Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:32 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: POLL: Buying Mistakes
PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:56 pm 

Over 12 years of airgun enjoyment, I have spent about $700 in purchases that did not have the accuracy, build quality and long life I had expected. I only buy based on enough reviews gathered from this forum and the internet. My definition of accuracy is small target groups up to 25 feet. Your expectations may be different ( good plinker but not great target shooter). Lets just list the ones that were poor performers for those reasons I listed above. Here are my disappointments: Crosman 760 Pumpmaster, Crosman 1077 , Crosman Vigilante, Umarex NXG 490 , Dan Wesson 760 in pellet and BB versions and Umarex Polymer Colt Python. I have never spent over $400 on any product but do have others which are very much better than those listed including some costing less than $100.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:21 pm 
Supporting Members

While all the guns you listed are far from great shooters, some of them can be made to be great shooters.

Im addicted to brake fluid..........but I can stop anytime....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:54 pm 

made in Turkey Ekol ES66.
bought new from a CDN dealer dec 2016.
my experience mirrors a review on RAGs.(?) (Pyramyd?)...

high and to the left, at 18'. "..off the paper POI.."
8-1/2 x 11 copier paper, draw a dot in the middle, hang verticle/portrait @ 6m, shoot ten times.

3-5 holes in the upper left corner.

the most fun i had with this gun was over a ravine with the sun behind me. the BBs left like tracers with very good accuracy, shot off-hand/free-hand/off the hip?

..and yet.. the hefty weight, all metal construction, cold metal, the clanky metallic thisisamachine noise coming from it..

makes me glad to pack it around for a while in a CDN military holster from the late 40s, (designed for when we used Browning High Powers) me making bang! bang! noises.

.... but i'm even happier to have the Ekol ES55 i bought from jimmy, here on the forum a year ago.

these guns are first cousins, the main diff being the barrel length. but it's the shorter barrel (ES55) that is the waaaay more accurate gun as a 2" grouper or fun plinker.

these are odd guns.

BB only, but rifled barrel.
shoots best w Gamo lead round balls, but has a magnetic retainer at top of magazine.
no safety, but has a decocker.
metal slide on metal frame, but only slides if mag is out.

L

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:34 pm 

Like the others I have made some purchases that I later regretted, but most were when I was just getting back into airgunning after a number of years away. They mostly related to what I would call entry level airguns, almost all were on sale for a price I could not pass up at the time. Now they sit in the back of the closet, never to see the light of day.

As I got more knowledgeable, I did more research, read & watched more reviews, interacted on forums like this, and made better decisions. I also try to stick to the goals & objectives I have for my collection. Western & military replicas are where I'm trying to stick to (with the occasional purchase of something to get rid of that pesky rabbit or squirrel). I can now go to the "Bargain Cave" at Cabela's or go thru the surplus section of the Princess Auto website, with out doing much damage. My wish list for air guns I hope come to the market is very, very short. A good AK 47 replica similar to the Legends MP40 of Crosman DPMS (please don't recommend the Crosman Comrade AK) and a Coach Gun/double barrel shotgun, hopefully shell loading, (not interested in a Daisy Model 21, overpriced and not very functional). And of course a 4 & 3/4" barrel Colt Peacemaker "gunfighters" edition, maybe even with the rattlesnake on the grip like Clint used.

Most of my current mistakes (if you can call them that) relate to vintage airguns I buy online. Sometimes the pictures really do lie (if you don't look real carefully) and sometime sellers don't understand what the term "good working order" means for a air gun. Thankfully I have a real good airgun repairer that is a wizard at getting them working. Luckily most just need new seals or valves.

So, to quote an old Cowboy from the Dakotas, "yous pay your money, and you take your chances". I keep this in mine when ever I make one of these mistakes.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:53 pm 

Airguns are like my kids, I love 'em all no matter what.

Attachments:
no regrets!.jpg
no regrets!.jpg [ 6.25 KiB | Viewed 360 times ]

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:13 pm 

Also, Ten-ring, sorry you didn't like your Crosman 1077. I have one and find it to be a nice accurate plinkler/target shooter. Getting more than 70 shots per CO2. Bought cheap it in a Grand Opening sale at a local CDN Tire, came with shooting glasses and 3 spare rotary clips.

My only complaint, it is a little too light, could use a little more heft. Don't think I will buy the new Ruger 1022 air rifle, as I feel it is a close duplicate of the 1077.

I installed a wood stock to make it look/feel a bit more realistic, & got a couple of spare magazines. Use it a lot with a moving target gallery like this, that I got at Princess Auto:

https://www.pyramydair.com/s/a/Air_Vent ... arget/7381

I agree with you on the other airguns. I'm glad I passed on the Crosman Vigilante and the polymer Colt Python, and got a Swiss Arms 357 shell loading CO2 revolver instead (same as the Umarex Colt Python 357).

Interesting fact, one of my most accurate and favorite airguns, of my whole collection is a generic .177 break barrel pellet rifle with wood stocks, made in China, I got at Princess Auto for $24.44, about 5 years ago. Can't see how they can make the wood stocks for that price, never mind the whole airgun.

Duke, I agree with you, but must say that I love some of my airguns more than others. Does that make me a bad father?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 5:32 pm 

My mistake was buying a VERY stiff springer.Hatsan 95..Had i kept it ,i would have ,arms like Arnold.The other mistake was buying it through,a dealer that doesnot return PST .I live in Alberta,where we don't pay PST.But the dealer charged it to me anyways....

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:36 pm 

"Also, Ten-ring, sorry you didn't like your Crosman 1077"..
I wanted to like it but out of the box FPS was very low -could not hit a target at 16 feet. Returned to CT for refund not replacement.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:38 pm 

Tallieho1, you should not have paid another Province's PST on shipments that are sent directly to Alberta. The Canadian seller should know this. If they don't, then buy from other vendors like Airgun Source, Canada Shooting Supply, Replica Airguns, Airgun & Archery Fun, Cabela's, Princess Auto, and many others that know the rules, and don't overcharge their customers for taxes that are not to be charged. Heck even Pyramyd Air from the USA, knows these tax rules. Most of the sellers sell similar items at similar prices, so unless the guy you bought from is more than 8% less than everyone else, don't give him the business.

Let your buying decisions teach the seller a hard lesson. Sometimes it is the only way a person will learn.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 8:39 pm 

ten-ring, sounds like your 1077 was defective. Mine is very accurate.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:50 am 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Tallieho1, you should not have paid another Province's PST on shipments that are sent directly to Alberta. The Canadian seller should know this. If they don't, then buy from other vendors like Airgun Source, Canada Shooting Supply, Replica Airguns, Airgun & Archery Fun, Cabela's, Princess Auto, and many others that know the rules, and don't overcharge their customers for taxes that are not to be charged. Heck even Pyramyd Air from the USA, knows these tax rules. Most of the sellers sell similar items at similar prices, so unless the guy you bought from is more than 8% less than everyone else, don't give him the business.

Let your buying decisions teach the seller a hard lesson. Sometimes it is the only way a person will learn.

The culprit was oshoot.I told him well in advance that i was in Alberta.In fact born & raised here.I'll NEVER buy from him again.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 11:49 am 

Tallieho1 wrote:
BB1Shooter wrote:

The culprit was oshoot.I told him well in advance that i was in Alberta.In fact born & raised here.I'll NEVER buy from him again.

What does being born and raised had to do with anything? I was born and raised in Alberta, but I live in Nova Scotia. Does that mean I don't need to pay PST... *Rolls Eyes* Kidding. Only thing that should matter is the residential address.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2019 1:43 pm 

Sad to hear Oshoot is still getting it wrong when it comes to charging sales tax.

I would have thought some of his customers would have set him straight, or he would have figured it out himself, by now.

Seems like he is trying hard. Maybe he just needs a better accountant. (insert CPA Canada ad here)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:28 am 

My mistakes were all scopes, the first 3 scopes I bought were not airgun rated or AO so they didnt last long and the parallax issue almost made me give up on springers.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:05 pm 

I'll second Garth on that. Shot pretty good open sights, seemed like I played with scopes weekly, maybe hourly when shooting alot.

Worst has been Benjamin Classic .22. Weeks of tinkering and exchanging gun, finally shoots great, bad trigger still. Maybe spoiled by T-06 trigger on another Diana?

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk