Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: LW Polygonal barrels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 6:41 pm 

Hi, I'm asking if a LW polygonal barrel beneficial on a sub 500fps rifle? Would a conventional barrel be more suitable?

Tia, Ken

Post subject: Re: LW Polygonal barrels
PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:49 pm 

I don't see why not. The Daisy 853C used for eons by our Cadet core had a LW barrel didn't it?
I

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:56 pm 

I can’t answer if it is better or worse at under 500 fps , but I can add this. I just finished fitting one to an Evanix Rainstorm II for one of the forum members and it shoots lights out . I’ve done the standard LW barrel before and they shot equally well. Having the crown and leade cut will have an effect on accuracy also . I do think the 1:17.7” twist rate Lothar Walther use is better suited in .177 than .22 and .25 calibers

HW97 .177
HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX .223,22,177,172
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:00 pm 

In thinking bullet lengths, a 17.7" twist would work fine in .22 and .25 for conicals, up to 30gr. in .22 and quite likely
50gr. in .25.
Waisted pellets could use much slower twists, seems to me.

The standard rate of twist for .22 Short barrels, was 24". That was for a 29gr. conical at 1,100fps.
The standard rate of twist for .22 Long Rifle HP's and solids is 16", for velocities 1,080fps to 1,400+fps.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:37 pm 

Bsterne should have a handle on twists and what's required for waisted pellets and bullet.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2019 3:17 pm 

I have not tried it but my assumption is it would work better. The poly should seal better and have less friction to net more of what little power you have. Plus many guns like Crosman have awful barrels that by design cost you power, so you'd net that lost power. The next question is are you using the choke or not? Lothar are choked which is a huge bennie imo, but that choke also sucks some power so it may be an issue in a <500 gun. Not that the following story applies directly to a pellet, but I gave some Aguila Colibri 22LR ammo to a friend who had an Anchutz and the bullet stuck in the choke. The Colibri are slower than your <500 pellet and much more difficult to force thru a choke, but it's an example. I do not believe it would stick in a pellet gun but may take a chunk of velocity which may be random depending the pellet. So I picturing one comes out at 450, the next 420 etc. I'm guessing here, just saying I believe it's possible and the heavier the pell the worse it'll get. Like if you shot Baracuda pellets I'd bet $ it'll do that. A choke is way worth it and imo "the" thing to have, but only if you have the power to avoid the above probs and I simply don't know what that min power/velocity is.
I'd HATE to cut the choke off so if I were in your shoes I'd make it with the choke, and if that's a fail I'd make the gun full power, or save the barrel for a full power gun, or sell it to someone w/ a full power. Absolute last resort; cut the choke off. If you plan on not using the choke from the start then I'd save the choke end + as much barrel as you can so you/someone can use it on a pistol. The barrels are like 24" so you could use say 16" for your rifle and someone out there will gladly buy the remaining 8" choked end.
Since a <500 gun doesn't need 16" of barrel you could cut more off I spoze. Maybe make a deal w/ someone in advance, including inches, b4 you cut it. I'd say 50/50 on cost since the choked end is more valuable. Just some thoughts, fyi...