Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:02 am 

I am new to shooting and am looking for the right pellet for my air rifle.
I have a Crossman Silverfox .177 nitro piston break barrel that came with 4x32 scope.
I am shooting paper targets at 12 meters and can't seem to get constant groups.

I shoot from in my garage standing in a comfortable position using a stable tabletop with sandbag as rest (sandbag allows recoil action to be free from what I've read, instead of holding firm like a center fire rifle). The butt is just resting against my shoulder, not too tight so it can freely move with recoil.

I take 5 group shots, with 4 different pellets, and no consistency results.
So far I've tested:
-Stoeger X-Match Supreme Accuracy Match Field Target Pellets- .177 cal / 8.18gr
-JSB diabolo exact .177 cal / 8.44gr
-Crosman destroyer .177 / 7.4gr
-don’t know name of 4th pellet as label on tin can is missing

I’m thinking maybe the pellet is the issue and that I need to find the right one for my gun.
I’ve read dome type 10+gr might be a good start? Maybe H&N FT 14.6gr ?

Can anyone recommend pellets I should try or give some advise that will help my grouping for accuracy?

Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:11 am 

Maybe try the Crosman Premier Domed or Hollow Point, these pellets have always gave me decent results in Crosman barrels, even if not always the best. H&N FTT Domed are very good pellets too. Your rifle is rated at ''1200 fps'' isn't it? I'd avoid wadcutter-style pellets with this velocity, they get unstable at these speeds.

Other things to check for accuracy with a springer:

All screws are tight (barrel pivot, stock, scope).
Scope is good - with those bundled 4x32 scope, it's a lottery, and even if it was good to start with, a magnum springer can easily kill them in a few shots.
Barrel is clean - it's always a good idea to clean the barrel of a new air rifle before shooting it.
Barrel bore has no tight or loose spots - push a pellet through it with a wooden dowel or brass rod to check that.
Barrel crown is good. A bit hard to check on your rifle with its shroud, but you should be able to have a look at it with a flashlight. It must be clean, with no burrs.
Seals are good - breech and piston seals.
The trigger... - Those B18/19 platform have a rather bad ''adjustable, two-stage'' trigger to start with. A good polishing of the parts always help, and aftermarket trigger blades are availables. There are mods you can do with a bearing or washer, but I don't like the way they change the trigger to a ''hair trigger''.

Maybe also try contacting Chevota here on the forum, he's a true guru of Crosman springers, and/or make a small search for his posts, it's definitely worth it.

My 0.02$.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 2:18 pm 

Did the gun come with open sights? If so, take the scope off and shoot some groups with the open sights. If the groups are better and consistent with open sights, you have a scope problem. That is the very first thing I would check. At 12 yards, that gun should shoot decent groups, even out of the box, unless there is a barrel or crown problem. Try one thing at a time to see what makes a difference. If you do a bunch of things all at once, you will not know which one made the difference.

The JSB pellets would be the ones I would try first.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:39 pm 

The rifle does not come with iron sites, so a scope has to be used.

I did some more shooting this afternoon.

Using JSB 8.44gr, I shot 4 groups of 5 shots in each group at 12 meters and the best grouping I could get was 1.5 inches. Very discouraging. I know I am new to shooting, but I would expect I’m not that bad. With my .22 Savage rim fire rifle I can get groups the size of a dime at 50 yards… would think I can get that with an air rifle at 12 meters ?!?
I’ve ordered “H&N Barracuda Match Airgun Pellets 0.177 Cal, 10.65 Grains, Round Nose” from Amazon and should get them this week. I’m hoping the heavier pellet makes a difference ?

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Thank-you everyone in advance.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 3:55 pm 

Did you try 'deep seating' the pellet when you load it into the breech?

Although I don't think it might make big difference in a high power break barrel rifle or / and with a good pellet like the JSBs... Just another very easy thing you can try without harn...

While using my grizzly pellets, deep seating gives me a muzzle velocity spread for less than 5fps, but if just flush it with my finger tip, the muzzle velocity difference will be as large as about 30fps....

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 4:03 pm 

Thanks for suggestion of 'deep seating'... but yes I tried that on one of the 5 shot groups... didn't seem to make much difference.
Forgot to mention on earlier post... I also tightened all screws of both rifle and scope

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 6:35 pm 

Have you tried another scope? One rated for springers?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 05, 2019 8:38 pm 

That is a magnum springer so definitely might be worth checking with another scope as mentioned. Springers are hard on scopes.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:20 am 

Shouldn't the scope that came with the gun be an appropriate scope for the gun?

I've done some research on the internet... could the issue perhaps be that the rifle is new and still needs to be broken in?
So far I would say I've shot about 250 pellets... although I would think that's enough and at 12 meters I should have something decent in grouping.
To not be able to have 1 inch groups at 12 meters seems pretty bad for an air rifle... can't imagine if I was shooting at 25 or 50 yards... I don't think I would even be on paper.
VERY DISCOURAGING :(

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:21 am 

I read a bunch of reviews on these , more than a few had the same problem with terrible groups.
Have you thoroughly cleaned the barrel? Not just run a patch through , I mean run a brush through etc ?
Some of what a read was some people had bad packing grease residue in theier barrels, just filthy.
Also with such a high rated springer , try some real heavy pellets (slugs?) to get the fps down. Back in my reloading days fps/bullet weight ratio can massive effect on accuracy.
Good luck

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:30 am 

have you checked the barrel crown
run a Q tip through it make sure there is no snags
also if you have a cleaning rod push a pellets through the barrel
then examine it and make sure nothing is deforming the pellet

PostPosted: Sun Oct 06, 2019 3:33 pm 

so I put a Q-tip in the last section of barrel (the crown) and seems good to me.
I don't have a rod. Can anyone recommend what I should buy? Maybe on amazon... what rod cleaning kit and what solvents or solutions?
I've never cleaned a gun... if anyone can suggest a link that shows how that would help me too.
Thanks again in advance

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:44 am 

I ordered the "Patchworm Kit" and 500 patches to go with.

There is a instructional video at the bottom of the page that shows how easy/safe the kit is to use.
Very inexpensive at $10.00 +$3.00 shipping.
It isn't here yet, but I expect it to be the most convenient method for barrel cleaning I have ever used...

Diana Chaser Carbine .22
Artemis M11 .25
Artemis PP800 Chaser Fusion .25

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:44 pm 

Crossman sells a 10.5gr. RN called Ultra Heavy(I think) JSB makes a 13.43gr. bullet-type that shoots well in my HW.

JSB and H&N makes several heavier than normal pellets. The high vel. springers will respond to heavier than normal pellets - sometimes.
JSB 10.65gr.
https://dlairgun.com/collections/h-n-pe ... xtra-heavy
11.57gr. H&H
https://dlairgun.com/collections/h-n-pe ... t-heaviest
15.74gr. Rabbit Magnum
https://dlairgun.com/collections/h-n-pe ... -magnum-ii