Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Choosing a PCP rifle
PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 9:02 pm 

CCI Quiet is listed at 68db, a full power HW97 is about 90db

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:01 pm 

That sure is nice and quiet!

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 5:54 am 

Problem with CCI Quiet is they don't shoot accurate... at least not with my .22LR.
I have a Savage Mark II and have tested several brand bullets at the range on 25 yards.
SK Rifle Match ammunition shoots very tight groups (5 shot groups less then 3/8" at 25yards).
Blazer shoots very nice groups too (5 shot groups 3/8" at 25yards)
CCI Quiet all over the place with 1.5" groups.

This is one of the reasons I bought an air rifle... looking for quietness AND accuracy.
The ammunition I use with my .22LR for accuracy does not ALSO give me quietness.

Thanks for information on decibals though.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 18, 2019 7:55 am 

Stick to airguns thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:29 am 

I have a Gauntlet in 22 very happy with it's features. would Recommend it as a very high value for the money gun. bit on heavy side but has the accuracy , power and multi-shot. with cheap magazine. I will Never ever sell mine, it is a keeper for sure. As far as I can tell not a better gun out there for the money. Happy to answer any questions you may have about this gun. just PM me

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:29 am 

While thinking of a PCP rifle, it's definitely accurate and lighter than other platforms, like springers...

And I have a question here as I found most of the PCP rifle, there is a breech, then a long barrel extends from the breech and no need for a barrel band something in the middle to support it...

I understand some use a bottle that looks can't put a band on it... How about the others using a longer tune? Is that adding a band on so called a 'sweet spot' could increase the accuracy of the gun?

And make it more stable? I always worry about just holding the end 2 inches can really give enough support to the long barrel...

Sent via Samsung S9

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:10 pm 

Barrel bands on tank and bl. can definitely have stabilizing results.
However, they obviously are not needed on some guns.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 3:38 pm 

So from what I’m getting as suggestions are :
- Umarex Gauntlet .22
- Kral Puncher Mega .22
- Benjamin Marauder .22
-Diana Outlaw .22

Does anyone know of a store or place near Montreal, QC where I could see and maybe try one of these air rifles? What’s the closest walk-in air rifle store to Montreal ?

Any other comments or suggestions for a first time PCP rifle?
Decision would be based on :
-quietness (currently have a HW80 springer which I find quiet enough to give an idea)
-ease to shoot (compared to my HW80 springer which I am having to shoot on a rest with a paint roller system to simulate artillery hold)
-multi-shot magazine
-accuracy up to at least 50 yards
-price

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:35 pm 

Of those listed, I would go with the Mrod.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:07 pm 

For a hunter not a bench gun I'd have to choose the Outlaw. It's the best gun I've ever had in the hands for free hand shooting. Nice and easy to hold steady and short, easy to carry in the woods, and a couple pounds lighter than the Marauder and the Kral Walnut.
The Sidelever and added shot count are also great perks in my opinion. Price is a negative but still less than the Marauder. Accuracy is excellent from what shooting I've done at 50 and 100 yards.
Stock is Beech, easily dinged, so a negative for hunting. Looks nice when new though!
Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:40 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
For a hunter not a bench gun I'd have to choose the Outlaw. It's the best gun I've ever had in the hands for free hand shooting. Nice and easy to hold steady and short, easy to carry in the woods, and a couple pounds lighter than the Marauder and the Kral Walnut.
The Sidelever and added shot count are also great perks in my opinion. Price is a negative but still less than the Marauder. Accuracy is excellent from what shooting I've done at 50 and 100 yards.
Stock is Beech, easily dinged, so a negative for hunting. Looks nice when new though!
Wes

+1 on the Diana, had the chance to chrony Apitagan's Outlaw in 177 and though it was shooting hot at 975fps with 10.34gr
I still find it quite. Nice stock, sidelever, multishot, carbine and shoulders really good. Planning to bring it to the range to see how it shoots.

err

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:07 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Wes

Totally agree with this... My personal experience with the Outlaw is superb so far.. Did I mention it has a Minelli Stock from Italy?? ;-)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 11:09 pm 

err wrote:
wesb2007 wrote:
Wes

+1 on the Diana, had the chance to chrony Apitagan's Outlaw in 177 and though it was shooting hot at 975fps with 10.34gr
I still find it quite. Nice stock, sidelever, multishot, carbine and shoulders really good. Planning to bring it to the range to see how it shoots.

err

We'll try the slugs and the 16gns H&N Err. With this current setting I think 50m to even 75 would be a blast for the Goddess of beauty... ;-)

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:30 pm 

Jorg wrote:
So from what I’m getting as suggestions are :
- Umarex Gauntlet .22
- Kral Puncher Mega .22
- Benjamin Marauder .22
-Diana Outlaw .22

Does anyone know of a store or place near Montreal, QC where I could see and maybe try one of these air rifles? What’s the closest walk-in air rifle store to Montreal ?

Any other comments or suggestions for a first time PCP rifle?
Decision would be based on :
-quietness (currently have a HW80 springer which I find quiet enough to give an idea)
-ease to shoot (compared to my HW80 springer which I am having to shoot on a rest with a paint roller system to simulate artillery hold)
-multi-shot magazine
-price

Based on personal experience having owned or still own (I still have the Kral and the Diana) all of these rifles, I will rank it as:

1. Diana
2. Kral
3. Marauder
4. Gauntlet

Taking out the multi-shot but rather would discuss on how the multishot feels with its magazine.

Diana for its aesthetics and performance and features I have the 177 btw . Beautiful Minelli stock, regulated power, very quiet despite shooting hot at this point (makes about 950ish in 10.g pellets), very accurate, handy . Well built mags and feeding well. Price for the features is ok for me but higher than the other rifles in comparison... (a bit lower priced than the Marauder)

Kral. Unregulated but functions like a regulated unit (see my other comments in another thread). A bit underpowered to my liking ( I got the 25 cal). Sidelever and mag feeds quite nicely and almost as good as the FX and the AirArms I have. Very accurate with the stock barrel. A bit heavy with the synthetic stock and loud without the shroud. A good value for money.

Marauder. I used to have the first gen wood stock version. Very heavy, shrouded and accurate ( I think I got lucky on the draw so to speak) but you have to do a bit of tweaking on the hammer spring and valve port to maximize efficiency. Bulky to my liking . Quieter than the Kral but barks a bit more as compared to the Diana. The magazine is the least quality compared to the first 2 rifles mentioned above... but the Marauder's mags work with the Gauntlet so that's a plus point. Priced higher than the Diana when I got it.

Gauntlet (Got it in 177 and now it resides with WesB.. :-) )

Very heavy and long ( I got the US version but without the baffles just want to be clear)
Lots of rough edges here and there but nothing that could be replaced or modified to suit your shooting preference.
Literally a "tool" for benchrest shooting or if you can wield it, would work on hunting trips as well but again, the weight for me makes me think otherwise.
Lowest priced in the group, lots of shots with its 13ci bottle.. Verrrry accurate... Would stand toe to toe with my then Brocock super 5 and my current Diana Outlaw once the trigger modification is done to it (e.g. ballpen spring replacement).

Not so much of a looker but a very good performer...

Hope this helped and happy choosing/shooting on whatever you decide on.

A.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:27 pm 

Wow… perfect luck for me that you own all 4 rifles in question and took the time to comment… thank-you!

So your top recommendation as a 1st PCP purchase would be the Diana Outlaw… and you say it’s also very quiet (I assume your talking about the Canadian version which wouldn't have any baffles or silencer system?).

Do you have any other comments or recommendations I might not have listed or thought to ask?
Keeping in mind :
-quietness
-ease to shoot
-multi-shot
-price

Thanks!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next