Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 10:52 am 

I pretty sure I want a laminate stock, so I will pick a KL. L here means Laminated, right? Better a stainless steel action model...

And the KT looks most popular, and the T means 'Thumb hole' stock, right?

And the Black-line is synthetic polymer stock...

And any other version in the market ?

I think the K means Compact?! As the barrel on a HW97 is just 300mm (200mm shorter than a HW80!!). Do we once have the non-K model with a long barrel?

And why we can use such a short barrel but can still provide the power and accuracy as the long barrel does?

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:36 am 

I loved my HW97K Black-Line TH .177cal. Ace has it now. It's slimmer feels better balances better than the wood version. That's according to the the fellows from England. And me of course. The pistol grip on it is Perfect. Feels good. Much more fun to shoot than those Lam. and Beech Walnut tanks. anyone who picks one up , falls in love. Oh, and they look the coolest
Captain Air

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 5:53 am 

I heard the same thing from others too. I didn't shoot a TH pistol grip rifle before, but I looks still like the classic rifle style stock for a rifle better.... And it looks if budget allowed, we surely have to keep one more HW97 model in the house.....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 12:48 pm 

Mine was:
Now is:

I prefer the wooden stock.
If the Blackline had the adjustable butt plate, I'd likely have never changed it over.

Attachments:
HW97KBlackline_zps21c0d875.jpg
HW97KBlackline_zps21c0d875.jpg [ 54.01 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]
IMG_2737.JPG
IMG_2737.JPG [ 634.44 KiB | Viewed 329 times ]

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:02 pm 

I have the classic wood stock, if i were to get another 97 it would be the KL in blue laminate.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 3:09 pm 

Mine is a 97K with the traditional stock. It's really (really) nice and I would get it again if this one got stolen or I had a lapse in judgement and sold it to buy groceries or something weird like that. However, If I was to add another to the collection, it would be a KT with the thumb hole stock - because I really like thumb hole stocks. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 4:07 pm 

Daryl wrote:
Mine was:
Now is:

I prefer the wooden stock.
If the Blackline had the adjustable butt plate, I'd likely have never changed it over.

Daryl you could have put an adjustable butt plate on the blackline if you wanted to
i think you just wanted some wood... :lol:

Here is mine i like it as is.... 8)
but it does look good in wood though... 8)
quick note YepYep....even though the 97 is a great springer and comes pretty nice and is very accurate out of the box
don't expect it to be like a tuned one obviously...what I mean is it does have a very slight spring twang and a good thump
but regardless still shoots very accurate... 8) :wink:
one day I plan on tuning mine just to impove the slight twang some might not even notice it but i do... :|
its shooting a 7gr pellet @ 930fps...

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 12:32 pm 

Mine is getting 895fps with 7.93gr., 885fps with 8.0gr. Predators and 872fps with 8.2gr. JSB Cometa 4.51mm, the most accurate pellet in this rifle.
The Predator pellets are a close second in accuracy.
Ace- YES- I prefer the wooden stock, hands-down. I do kinda like the blue laminate as well.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:20 am 

Yep, I had the 97KL, and sold it. It’s a nice gun to be sure. But, you will not enjoy shooting it for more than a few shots if not from a bench or supported. It’s fairly heavy.
As others have said, even though some consider it the best springer available, I feel to hold that title it needs tuning and a different trigger. I’d say the TX200 in comparison out of the box is a better gun, as is the Pro Sport. The price difference is there, but I personally feel the Hw97 needs at minimum a drop in spring kit and Rowan set back trigger. Those additions will bring the gun up to probably $900 or so.

There is nothing wrong with a stock ‘97 it’s just not as smooth shooting as the others I mentioned without a little work. Accuracy wise, reliability wise, I think it’s a wash with other higher end guns.

If you’re set on the ‘97, I like their laminate stocks very much.

Walther Lever, FWB 300S, FX Dreamline FT
Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:35 am 

Sorry to YepYep if this twists his brain more than necessary. YepYep is set on the HW97 because he saw a HW77 for sale and fell in love. But alas, the HW77 was a fairy tale princess betrothed to another, and it was unrequited love. He was also born to ignoble stock and had no PAL to woo such a fair lady. So he decided to earn his PAL and marry the princess's younger sister the HW97. But, once proven his worth and holding the PAL he can woo any lady in the land.. So YepYep, why not give serious consideration to TX200? out of the box it's better behaved than 97K, and you already have 2 HW rifles in your collection.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 11:44 am 

Dukemeister wrote:
Sorry to YepYep if this twists his brain more than necessary. YepYep is set on the HW97 because he saw a HW77 for sale and fell in love. But alas, the HW77 was a fairy tale princess betrothed to another, and it was unrequited love. He was also born to ignoble stock and had no PAL to woo such a fair lady. So he decided to earn his PAL and marry the princess's younger sister the HW97. But, once proven his worth and holding the PAL he can woo any lady in the land.. So YepYep, why not give serious consideration to TX200? out of the box it's better behaved than 97K, and you already have 2 HW rifles in your collection.

Ahhh.. I see.

Well then, if Yepyep is getting his Pal and a spring gun is what is on the menu, then if it were me, I’d pick a Feinwerkbau 300s every time over the others. Yes, a little harder to find, but it is the smoothest shooting spring gun I’ve ever used. Built to outlast the cockroaches in a nuclear war. I have a 77 and Pro Sport and I like them very much, but will pick the 300s every time over the others. Treat yourself to a classic!

Other goodies!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:09 pm 

I have a HW97K with all the goodies for FT like a light trigger and a epic scope.
I like it a lot it's my go to springner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:11 pm 

So...... It looks better to marry the queen.... 8-)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

Last edited by YepYep on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:38 pm 

And I put my eyes on the Pro Sport too... Is that only cosmetic difference between the Pro Sport and TX200??

What I can see is the under lever is hiden in the fore arm and you won't see two 'barrels' like TX200 and the 97/77...

If I don't want to put my hands down to tune the gun, maybe the Pro Sport is best choice then, the TX200 and then the 97?

And I must agree I like the checkering style on TX200 more than the 97~ However I looks like the Blue Laminated stock best... (Maybe I like the forest color theme laminate more than the blue one...however, not this choice for the 97...)

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 3:26 pm 

YepYep wrote:
And I put my eyes on the Pro Sport too... Is that only cosmetic difference between the Pro Sport and TX200??

What I can see is the under lever is hiden in the fore arm and you won't see two 'barrels' like TX200 and the 97/77...

If I don't want to put my hands down to tune the gun, maybe the Pro Sport is best choice then, the TX200 and then the 97?

And I must agree I like the checkering style on TX200 more than the 97~ However I looks like the Blue Laminated stock best... (Maybe I like the forest color theme laminate more than the blue one...however, not this choice for the 97...)

The difference between the tx200 and pro sport is more than cosmetic. The tx is easier to cock with the improved leverage. It is however very front heavy. Some like that, some don’t. I don’t. The pro sport is more balanced to the middle or slightly to the rear which makes it feel nicer to handle for me. I’m putting a 12 ft lb spring into my pro sport shortly and I’m hoping that will ease the cocking effort somewhat. It’s certainly do able but after 50 shots or so you feel it.
Even though they both weigh less than a 300s I’d still take the 300s.

Between the tx, the ‘97, and the pro sport I’d go for the pro sport first, then the ‘97 then the tx. But both the Air Arms guns will shoot smoother out of the box.

Other goodies!