Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:43 pm 

Hello Guys~

I ordered a spring from ARH (Air Rifle Headquarter, aka Maccari) which delivered early this week. And today, I tried to using it to replace the original spring from my HW45 to see if the new spring can do better. My HW45 is shooting 11.9gr RWS Hobby at about 400fps now.

The new spring looks slightly bigger (14/128 inch vs 13/128inch), 30 treads (the stock one is 31 treads), fits much tighter in the spring guide. As I had a hard time to putting it in, so I asked James Maccari and confirmed it's the right spring, and a tighter fit on the springe guide is good as after setted, the ID of the whole spring will loose up a little bit, and a loose fit on the spring guide is the reason of the noise and twangs...

Attachment:
20191024_125731_resize_89.jpg
20191024_125731_resize_89.jpg [ 173.34 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]

As the HW45 replacement spring is not coming with the pre-setting service, I am asking James how can I pre-set the spring in home before I attend to install it again... Anyone has any suggestion please let me know~

I think ppl already know I failed installing the spring this time~ :cry:

That's fine, I got so many experience which I will share below and I cleaned the gun well and re-lubed it today. However it doesn't make any changes on performance... the test shot after I put it back on was 399fps...

= = =
The old school style clamp is not working well (or I really need a vise to support the job) but should be much better than the new models which I don't think I can use the new model (the Quick Clamps) to close the end cap when I putting the old spring back in after service...
Attachment:
20191024_100622_resize_62.jpg
20191024_100622_resize_62.jpg [ 587.11 KiB | Viewed 630 times ]

Learned 2 unforgetable experience...

First, accident, When I removed the pin on the end cap and released the clamp little by little, then unexpectedly the spring stopped pushing out the cap at about just 2mm then the whole tube fell off from the clamp... I was thinking, "what?? I got a broken spring??"...

And then after "playing" with the tube with spring inside, end cap pin removed and end cap been pushed out for about 2mm for a while, and tried something else but still failed to removed the end cap. I used a 2x4 to hit the other end of the tube a little bit with the end cap end covered totally in some layers of old clothes, then suddenly the spring pushed everything out... Thanks God I knew that's unusual and be prepared, otherwise I need to check if it broke anything I never think about it would...

Second, it's REALLY REALLY hard to install the sping in a HW45 and closing the end cap...

I tried so many times and have to admit, it looks impossible for me to install that new spring. So I decided to put back the setted old spring and call it a day... and it's REALLY hard to put back the old spring too!! When you compress the spring, maybe there is so much pre-load in a HW45, the spring just bending like a snake and you are just like catching a cat-fish with your bare hands... And I think I should not start this job without a vise to give some help to hold the things up for me...

Finally I succeed in putting back the old spring thanks for my clamp which I can compress it bit by bit by turning the handle of the arm and with my other hand to align up the tube, spring and the end cap... And without that turning handle compress arm, it's just mission impossible...

If you have any advice, comments please don't hesitate to share~ I hope I can do it right in the next time to put the new spring in...

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 12:49 pm 

And here is a question....

I don't know what's these marks come from but I found two scratch marks on the compress tube liner, the inner tube, one on each side, close to the main seal. But found nothing strange on the inner of the outer tube, and nothing like metal shavings etc... I can only doubt those marks are come from the factory?? Any idea?? Please see pictures...

I used 1000grit sand paper to slightly polished those marks and putting it back in...

Attachment:
20191024_131454_resize_32.jpg
20191024_131454_resize_32.jpg [ 387.54 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

Attachment:
20191024_131511_resize_27.jpg
20191024_131511_resize_27.jpg [ 443.28 KiB | Viewed 627 times ]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:36 pm 

definitely not from the factory...you bought it new ?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 2:44 pm 

I bought it new from D&L about 1 and a half years ago... You serviced this gun to help me taping the barrel screw hole before, did you see any sight of this gun had been opened up before?

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:06 pm 

lol....yes i remember your gun now that you mention it
no i didn't notice any sign but then again i didn't look for it because
I just did the repair you asked for... :|
but that definitely doesn't look right, if that came out of the factory like that
then Weihrauch has some explaining to do... :x :axe:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:18 pm 

yeah....

and do you know what material this inner tube is? it looks pretty tough and hard... and the marks looks so strange as there should not have anything touch it when it's in the outer tube... and something like clamping it and try to remove the main seal?!

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 6:23 am 

I recently traded my 45 as I just didn’t shoot it . I did however install a Maccari spring and as you noticed it’s a little tricky to get in there . If you don’t already have one , a brake cylinder hone from Princess auto works wonders for removing any light scratches from cylinder walls , just go real slow on the rpm and use lots of oil . Your 400 fps seems a little on the slow side . I think the OEM springs are a little better than the Maccari . They could be bought from SSSO when they were open but now , possibly available from DLAirgun . Don’t forget to dry fire the gun a few times to seat the piston seal .

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 8:21 am 

Thanks ~ I had used the 1000grit sand paper to slightly polish the spot a little bit, just in case it won't touch the tube's inner wall to make new scratches... But before I noticed these scratches, it had been in and out so many times and didn't make any new scratches, I think that's okay tho... If removing it, just for better looking but would thinner and weaker the wall, I rather keep it as-is... Maybe in the future, I need a new seal, I would replace the cylinder tube together...

I am looking a way to preset the Maccari spring first and then install it. I don't need higher power and as you see too, my stock spring is in the low side now, and the Maccari spring is said with similar power as the OEM ones, maybe just a bit weaker, I can still make 430 or 420 after installing it, and that will be improved a lot and I would be happy with that~

Hopefully I can make 450fps as the good HW45 can shoot 460.... [emoji38]

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:09 pm 

I'd say those marks on the piston are from the factory. I've seen other strange marks where the sun don't shine on misc airguns and just about everything really. My guess is it all falls back to the #1 most important thing; quarterly statements! So if some part is funky or damaged but only cosmetic, and normally nobody will see it, then it's good to go. I work for a company that does the same thing and I'm sure just about all "for profit" companies do.

Wish I could help on the spring but I've never taken one apart. If take it apart again I'd love some pix so I can see wth and try to think of way to do it.

My only other comment here is I would not use a brake hone on anything I can't pass it all the way thru. I can't recall if the 45 has a dead end or if the tube has a pinch in it or not, so this is just an fyi. Like for a Tempest or typical rifle that's a dead end tube you would end up with end not honed b/c it won't reach. I worry there may be a little speedbump there where it transitions from honed to not, which I doubt would be very much at all but this is where the seal is at max outward force so it's the worst place to have an imperfection. I figure if you're gunna do it you might as well do it right, and doing it right is cheaper than buying a hone anyway. Plus hones don't get along w/ cocking slots etc, and you don't have a selection of grit or much tension control. Another thing is I often I have a tight spot in the tube so I want aggressive metal removal, and a hone would literally all day.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 2:53 pm 

Thanks for the input ~

I think there is a dead end for the hw45, and attached pls find a picture I found from the internet for the piston, outer tube,.spring, spring guide and end cap...

And what's the 'brake hone' you meant? Sorry As English is my second language... Image

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:02 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

easiest way to pre set...

Off to your favorite hardware store you must go...

Get some threaded rod(preferably one close to internal diameter to spring) ,washers and nuts

Put the spring over the rods and fully compress the spring with washers and nuts. Wait a few days, then release and install

Cheesy Diagram, but I think you get the idea

As far as upgraded performance, Macarri isnt about power... His products are about a smooth shooting gun.

Attachments:
20191024_12573.jpg
20191024_12573.jpg [ 98.82 KiB | Viewed 475 times ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:34 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

From the way back machine.....

Todd Cooper's "Everything you wanted to Know about a HW45 but were afraid to ask"

https://web.archive.org/web/20061011232 ... W45Review/

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:33 pm 

Doctor~ you should come and check the forum more often~ you just gave a very easy and good idea to preset the spring~

I followed Jim Macarri's idea to make a 'compressor' using some wood block and finally proved it's not a good idea~ and according to the experience I removed and installed back the original spring, I gave up and planned to give this job to the prefessionals to handle...

I will visit Mr. Ace Monday morning to have the new spring installed ~

Yeah, I know what the Macarri spring is about. And I don't need much high power but just my stock spring is shooting low, so having a Maccari spring in, I think I can have some power restored and it might be smoother...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:12 pm 

Job done by our great tuner, Ace, today!

Made a visit and sent my HW45 to Ace in the late morning, and the gun returned to me in a very short waiting period just after I finishing my shopping in the nearby Wal-Mart...

Although with the new spring from Macarri didn't increase the velocity too much, Ace just did a very good job to fine tune my HW45 and fitted in the new spring so well that the gun just feels much more smoother in cocking and shooting than before!

He cleaned everything deeply well, polished the ends of the new spring and the rough surface of the end cap, adding a sleeve around the spring, properly luded everything, putting back in everything and my HW45 looks has a new life now... Further more after the job done, this gentleman just sent me a bunch of photos he took in every step to let me know what's happened...

Letting the professionals to take care of the job is a good idea...

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:20 pm 

YepYep wrote:
Job done by our great tuner, Ace, today!

Made a visit and sent my HW45 to Ace in the late morning, and the gun returned to me in a very short waiting period just after I finishing my shopping in the nearby Wal-Mart...

Although with the new spring from Macarri didn't increase the velocity too much, Ace just did a very good job to fine tune my HW45 and fitted in the new spring so well that the gun just feels much more smoother in cocking and shooting than before!

He cleaned everything deeply well, polished the ends of the new spring and the rough surface of the end cap, adding a sleeve around the spring, properly luded everything, putting back in everything and my HW45 looks has a new life now... Further more after the job done, this gentleman just sent me a bunch of photos he took in every step to let me know what's happened...

Letting the professionals to take care of the job is a good idea...

Looked like you found a great gun tuner. Congrats!

通过我的 ALP-AL00 上的 Tapatalk发言