Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Barrel twists
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:10 am 

So obvously matching the correct pellet to your barrel twists dramaticaly increases accuracy. How do you figure out your barrels twist rate?

Post subject: Re: Barrel twists
PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 7:30 am 

If I remember but been awhile. But you need a cleaning rod, a patch on it, measuring tape and a piece of tape.

Premise is the patch digs into the rifling and turns the rod. The tape acts as a flag so you can see the rotations.

Larry explains it simple.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cdoCNZBlRGQ

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:04 pm 

Measuring the rate of twist is easy, however, you still have to try different pellets to see what shoots best.
There is no known literature that tells you what pellet to use with ? rate of twist, thus, back to the drawing
board on testing different pellets.
It's pretty much a crap shoot - you have to do the shooting to find what your rifle or pistol likes.
Knowing the rate of twist is in no way, a help. It is what it is. This is not like matching bullet weights/lengths
for a Centre Fire rifle.
Some guns like heavy for calibre pellets, some don't. Some like Crossman Pellets, some don't.
MOST like the typical-for-calibre JSB pellets, meaning 8.2/4gr. in .177 and 14.2/4gr. in .22. Some prefer H&H's, like my .22's.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:22 pm 

Ok seen lots of videos were people say you should try to find the best pellet for your twist rate by pushing a pellet down the barrel and measure the diamater of the pellet with the barrel forget the exact process

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 4:33 pm 

Twist rates for pellets are currently undergoing a HUGE change.... Diabolo (waisted) pellets are drag stabilized, like a Badminton shuttlecock, and need very little spin.... Most airgun manufacturers have not yet even started to change over to the new, slow twist barrels.... Sean Pero and I started the trend with the 26" twist .30 cal. barrel we designed for TJ's, which won the EBR in 2014.... Some, like FX, are starting to produce slower twist pellet barrels, with their new STX series liners.... Here is a chart of what they are currently producing....

Note they are now using a 27" twist in .25 cal and a 40" twist in .30 cal.... These are similar to the 18" twist of the .177 cal.... The only caliber where they don't have a twist rate that is 100 calibers long, or slower, is in .22 cal. where the slowest twist is 19".... That surprises me, I think you will see a slower twist .22 cal pellet liner from them in the near future.... something on the order of 22".... American Air Arms, in their EVOL series, which are designed for pellets, not slugs, are using a 32" twist in .25 cal and a 42" twist in .30 cal, even slower than FX.... :shock:

Slugs are an entirely different matter.... You need to spin them fast enough to get gyroscopic stability....

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:03 pm 

Ok intresting because like 90% of air guns have rifling wich is a twisted grove for the pellet to follow. So i guess its more how snug the pellet is in the barrel to maintain stability in flight. Does anyone know how "snug" the pellet should be as it passes thru the barrel?

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 8:17 pm 

When you figure that out, let us know.... You can have two rifles of the same model that prefer different pellets, or sizes of pellets.... The rule regarding what pellet will work best in a given rifling twist is that there are no rules.... :roll:

Try it and see what your gun likes.... :wink:

Bob

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:26 pm 

Pretty sure thats because they each have a diffrent barrel twist (rifiling twist) and matching the pellet with the rifle twist gives you supreme accuracy just wondering how do you match them

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:41 am 

Pretty sure Bob was inferring, same gun, same barrel, same twist, .... Two identical guns when you look at them will choose different pellets. I have three TX200s with identical barrels, tuned to the same power and each one shoots a different pellet. How do I know that? As Daryl and Bob suggested, I tried all the pellets and the gun chose their favourite one. One shoots JSB 8.44 in 4.53 head size, another shoots AA 7.87 in 4.52 head size and the last one shoots JSB 10.3 in 4.52 head size. The one shooting the heavies was a little bit of a surprise, as I usually do not even use them to test in the TX200, but a friend suggested to give them a try. Can't argue with pellets landing real close together at 50 yards and on a breezy day no less.

Long story short, I do as Daryl and Bob suggest and shoot until the gun choses a pellet. Heck, I love shooting anyway, so no hardship there. :D

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 9:09 am 

Ravenairgun wrote:
Pretty sure thats because they each have a diffrent barrel twist (rifiling twist) and matching the pellet with the rifle twist gives you supreme accuracy just wondering how do you match them

Bob knows a thing or two about airguns. But you can have same gun, same barrel, but made on different machines, and give a different results. You can have 2 barrels made at a different time, on same machine and have different results, due to tooling wearing down, or different stock.

Only real positive method is just picking up pellets and finding out what shoots the most. Like a bunch others said. Also everybody shoots slightly different. So I can have the same pellets, barrel, gun as Bob and Ill get a different results.

Personally I never really heard much about matching pellets to rifle twist. In fact this post is the first one.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:45 am 

Same gun, same barrel, cut from same barrel blank one after the other, rifling cut on the same machine, with the same tooling, back to back and still they very well could choose different pellets. There are so many variables that predicting is a waste of time. Shoot!

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:20 am 

Lol may not be a waste of time if i can figure out what you are supposed to match with the barrel twist because im pretty sure its the mm of the pellet and the only thing i see change in the same caliber is the weight or shape of the head of the pellet maybe some one knows what you are supposed to match from the pellet to the barrel twist?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:17 pm 

Ravenairgun - you are not listening because you already have an idea in your head that is blocking the truth about the whole 'deal'.
I have a model 97 HW that loves, absolutely loves Cometa 4.51mm JSB's but will not shoot the standard JSB Diabolo 4.51's that LOOK
identical and are the same size & weight, exactly. The standard pellets shoot double the groups sizes, at 25 yards & do it consistently.
You have to shoot the gun. No amount of decifering/figuring/manifpulating of numbers is going to answer the problem of knowing which
pellet will shoot.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 12:39 pm 

Ya no inunderstand what you guys are saying i mean there got to be some kind of diffrenece or somtjing that makes them fly diffrent is all im trying to say because if they were 100% identical they would fly the same....

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:14 pm 

Pellets are different.... Barrels are different.... Put the pellet in the gun and see how it shoots, because no amount of measuring or calculating will tell you that.... :roll:

Bob