Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: bb and pellet disposal.?
PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:18 am 

hey lads and probly a few lasses. this has probably been asked a few times here before. but I couldn,t find it. where does every one get rid of there used bbs and pellets and empty co2 cartridges. I,m starting to get a bit of a stockpile. so far I just throw my used co2s in the blue box. but wasn,t sure about bbs an pellets. I have them in soup cans for now. thanks.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 11:26 am 

BBs should be going to landfill (gray bin) as it's scrap metal?!

I still keep my empty co2s... Want to know too... Should be in blue bin...

Leads I just post here, and there is always some one in your area needs them for their big-bores etc...

Sent via Samsung S9

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:39 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

Check with your local recyclers for lead collection. Some will pay scrap value for used pellets.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:38 pm 

Living in the big city area, looks no this kind of business nearby and don't thing that some pounds lead can bring me a coffee money so wait for someone needs it and come to pick it up will save me some gas...

Sent via Samsung S9

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 2:44 pm 

I keep my spent pellets in old coffee cans, with lids. and use them for weights to keep my tarps down on the floor in the garage. I have a plan to someday turn them into big sinkers. My first real job was in a lead smelter in BC where I learned a lot about lead, and I think I have permanent neurological damage from being leaded. So, beware trying to melt your old pellets down at home and take precautions.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:04 pm 

I've been casting my own balls (muzzleloaders) as well as bullets for handguns and rifles since 1972. Done outside or indoors with a squirrel-cage blower (air to the outside) is perfectly 'safe'.

Good ventilation is a must, though. I've cast well over a ton of lead into balls and bullets - maybe over 2 tons - maybe even 4? I used to get lead from the telephone company? on King George
highway in Surrey with the PC. I'd load 400 to 500 pounds of lead (telephone junction casings into the trunk of the Police Car, then take them home. This was the process every 6 months or so.
I was shooting a lot of handgun, large bore rifles and ML's back then & even more since moving North from Surrey in 1978. Thus, I really have no idea how much lead I've cast into projectiles.
Currently (for 10 years or so, not shooting much - no more than 100 pounds a year in bullets I cast myself. I do shoot more than that, but The Bullet Barn casts my handgun & .458 rifle bullets nowadays, except for the bullets for my .45 Sharps and Winchester M1876 .50/95. Those and the ML balls, I cast myself.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 24, 2019 7:23 pm 

I don,t have a lot right now. maybe a soup can full of bbs and same with pellets. theres a scrap yard here in town. if I get a lot I,ll probably just take them there. I remember when we were kids we used to make our own sinkers in the back yard. just stuck our finger in dirt or sand ---got some of our sisters bobby pins --put it in the center of the hole and poured the lead in. size of the sinker depended on which finger you used and how far you pushed it into the hole. lots of fun. over 50 years ago. and you never saw an adult around at all-- even when we were melting and pouring the lead. lol.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 12:02 pm 

Well in my area of Hamilton the metal recycling guys come round every Saturday evening, they will take anything. If the older guys make a buck doing this then good on them, all I know gone is gone. Pete if you really want it gone just look at Kijiji and metal recyclers, they set up a driveway pickup.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 5:03 pm 

Local auto scrap yard takes all my lead and co carts. Just happy to get rid of it. Throws them in the cars and then crushes them. :D