Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:47 am 

Hi

This is my first post, love the forum though.

I have put a tune kit in my hw50s(old design with threaded endcap) and I have damaged flattened the first thread on the endcap, due to struggling to line things up.

I have the airventuri spring compressor and have installed kits my hw80 before this.

Does anyone have any advice how to fix the thread?
And any suggestions on getting this air rifle back together?

I love weihrauchs but hate is his old threaded endcap design.

I can post pictures if that may help you understand the problem

Any suggestions are very much appreciated!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:52 am 

post a pic lets see how bad it is

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:03 am 

Ace wrote:
post a pic lets see how bad it is

I will post pictures as soon as I can after work.

Also, I apologise for posting in the wrong forum.
I realize this should be in "Repairs"

I will see if I can move the thread.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:04 am 

you will not be able to move it
PM a Mod to move it for you

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:00 pm 

I have attached photos of the endcap and the receiver.

The threads on the receiver look fine, it's the just first thread on the endcap that looks squished down.

Attachments:
endcap 3.jpg
endcap 3.jpg [ 292.65 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
endcap 2.jpg
endcap 2.jpg [ 240.6 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]
endcap 1.jpg
endcap 1.jpg [ 263.34 KiB | Viewed 258 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 7:48 pm 

i don't know...they both look OK in the pic's... :?
so are you saying your having trouble threading them together ?
did you try threading it on without the spring just to check if the threads aren't crossed
they don't look like they are...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 8:52 pm 

Yeah I've tried screwing it together without the spring and it gets about a quarter turn and then it gets really tight and jumps out of the threads.

I think it's just damaged enough that I can't just force it to realign the threads. I'm thinking it needs attention from somebody who knows how to work with metal.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:15 pm 

where about's are you located ?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:25 am 

Sounds like you need a thread chaser to re shape the threads.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am 

If you know where the damage is and it's slight as you say, I would just fix it with a needle file.

https://www.gessweincanada.com/product-p/705-1000.htm

Handy thing to have.

Al

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:24 am 

Oh yeah, I had thought about trying a needle file but the threads look pretty flat especially near the end of the endcap. I am not sure needle file would do it..... But that's my layman's opinion. :)

I found this on Amazon, but I don't know how good this type of tool would be:
https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B00D8WJ1FC/ref ... QDbXK0G563

It's pricey but it's cheaper than a ruined airgun.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:37 am 

I'm gonna pick up some needle files this weekend and give that a try first.

Thanks very much guys!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:03 pm 

You don't have a tap and die in that size on hand?
I get those cheap little needle file kits like Gippeto posted, which include one with a marquis cross section. That's my universal small thread repair file. It should also have a triangle file which is actually better in most cases but can't do as small as the marquis. In your case I think the triangle will be fine but you just have to see since the files are typically made in china so they vary quite a bit.
I also like a Dremel with a thin cutoff wheel. I have some discs that are like .020" wide so pretty good for little stuff like that. And of course a file can't do the female threads so the Dremel is really handy. In your case I'd be doing it to repair and for aesthetics since I'd want it to look like nothing happened in the first place. If not for looks then I may simply grind off the offending threads altogether. If the first thread is the problem then I suppose you could do just that.
I'll Dremel or power sand a bevel pretty much like how they did yours at the factory, and once done you could cold blue if it you want.
I'm kinda anal about threads so I'll often prep all threads on whatever it is before assembly. Who am I kidding, I'm anal about most things mechanical ;) After the file work, if needed, I'll use a wire wheel on all the threads to take out the roughness from the overall crappy machine work. I don't mean your gun! I mean most threads in general are crappy. So in your case I'd just wire wheel where it's screwed up.

Rough gritty threads are like nails on a chalk board to me so I do this often. A good example is the misc little alum flashlights most every guy has, or lasers on ebay etc are pretty much all machined in china, and since they're alum they only get worse w/ use. So first thing outta the box I wire wheel the threads w/ brass, dry lube it and it's like silk. I really like dry lube (tungsten disulfide, or moly) on the threads, and maybe a mix of grease and dry lube over that. If there's a high risk of seizing, like stainless on stainless or a high temp application, I'll sand blast the threads and bake on the dry lube. I do this where most people would use anti-seize b/c my way is way better. Imo ;) Actually I do have a lot of experience in that dept and so far nothing beats it.

Most of the above is no doubt tmi but I had coffee today so that's the price ya'll gotta pay ;)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:00 pm 

Success!

Thank you Gippeto! I picked up a needle file set at Princess Auto after work today. It took about 20 minutes of careful filing, cleaning the threads out and trying to see if it would work
The end cap now screws on, at least without the mainspring.

I can't thank you enough for suggesting the needle file. And thank you, all you guys for the suggestions.

I am also going to build a more robust mainspring compressor, like the one I had when I put a kit in my HW80. It was a big monster with a big vice as the pusher, but it held everything straight.

Unfortunately, the compressor I currently used to take the HW50 apart doesn't seem robust enough to hold the air rifle straight and true for reassembly. I think the rear spring guide moving out of alignment and was getting hung up on the piston rod as I was trying to fit things back together.

I think I am going to watch some football and grab a beer.

Thanks again!