Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:43 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

An IZH 46M I got from Straightshooters in May 2004

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:21 pm 

What’s prompted you guys to hang onto some of these guns for so long? Sentimentality? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Guess I sometimes get caught up with the marketing hype of the new and shiny whatever and end up selling well before I’ve gotten my use out of a gun.

In the spirit of that thought process I’ve removed my recent listing for my new hw77 and will hang onto it. Time to start making some memories with a few of my guns!

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 pm 

fishguy wrote:
What’s prompted you guys to hang onto some of these guns for so long? Sentimentality? If it ain’t broke don’t fix it?

Guess I sometimes get caught up with the marketing hype of the new and shiny whatever and end up selling well before I’ve gotten my use out of a gun.

In the spirit of that thought process I’ve removed my recent listing for my new hw77 and will hang onto it. Time to start making some memories with a few of my guns!

smart choice... :tonqe: 8)
I was tempted to jump on that when i seen it but iv'e got one already...the older version
its one of my best shooters, so accurate almost takes the fun out of shooting... :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:55 pm 

I love it and I hate it~ I really love this HW77 so glad to see you take it back so maybe in the future I would still have a chance to get it from you as I didn't have my PAL yet (the course instructor just too busy and my booking is postponed to early December... )

BUT.... you said you are going to try to build up a 'difficult to leave' type relationship with the beauty... I am sure you can do that so it looks I might not have that chance to own this HW77 in the future anymore.... So sad...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:24 pm 

I think there's still a rifleized 22-89 around here somewhere that would be the oldest to me-modded and all. Bought in the late 90's.

Oldest favorite in almost un touched form would be one of my phase 1 variant 22 Medalists. One of my more accurate pistols....

-D.S.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:01 am 

Still got my gamo expomatic- s 1983 (I think) still running top notch, barrel cleaning and a drop or two of oil is all i ever did for maintenance.
Best of all got her for free,paid for her by visa $230 card was never charged and place i got it was out of business the next summer i went back.
still the one i love the most. :drinkers:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:34 am 

This is a wonderful topic. Thanks fishguy (R) for the idea.
You're quite right with now asking as to 'what' has made us keep'em...for so long. Interesting.

With me, so far..the longest owned pistol I still have is the venerable Beeman P17 bought new at CTC in 2010 for 69.99$
Next was an airgun rifle that would be my first 're-entry' into PAL airguns was a .177 NORICA Underlever in 2012. And for Pete...here's the pic. This is a keeper for me...sentiment and it being sort of exclusive has me attached to it.
One I also regret having sold (fishguy's comment) was a Crosman 357 with the brown plastic grips. I fully restored and refurbished..but sold for space for another pistol.

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:02 am 

yay. nice pic of a nice rifle hawk-1. I think hanging onto the guns we have had for years can go along with the adage of "they sure don,t make them like they used to." (and sentimental value). the guns nowadays are exceptionally good looking replicas. and most are great shooters. but some of the older ones are pretty well made and pretty ingeniously made for the time periods.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:41 am 

Thank you Pete. The rifle is 100% made in Spain BTW and from a company that's been around for more than a 100 years !!

Yup! And the fact that our airguns are still working is a sure sign that the manufacturers wanted them to 'endure' the normal rigors of frequent use or at best...parts were made available to be able to 'repair'. Those days are quickly being exchanged as now things are being 'replaced' with an item now ..better/improved/re-designed….what ever marketing can come up with to 'sell' the replacement.

I can see it being confused but ...my alias is: hawk-i as in hawkeye. That name was taken when registering. So chose a similar phonetically sounding name.

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:54 pm 

I have a really hard time getting rid of my guns.
I've had some of them since my teenage years.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:37 pm 

That would be my 2240 with custom wood grips...

Has had a 7.5 inch barrel; a 14 inch barrel and now a 10 inch barrel!

8)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:33 pm 

...I bought a Shakespeare Acro 1 (.22) when they first came out (mid '70s ?) ....I'm still enjoying shooting it, altho' years ago I had to modify a Crosman 38t CO2 seal to repair a leak, but no problems since ...........I've had one of my 1st varient 38t's almost as long ....

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:27 am 

fishguy wrote:

Oldest airgun I still own?
- Webley Hurricane, from 1991... Which reminds me, I ought to install new seals in it. Haven't shot it in ages :shock:

Some guys like to collect, some guys like to change airguns every few months, some guys want to try every new flavor... I'm more of buying something that serve a specific purpose... and keeping it until it dies.
- The Hurricane was the "plinking" airgun

It's been sitting in the back of the closet for a few years (decades) since my interest in airgun has shifted from plinking to 10M

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 1:43 pm 

Why I keep them?

Slavia 630, bought when I was 12-13, I paid half(about$25), Dad paid the other. Probably has 50-60k pellets through it, maybe closer to 100k. Still shoots 420fps, open iron sights, no plastic.

ZERO maintenance other than shooting.
Only gun I've never taken apart. Drilled some holes for a sling to carry around while riding bike to buddys house 30 yrs ago.

Neighbour will shoot his 900fps gun, then get pissed that my 420fps is more accurate shooting beer caps.

I maybe have a problem getting rid of stuff, but like a previous post, it serves it pupose. My guns are used and abused, no collecters here.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:18 pm 

I keep HW30s because it's a keeper :D :D :D

Bought new from D&L in 2013 and customized for target shooting: