Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:49 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Is this broken??
PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:36 pm 

Ravenairgun wrote:
Ya i tryed to crop and zoom all it is is a c ring shaped thin piece of metal that clips on the ram on the indent or grove for it in i kind of notice it kicks more and doesnt cycle as smooth still pretty accurate tho no nothing else was loose.

Are you sure that broken ring is not for cosmetic purpose?? It looks the gas ram tube doesn't need such a ring to function well...

Is that ring made from high tension steel (like a spring something) or you just can easily flaten it and "close" the C and put it back?! in the first pictures, I just thinking it's some kind of a key ring something...

Maybe we can search the replacement part (a new gas-ram) for your rifle to see how it looks when brand new...

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 1:49 pm 

Found out what it is its just a spacer cheap metal ring. And does the thin part of the gas ram gonin the piston with the thicker side towards the end of the tube?

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 4:02 pm 

sounds like you have the same problem as this guy, watch the vid click the link
curious did you get a shim or spacer with the kit, and did you use it if you did get one
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xyHn37B7-U

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:01 pm 

Ya sounds similar only i didnt bend the cocking arm, bent my elbow, and can hit hockey card size targets at 65 yards lol. I mean its back together shoots fine only thing diffrent from it shooting before the clip came off the piston was i found it cycled like 25% smoother. Anything i can do to it to reduce the left kick and make it cycle smoother? Should i sand the piston?

Attachments:
IRS20191125_170636.jpg
IRS20191125_170636.jpg [ 16.21 KiB | Viewed 167 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:16 pm 

Check for scoring on the "piston" the one that has the cocking slot and the seal. and check the compression tube to see if it has scratches, Polish the piston and hone the tube if there are any scratches. The gas ram doesn't contact anything so it doesn't need polishing. :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:51 pm 

Ok cool what do you polish it with? And what do you hone with lol

PostPosted: Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:15 pm 

You can do the rough cleanup with a file to take off the edges at the scratch, then coarse sandpaper wrap around a dowel, then hone. I use flex hones 180 grit, with honing oil. then wash out thoroughly with soap and water, then 240 grit, etc.
Here is a flex hone from USA, but you can get them locally. I forget where I got mine.
https://www.amazon.com/Research-FLEX-HO ... 0TQQ56NGMR
Polish piston with sandpapers, decreasing grits, wash thoroughly between grits.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:29 am 

Sounds good thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:35 pm 

Just a update sanded and polished the internals and tube gun shoots incredible. Almost as easy as a hp springer to cock and huge reduce in recoil and noise heres some pictures of the ram and piston and a regular piston beside it. And the gas ram before sanding and polish

Attachments:
IRS20191120_181930.jpg
IRS20191120_181930.jpg [ 52.66 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]
IRS20191127_193449.jpg
IRS20191127_193449.jpg [ 44.73 KiB | Viewed 128 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 7:59 pm 

It's kinda obscure but I posted the below pix a few times, and include it w/ my guide. It explains why the groove exists...
Why the wire C-ring thingie was in there I don't know, but get rid of it.
The gas spring should (normally) never touch the inside of the piston so the ID could be all scraped up and it won't hurt anything. The way I do the conversion requires no extra parts, is super easy to do and would not have cared that the C-clip was there.

As for the ID of the piston being scratched; it doesn't matter unless you want to convert back to spring, but if you do I suggest making one of the plastic liners for it to solve any roughness problem and make the gun as smooth and quiet as it is with a gas spring, like you just did. I actually prefer the coil spring and suggest people try that before converting to gas. If you want to sand the ID I would not use a brake hone or any other kind of store bought hone. They're too much $, and less (or not) effective compared to a home made one. I see you already sanded it but fyi for future use, especially if doing the compression tube/receiver which is what I do. How to make a good one is a bit much to explain here but I'll send you the info along w/ a ton of other tuning info if you want, just email me at chevota at hotmail. It has all kinds of misc info, like I believe you should grease the shaft of the spring b/c the factory does a crappy job of it. And like that video link Ace posted, I have the fix for that issue in there. I believe nobody does that mod until after the problem happens and the linkage is already bent, but it still works.

That gas spring you have is the oem Crosman unit, or I should say it's the one they buy from wherever to put in their guns. As far as damage, my only worry would be if the wire C clip scratched the springs shaft b/c that could then be a leak point. I don't know where the clip ended up after it fell out, and I'm guessing you stopped shooting it when it did, but it's something to think about. I don't see any, nor do I see how it could cause any. The damage to the outside of the springs body is nothing, you could trash that part and it would still work fine. They're a bid $pendy in CA, I'm guessin $52? In the US you can buy the whole gun for a few $ more. But what I wanted to say is the NP2 spring can be made to fit and it's ~$17CA. So if your spring fails or you want either more or less power, because the two NP2 springs are either a little stronger than the BT9 or ~2/3rds as strong. It's actually pretty nice to shoot one w/ a weaker spring, and considering the price it may be worth a try.

Attachments:
Nitro spring internals.jpg
Nitro spring internals.jpg [ 175.32 KiB | Viewed 126 times ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:18 pm 

Hey thanks for all the info and ill definatly email you for the tunning guide. The c ring acculy remained in the compression tube after it popped off and was in there the whole time shooting it it only came out affter oppening the compression tube. After i did the sand n polish to the gas ram piston and seal ring it eliminated all scratchs and gouges as well as two gouges on the front tip of the piston i only lightly sanded the compression tube until it felt smooth. i oiled up reassembled and now shoots super smooth with an extreame reduction in cocking effort, noise and recoil. And close range you hear the impact over the shot sound. When doing this conversion i highly sugest sanding and polishing. well worth the extra effort. Luckly the c clip didnt cause any serious damage thanks for all the input guy shoots incredible now! Will update tommoroe fps and fpe.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 28, 2019 12:58 pm 

Update: dont ever sand the rubber ring on the end of the piston dropped the fps to 630 with 14.3 gr. Popped a new seal on the piston back up to 705 FPS . Great mod also took chevotas asdvice and lubbed the gas ram rod and almost effortless to cock. Id say the conversions 100% complete

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2019 4:58 pm 

It depends on how you sand it... Normally I only sand the face of it which nets some free power and makes for a smoother shooting gun. I say normally b/c I normally use a new main seal. If trying to salvage an oem seal you may have to sand the OD if it's damaged. If so you have to be wary of you'll end up with the prob you had. Here's a pix of a seal I wanted to save and had to sand the OD a bit to do that. This seal barely had enough OD to work, but it does work.
Guns with seals like that, meaning barely enough OD, can go south if the gun is stored horizontally b/c the piston will smush the seal a bit via gravity. If so then it leak on the first shot, or possibly many shots until it recovers. If so the fix is buttons up front but the operation has to done right. I won't go into it here but if anyone needs it I can. The easy fix is buy a new seal but I think the oem Diana is better than any aftermarket seal so I chose to salvage it.

Attachments:
Untitled 2.jpg
Untitled 2.jpg [ 165.94 KiB | Viewed 60 times ]