Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Choosing a PCP rifle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:02 pm 

I recently but my first real air rifle (.22cal HW80) and love it. I need to practice the artillery hold since it’s a springer, but in the meantime have been bench shooting with the use of a paint roller method which acts as an artillery hold and gives great groupings at 25 yards.

My sudden interest in air guns is growing fast, and I am now trying to learn what my next rifle might be. I’d like to have something that is multi shot… which leans me towards PCP’s.

I like that my HW80 is quiet and powerful to do small game hunting/pest control. But now I want that plus multi shot and something easier to shoot (no recoil challenge like with the springers).

I’ve been reading that the Benjamin Marauder is a popular choice loved by many.
Quiet + very accurate easily up to 50 yards + multi shot + quality rifle + powerful

I’d like to know people’s opinion or recommendations. Should I look into something different ?

Also, curious to know the basics between regulated and not regulated rifle.
Should I consider .25 over .22 for better small game hunting or rodent/pest control?

So many things to learn and choose from!

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Choosing a PCP rifle
PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:18 pm 

Some guns shoot best with a normal hold (mine, Davey's & Si Pittaway's), some with the artillery hold, I have read.
The Mrod would be a good one. I was advised to get a .25 over a .22 cal. when I purchased my Air Force Condor. I
am very glad I did, but then, I already had 3 other .22 cal. rifles, 2 of which were PCP's, plus a Springer.
I would not even consider a .177 in the Mrod.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:40 pm 

It really comes down to budget and need. I just ordered the gauntlet in .22. From all the reading / watching it’s the best valued PCP available. It’ll shoot 100 yards, it’s regulated, it’s cheap!

Too bad they don’t have a Canadian .25 or I would have ordered that.

I will probably end up buying a much more expensive high end .25 or .30 cal one day, but for now the budget is gauntlet sized.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:47 pm 

You have a great springer, stick with that awhile and try different things.
No need to purchase extras which may add up to the same price as PCP gun.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:26 pm 

Unless you live outside of Canada, none of the powerful pcp guns will be quite. Devises that make them quiet have been removed.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 8:47 pm 

Yeah unfortunately the Marauder isn't silenced in Canada nor is anything else.
Personally if looking for a quality gun for a great price that is fairly quiet I'd recommend the Kral Puncher Mega or one of the other Kral offerings. I've got one of the Walnut Kral Mega in 22 left and one in synthetic and the Walnut is a beaut in my opinion and very efficient! It has a well made valve that is quite balanced so that it acts like it's regulated even though it's not, which gives you a high shot count and also keeps it fairly quiet because it's not blasting wasted air out the barrel.
Raman at Canadashootingsupply.ca has done some range time with the Kral guns and found them one hole accurate. He's also got other models of the Kral available if you prefer a bottle gun for tons of shots. These are all crazy cheap for what you get!
There's lots of great options from different sellers but Kral is a good choice, especially now we've got an official distributor in Canada that can get parts, and is great to deal with.
Cheers,
Wes
Airgunarcheryfun.ca

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:45 pm 

Just curious then...what do people in Canada use as backyard multi shot rifles? Either for pest control or fun paper shooting.
From what I understand PCP models allowed in Canada are too loud that they would disturb neighbors... so does that mean anyone concerned about backyard noise only uses springers? Which limits to one shot rifles?

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:45 pm 

If you would be satisfied with less than full power then you could enjoy the benefits without the down side of excessive noise and the hassle and expense of getting air into the thing. 12ftlb rifles tend to solve some of those concerns.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:55 pm 

Jorg wrote:
Just curious then...what do people in Canada use as backyard multi shot rifles? Either for pest control or fun paper shooting.
From what I understand PCP models allowed in Canada are too loud that they would disturb neighbors... so does that mean anyone concerned about backyard noise only uses springers? Which limits to one shot rifles?

Most Canadians cant legally use airguns in their back yards. Maybe the Diana Chaser or Storm Rider/ Trail Scout under 500fps would be more suitable

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:58 pm 

What about Canadian's who pest control on local farm land but want a rifle silent enough so they can get multiple follow up shots (not scare all the game with 1st shot).
What rifle's would they use?
As already mentioned, I was leaning towards the Benjamin Marauder because it seems to have good reviews as hunting/pest rifle, quietest PCP on the market, and multi shot ???

So big question is : what do Canadian's use as a multi shot, silent, pest/hunting rifle, accurate at least up to 50 yards ?

thanks

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:09 pm 

As mentioned you need to look for something with as efficient a valve as possible, and then shoot as heavy a pellet you can find that would still have enough velocity to be useful, as this further quietens the gun.
The Diana Stormrider outfitted with a restricted transfer port and detuned to 750fps is fairly quiet.
The Kral Mega I mentioned is fairly quiet, and so is the Diana Outlaw.
The Outlaw I tested was really accurate at 50 and 100 yards.

The Gauntlet has a fairly long barrel and that quiets a gun down as well, so it could be a decent choice too, known for its accuracy and in 22 cal is in that 700-800fps range.
Best of luck,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:37 pm 

all PCP's in Canada are noisy do to the fact that suppressors are not legal...don't be fooled by
someone telling you there is a quite PCP without a suppressor...some PCP's may be a bit less noisy
then others depending on how much power your after, but nowhere as close to the quietness of a springer...
if your looking to be quite then a strong .22 springer is your best bet for pest control on farm land
i would suggest a Diana RWS 24 or HW 30s...light and accurate for all day shooting and not as hold
sensitive as your HW80

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:26 pm 

Yeah, quiet or power...

And the Gauntlet looks really a great value! Don't know if we have the super power .25 @ 900fps too?!

Sent from my S8 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 8:33 pm 

Go with the benjamin maurader. And if your in canada go for your PAL unrestricted license and get the full power airguns alot more fun then the 500 fps. and expecialy if your on farm land i plink pop cans at 110 yds with my hp benjiman springer i modded 750 fps with 14 gr. Extreamly acurate and also ALOT more humane for putting down pests. Anything from the belly up is guarenteed a quick kill. The 500 fps unless your guarenteed a good head shot or you have an extreamly accurate shot for vitals is not really good for pest control expecialy in 177 :evil: :rolleyes:

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:23 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
And if your in canada go for your PAL unrestricted license and get the full power airguns alot more fun then the 500 fps.

i'm guessing the OP has his PAL since he did purchase and has an HW80