Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:49 pm 

[emoji38] it looks my question should be changed to 'which caliber I should get FIRST?'

Maybe end up I will like most of you guys to have both calibers...

Then I think the last blued .22 blue lamanited HW97KL in D&L is my target then... It's only about availability then... And hopefully no one want it until I have everything prepared...

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:19 pm 

About those trajectories. Given the same, roughly even fpe numbers between the .177 and .22, the .177 will be much faster than the heavier .22 pellets, as shown in most 'strings' of guns
having both calibres.

Even though the .22 pellets have a higher ballistic coefficient, at the same fpe, they are enough slower, to have poorer trajectories than the .177 posses, out to normal useful ranges.

Now, if the muzzle velocities were closer together, the .22 would outshine the .177 in trajectory, however, would be producing higher fpe as well.

For instance, from Chair Gun.
My HW98 is .22, develops roughly the same fpe as the HW97 in .177.
This .22, with Crossman HP Premiers, produces 680fps @ 14.6fpe.
At 60yards, they are still making 456.6fps & 6.5fpe
The have a 1" kill zone (1/2" below, above and below again), from 9 yards to 36 1/2 yards & 1" low at 39.2 yards.
The zeros (near and far) are 13.3yards and 32.5 yards.

The .177 HW97, produced 1" kill zone from 11 to 43.5yards & at 583fps(60yards) was producing 6.0fpe, compared to the .22's 6.5fpe.

Last edited by Daryl on Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:23 pm 

I swore off of .177 a while back. I stayed away from it for a while, but have since returned to it. I find while the pellets are fiddly, at closer indoor ranges I like being able to challenge myself with the smaller holes in the paper they make. I feel I can differentiate between holes easier as compared to .22. The cost savings is just a bonus.
Unless you step up to .25 or .30 I don’t think you can go too wrong with either (or both as you’re now thinking!)

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!