Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Polishing internals
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 12:21 am 

Hi folks,

Just a quick question.

What products are best to use when polishing a trigger sear and other internals? I've done this years ago to my 2240, but I can't for the life of me remember what I used. I don't think I had a dremel at the time, so it must have been something by hand. I have a dremel now, so any advise is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Polishing internals
PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 am 

Advice os don't dremrl trogger contact parts. Use SiC samdpaper in oncreasong # from abt 400 to 1000, wet and flat as possible . Dont smooth rdges, make rounds etc. Kepp angles true, just polish surfaces without changong profiles.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:27 am 

Check out a guy called Mountain Storm on YouTube. He has a whole series of videos on modding 2240s and at least one video on polishing the sear, trigger, hammer.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 4:19 pm 

I use a Dremel but also use what is called a “Ruby Nail File” or “Revlon Ceramic Stone Nail File”. They're sweet b/c they last substantially longer than the normal stones sold for trigger and misc work. I also often wrap sandpaper around the file if I want a diff grit or I want to spare the file wear on tougher jobs. Point being you can simply wrap sandpaper around whatever, like a popsicle stick, butter knife, metal file or whatever.
I suggest good quality wet/dry paper made in the US or Canada, no chinese stuff! I usually use 3M, Norton or Gator.
For the Dremel I usually use sanding discs, Moore brand, Garnet in Fine and 7/8". I usually put a felt polishing wheel behind it for support. I only use it w/o the felt if it's a super delicate job. Those discs are kinda hard to find but my notes say I last got them from chimedsupply.com
http://www.chimedsupply.com/Moores-Pin- ... 78-GF.html
Either way they're super handy for misc projects so totally worth getting, imo. Same w/ the ceramic file, which I also use on various stuff. And of course I have like 10lbs of quality sandpaper from 80 to 2000grit, and various buffing compounds and grit pastes.
If you need a Demel I use the #7300 which is pretty cheap. It's advantages are it's cordless and spins at a much slower speed. I modded mine to fit in tighter spots and reverse direction for certain situations. Batt life kinda sux but you can put better batts in it or buy packs already done. I got a two pack from either ebay or amazon. It's nice to have extra charged batts ready... If interested I can explain how to mod the dremel or batt packs.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 6:07 pm 

Thanks for the info everyone. Much appreciated.

Chevota, I totally agree on using good quality sand paper. I only use Gator for household stuff. I do a bit of furniture refinishing and Gator is the best sand paper hands down.

I'll check out that dremel and also those stones you mentioned. I have a dremel but they can be a bit awkward for small work.

Thanks