for getting rid of any spring twang . Chevota , one of the members here is a true wealth of knowledge when it come to tuning spring air guns . He sent me a “ tuning bible “ via email and have been using his techniques since .

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 3:20 pm 

Spring tar works great at dampening/silencing the twang, but it costs you power. How much power depends on how how much you use and where it ends up, and more power loss the colder it is. I suggest a fitted liner for the piston, which does the same dampening, more or less, but no power loss. A bit much to explain here but here's a pix, otherwise you can email me at chevota at hotmail and I'll send you the rest of the pix + how-to details.
The example pix are of two diff guns, but give the general idea. That vid MyCrosman posted shows the basics.
If you do buy tar I suggest the black. The clear is silicone, which I do not suggest b/c it's silicone, but tar is also messy and clear is hard to see and next thing you know you're spreading around the house. The black is easy to spot on your hands/tools etc so you can catch it b4 that happens. Just my opinion.
Using other stuff like thick moly paste etc won't work, or at least not nearly as well. It won't stay on the spring so dampening just goes away and you just have a mess.
The piston liner is the way to go, hands down, but kinda a pain to fit it perfectly. An imperfect fit, which is pretty easy, still works but I'm too anal to try it, but others have said it works. Tar is the easiest, but a band-aid fix imo.
Some say an alum can liner works fine, but I can't how it can compare to plastic, or last. Plus I don't see how you could fit it (alum) properly to the piston. So that's my 2 cents ;)

Attachments:
Untitled 2.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg [ 89.31 KiB | Viewed 181 times ]