Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:10 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 5:47 am 

Thanks again for the comments and support.

Geoff - we're more south towards Milford, although we're only 10 minutes to Cherry Valley. 10 minutes to Milford. 7 minutes to Picton. 10 minutes to Bloomfield. In the County, you're never too far from anywhere as it's not that big of an area. :-)

Daryl - thanks for the picks of your table. It looks great and quite portable. I've been looking at a few pictures on the web to get ideas. I'm just trying to figure out what the optimal height would be. I see that in your pics you have the obligatory plastic patio chair of which I have the exact same model. :-) I also see that in another pick you have an adjustable shop stool. I guess that's the best way to go at there will be limited selection from a table leg height, so having an adjustable seat height will allow me to set things where I feel most comfortable.

CBS shooter - I have watched the Edgunleshy videos a number of times. Quite entertaining at how efficient he is at dispatching the squirrels. I think that setting up a "bird" feeding station with a solid wooden backstop will be the best approach here in the subdivision as I'm here all the time and can keep the feeder full to establish a pattern for the squirrels. At the country property, we're only there on the weekends during the summer so I'm not sure how well a feeding station would work at this point in time. I think that will be the way to go when we're there full time. I plan to have a number of bird feeders which will draw in the chipmunks, and squirrels too. That should make things fairly straight forward to dispatch the critters. As to your comment about field target shooting, I think that as I progress with my shooting, that would be a direction I'm interested in. I can't see me having the time for a few years yet, but I think it would be fun to hone my shooting skills to the point of feeling comfortable competing. We'll see how it goes.

Adrian - thanks for your kind comments and some day I might want to chat to you about your heavily modified TX. :-)

Safe and happy shooting everyone.

Cheers.
Gary

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:29 am 

If you feel up to it, you can try making this shooting table.

https://www.realitysurvival.com/free-sh ... ign-plans/

Tony

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:47 am 

Hi Gary.

I live about 13minutes east of the ferry at Glenora, at Sandhurst. I am the match director at the Grenville Field Target (FT) Club, which is a 1.5 hour drive for me. We have a regular that drives out of Toronto to our matches. We have finished our 2019 outdoor season and will be starting up again in April.

I own three iterations of the TX and although they all have their own character, they are all great guns. My pcp guns have been sitting in my gun safe or have been sold. I am a bit of a minimalist when it comes to modifying the insides of the gun, but the stock is another story. I like the FT specific stocks and have bought them or modified standard stocks to create them. Inside, I make sure the guide fits snug in the spring, the top-hat fits well and lube sparingly with Krytox. I do not like using the tar that "smoothes things out" because I think it just covers up a kit that is not fitted well. I do keep all my TX guns close to or just below 12 ft/lb, even the one I use for hunter FT that I could shoot at up to 20 ft/lb if I wanted to. They shoot better in all respects at that power, the power they were created to shoot at.

If you want some company some day shooting at your property in the County, drop me a pm and maybe a fun day could be set up. I could bring a couple of TXs and a big variety of pellets to try out.

Have fun

Tim

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:37 pm 

Gary- my buddy Len made one similar to mine. Quite fast to build, and very portable.
Most chairs are the correct height.
Of course, other benches work as well.

Attachments:
Shooting Gophers to 350 yds. May 2005.JPG
Shooting Gophers to 350 yds. May 2005.JPG [ 115.98 KiB | Viewed 92 times ]
Gophers2009009.jpg
Gophers2009009.jpg [ 162 KiB | Viewed 92 times ]

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:08 pm 

Hi Gang. Thanks once again for taking the time to give me feedback and info.

Tony - Thanks for the link to the plans. I had a look and you've made quite the ingenious collapsible shooting bench. I'm going to have look at the plans a little closer. I did a fair bit fo woodworking when I was younger and I still have all my tools, so a project like this should be doable for a hack like me. :-)

Daryl - thanks for the additional pics. I'm really focusing in pictures that show what height the shooter is sitting at with respect to the gun height, which yields the angle of the body when you are sighting in at the gun. It seemed like with my improvised setup, I had the chair way too high and I was leaning over a too much of an angle. My head didn't feel natural when in the shooting position. All part of the learning process. The chair I was using is a junker that the cylinder was leaking down constantly, so I just rigged up a spacer to keep the chair at the highest setting. While I'm messing about, I can cut the spacer down a bit to reduce the height on the chair. ** I love the 4 wheeled shooting tables. :-) Definitely on the wish list once I'm in the County full time. Quads are fun, practical, and they are legal to drive on the country roads in Prince Edward County, so that will make them handy for running into town for stuff instead of having to always take a car or truck.

Tim - Thanks for the offer to swing by the our property and show me your modded TX200s! Sign me up! As I mentioned above, I'll probably just be down for a fairly short visit to batten down all the hatches before the snow flies this year, and we don't go down much until spring. We can stay in touch and set up a day next spring/summer/fall when I'm down there. You are quite close to our place in the County. All we have to do is manage the ferry crossing. :-) We have friends in Bath that we visit a couple times each summer, so I drive right by your place. I've checked out the CAFTA website site and the Grenville club as I noticed that Grenville is that eastern hot spot for FT. I see that you captured top honours in the Elmer Fudd 'fun' shoot after a three way shootout. Congratulations!! Good shootin' Tex. :-)

I hope everyone is getting the last of the good weather outdoor shooing in for this season.

Cheers.