Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Glock 17 Gen4 Review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 7:11 am 

I picked up the Glock 17 Gen4 yesterday and my thoughts:

Packaging that it came in as we all know is the plastic clamshell, which for the money I paid, I would have liked the plastic case that the UK gets. Oh well.

The gun is a beauty!! It feels right and the weight is similar to the Gen3, which I also have. The slide definitely is much more realistic than the Gen3 and feels hefty like a real firearm. It doesn't make the sound of a lightweight metal tingy noise that is common among other guns, and such as the Gen3 by example. The white dotted sites are bolder and easier to see I find than the previous Glocks. I haven't field strip it yet, but there is that option to do so if one wishes.

The magazine: it really has some weight to it and looks really good. It holds the CO2 and the 18 BBs. What I find cumbersome of this magazine is the fact that you need to unscrew the entire bolt that keeps the CO2 cartridge in place, and once doing so, you drop the cartridge in, and then need to be careful to thread the bolt back in. I found this process to be slow, and threading the bolt back on is tricky as it's at an angle and not flushed to the slider. By the way, some reviews mentioned that there is no slider to hide the CO2 install bolt, but the North American version does and it has the Glock inscription on it, which is nice to see that this was the case. I'd be :twisted: if it was otherwise.

The safety switch is a beaming bright steel and not black like in the previous Glocks....to engage it, you need to cock the slider back (it doesn't say in the manual).

Shooting accuracy: It's one of the worse of all my guns that I shot...so disappointed! It shoots around 2.5 inches lower but the groupings are good though.....there is an adjuster to change the Hop and pitch, but I haven't tried it yet, and I don't know if it'll make a difference. I don't even know how to adjust the hop just yet as there is no information on this procedure. I only can get 3 magazines on one full CO2 cartridge, so it's not great, but the blowback feels great! The trigger is much better than the Gen3 by far - very light and responsive.

Magazine: too bad it's not spring loaded!!! It needs gravity, and it's really too bad that it wasn't like the Gen 3. I find that the magazine doesn't click easily when loading and you really need to give it a push, and if not, it drops to the floor, which has happened to me 2 times.

Looking down at the barrel from the front of the gun, I noticed that it's copper colored...wished it was black like the previous Glocks.

Anyhow, I like how the gun feels, it screams quality and looks like a real Glock, but the shooting accuracy unfortunately needs to be much better. I hope the hop adjustment helps, but not holding my breath. Had it being able to shoot more accurately, this would be the best gun yet. The Gen3 shooting is much more accurate than this one by far, and it's difficult to adjust if the gun shoot high or low....better if it's left or right.

Cheers

Post subject: Re: Glock 17 Gen4 Review
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:33 am 

It's so good a review can be as we all like to know the cons first for a new gun before considering buying one~

I don't like the co2 loading method like this either~ so tricky and use most of my time in dealing with the big hex nut...

The HOP up adjustment looks not very useful for steel BB guns as the BB is smaller (4.5mm vs 6mm), and much heavier... So it's hard to control how it spins when leaving the muzzle... ( That's one reason we got fliers...)

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:21 pm 

The magazine is terrible
I dropped mine within 5 minutes as it isn’t actually attached when pushed in unless you smack it
I broke my magazine feedlips off by the second co2 canister as the follower kept slipping when I was trying to load it. Parts are not available to fix the magazine so I have another one on the way to the tune of another 70$.

I will be selling this gun as soon as my new magazine arrives.
This gun is epically bad considering it’s price.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:25 pm 

:idea: Convinced me, I'm keeping my 6mm 8)

Glock G17 6mm
SW M'n'P 40, Crosman 357 6'', SA 1911 TRS
Brodax 44, M1911A1 twin barrel 6mm.
M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa6mm, M1911 twin Hi-Capa
H'n'K USP. DT4 Nemesis 6mm

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:47 pm 

do you think they rushed it to market and rather than engineer the proper inerds for a BB gun, grabbed what was on the shelf? (the AirSoft)

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 10:36 pm 

Leon Yrag wrote:
do you think they rushed it to market and rather than engineer the proper inerds for a BB gun, grabbed what was on the shelf? (the AirSoft)

Dear Hoppy,
Yes.

Roy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:09 am 

Totally
The hop up adjustment made no difference on mine
Still shoots way too low

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:43 pm 

Everyone, please! remember this is a BB gun that has a smooth bore barrel, and shoots in the low 300's.

It was never designed to be a competition grade target pistol. It was designed to be a replica airgun for plinking cans & maybe training for the real firearm. If you are looking for something with competition level accuracy, there are a number of pellet shooters that would be suitable.

I know there are a small group of airgun that have a replica look and shoot fairly accurately, but they are mostly pellet pistols with rifled barrels, and most are in the price range far above the Gen 4.

Accept it for what is it, a very close replica of the real thing, that was designed for plinking cans & targets. Realism vs. accuracy is always a trade-off in airguns. All of the most accurate airguns look nothing like real firearms. Probably why they are mostly bought by true airgunners, and used mostly for higher level target shooting & serious hunting. I don't think a lot of people would by a $1,500 PCP rifle to plink in the backyard.

My Glock 17 Gen 4 shoots about 1" high @ 23 ft., so if I adjust my POA so the front sight post just covers the bullseye, it is pretty close. I plan on installing a laser on the front rail to help with the accuracy. I find this gun to be more accuracy than my steel BB Beretta 92A1, and Glock 19x, but not as accurate as my Colt 1911 Combat Vet and XBG. It is almost as accurate as my pellet Sig M17, and Ace in the Hole revolver. I would best describe it as similar accuracy to my Colt BB Peacemaker.

Yes, maybe they did rush it to market and yes there are some glitches in the manufacture, (for example the BB follower broke on my mag. and now I need to hold it open to reload), but that should be expected. I hear the demand by Glock enthusiasts, was overwhelming. And this isn't the first airgun to have glitches in the manufacturer. Remember the Legends MP40, they had to change the 60 shot mag. to a 52 shot one, as it was jamming occasionally. (I'm glad I waited to buy that one)

Umarex has a 90 day warranty, and is good about exchanging defective airgun. The exchanges in Canada are done thru the sellers, not Umarex.

I recommend you practice with it a bit more before you pass final judgement.

Also, diananike put your Glock 17 Gen 4 for sale in the ads. It will sell fast. I would buy it right now, if I didn't have one & the 19x, already.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:59 pm 

***IMPORTANT*** FIRST THING TO DO OUT OF THE BOX:

put one 1.5'' layer of electric tape on both side of the magasine!!

SAME PROBLEM WITH AIRSOFT GEN4 GLOCK'S

the Gen 4 mag release is so large than it's verry easy to push on it while shooting or manipulate it, a verry bad design IMO, I prefered the small Gen3 mag release.

It even happen to me with my Real 9mm Glock 19 gen4.

With the tape, the mag will be squeezed into the grip, so it will not fall on the floor accidentaly. You will need to pull it to remove it.

It's a replica of a glock, not a real glock, accuracy may be different from one gun to another, and it's not designed to be abused like the real deal, they are kind of fragile with small plastic parts. For paper shooting it's perfect. No mater wich airgun you have, don't drop the mag on the floor because something will suffer...

Post subject: Re: Review
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:22 pm 

:axe:
Quote:
.. why they are mostly bought by true airgunners..

:?: :shock: :roll: :!: :evil: :rolleyes: :|

:wink:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:04 pm 

Just to say my 6mm G17 Gen 3 shoot's on the spot not a match gun of corse. My USP (blowback) shoot's very little low, My M'n'P40 shoot's quite low, GSG92 way low and left. What I mean is tha the G17 is not alone in that club...

Of course I am not expecting a match level precision from a BB gun, just fun plinking. But I find it a bit desapointing that Umarex did not take care of such an issue before releasing on the market :cry:

SilentMan

Glock G17 6mm
SW M'n'P 40, Crosman 357 6'', SA 1911 TRS
Brodax 44, M1911A1 twin barrel 6mm.
M1911 Dragon 7'' Hi-Capa6mm, M1911 twin Hi-Capa
H'n'K USP. DT4 Nemesis 6mm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:02 pm 

waltherglocksmith wrote:
***IMPORTANT*** FIRST THING TO DO OUT OF THE BOX:

put one 1.5'' layer of electric tape on both side of the magasine!!

SAME PROBLEM WITH AIRSOFT GEN4 GLOCK'S

the Gen 4 mag release is so large than it's verry easy to push on it while shooting or manipulate it, a verry bad design IMO, I prefered the small Gen3 mag release.

It even happen to me with my Real 9mm Glock 19 gen4.

With the tape, the mag will be squeezed into the grip, so it will not fall on the floor accidentaly. You will need to pull it to remove it.

It's a replica of a glock, not a real glock, accuracy may be different from one gun to another, and it's not designed to be abused like the real deal, they are kind of fragile with small plastic parts. For paper shooting it's perfect. No mater wich airgun you have, don't drop the mag on the floor because something will suffer...

Now, that's realistic! :rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
I really don't know what people see in Glock PBs other than name status.

Post subject: Re: Glock 17 Gen4 Reveal
PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 10:23 pm 

Edmonton<500 wrote:
..Now, that's realistic! ..

teehee.