Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:22 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: M4 177 Barrel on a 1377
PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 9:27 am 

Got an m4 177 with a busted stock from a buddy. Stripped it for parts and was wondering how involved it would be to retrofit the barrel onto a 1377? I know I'll need to drill a transfer port, but does the bolt seal against the barrel or the breech?

Or is it more economical to just purchase a new longer barrel?

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:31 pm 

I believe the M4-177 barrel has a smaller O.D. than the diameter of a 13xx/22xx barrels. Stock barrels for them are readily available.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:36 pm 

Ratchetman - The barrel I have is the same diameter as my 1377 Barrel, I test fit it in my 1377 just now.

On closer inspection it seems to me that the bolt seats against the barrel, so there is obviously going to be some work to do there. As well as drilling out the transfer port..

I'm thinking this might just turn into a bit of an experiment for myself, seeing as I have limited resources... I'll see if I can make this barrel work for my application, and If I ruin it, its not a huge loss, just an excuse to buy a new barrel!!

My goal is to build a target rifle for my daughter. Right now shes consistently plinking cans at 15yrd with my old red Ryder from over 20yrs ago, so I think a good target carbine might really spark her interests

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:42 pm 

Is this barrel rifled?

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2019 10:55 pm 

This always interest me for the internals, do you have any pictures of the parts removed

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:19 am 

With a 17.25 inch barrel, there is a chance that your 1377 will reach more than 500 fps at 10 pumps. This will make it a restricted firearm.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 7:39 am 

I have the same question as the M4 177 is BB and Pellet rifle, and looks the websites don't mention it's rifled barrel or not... If it's rifled, I just say GO~ although there are something you need to mod (transfer port and the breech/bolt so far), but it will be a great experiments and not a big loss even it's just failed as you said!

Otherwise, no need to waste time and effort on a smooth bore barrel as the accuracy is not matchable...

Hope you finish it successfully ~ keep us posted~

And a friendly reminder as our member also mentioned, be careful about the velocity as the long ( it's really long for a 1377 platform as a 17 inches more) barrel... So you might need a chrony and search for info about lowering down the velocity on a 1377... The original US version M4 177 pumper (same 3 to 10 pumps) is shooting over 600fps...

Good luck and go~
Hondaromper wrote:
Ratchetman - The barrel I have is the same diameter as my 1377 Barrel, I test fit it in my 1377 just now.

On closer inspection it seems to me that the bolt seats against the barrel, so there is obviously going to be some work to do there. As well as drilling out the transfer port..

I'm thinking this might just turn into a bit of an experiment for myself, seeing as I have limited resources... I'll see if I can make this barrel work for my application, and If I ruin it, its not a huge loss, just an excuse to buy a new barrel!!

My goal is to build a target rifle for my daughter. Right now shes consistently plinking cans at 15yrd with my old red Ryder from over 20yrs ago, so I think a good target carbine might really spark her interests

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit
P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender
HW45+Grip panels from Russia

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:13 am 

The barrel is rifled and seems to be in very good condition, I don't think this m4 had seen much use before the butt stock got broken and buddy decided to junk it. I'm also aware of the increase in velocity when going to a new barrel, and will be purchasing a crony when I'm ready to put it together.

On a side note, if I were to assemble these parts on a 2289G pump tube would it not be classified as a rifle if I exceed 500fps? My original intention when stripping the m4 was to salvage the pump tube for use on my 2289, so I may have a spare pump tube that I could use to keep things keep things away from restricted territory.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:39 am 

Hondaromper wrote:
The barrel is rifled and seems to be in very good condition, I don't think this m4 had seen much use before the butt stock got broken and buddy decided to junk it. I'm also aware of the increase in velocity when going to a new barrel, and will be purchasing a crony when I'm ready to put it together.

On a side note, if I were to assemble these parts on a 2289G pump tube would it not be classified as a rifle if I exceed 500fps? My original intention when stripping the m4 was to salvage the pump tube for use on my 2289, so I may have a spare pump tube that I could use to keep things keep things away from restricted territory.

No, RCMP classifies them as a pistol. Once a pistol always a pistol.

Quote:
Ron G.
Post subject: Re: Crosman 2289g 'BackPacker' Pistol/Rifle
PostPosted: Thu Nov 24, 2011 12:36 pm

Okay, since this question has been bothering me I called the CFC and was put through to their so-called "verifier" section. After looking it up the gentleman there said that if the .22 cal 2289G strayed over 500 fps then it is classed as a restricted weapon. I asked specifically if that meant it was in the FRT as a handgun and he replied yes. FWIW, I can't believe it is actually listed in the FRT period as it is normally classed as a non-firearm. Doesn't the FRT list only firearms ? But, even if he was not entirely correct (never can tell how proficient some of them are interpreting the regulations, etc.) then it would make sense that there is a better than even chance that one would be in possession of a restricted handgun if the gun strayed over 500 fps with normal weight pellets. The fact that he was not immediately familiar with the model but was able to reference it quickly as a pistol weighs heavily in favour of the 2289 actually being designated as a pistol by the powers that be.

Quote:
Post subject: When is a 22XX not PAL rated?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:53 am

I have been asked by a Mod to comment on this because I personally went through this many years ago, when the Registration for Non-Restricted Firearms was still in place.... I had a few project guns that I wished to register, so contacted the CFC, and they requested photos and specifications, which I provided.... Two were based on 2250s, and two on 2289s.... All used the Crosman "skeleton" Carbine stock, and barrels from 14.5 - 24" long.... All four were initially denied registration unless I had an R-PAL (I didn't, only a PAL) but the negotiations went on for about a year while they did their research.... Arguments on my side on the 2250s were that Crosman was selling them in a 18" barreled Carbine version as a rifle, and that the 2289 was, of course a Carbine, and that all of them met the 26" minimum overall length....

Eventually the answer I got was that in all cases, the rule was "once a pistol, always a pistol", and the 2250 was originally a pistol, and described as such by Crosman, and the 2289 was a Carbine version of the 1377, and came with handgrips, so it was also considered a pistol.... I was told that they were not a problem if they remained under 500 fps, but above that I would need my RPAL.... I did different things with different ones.... One of the 2250s I modded below 500 fps, on CO2, so it was non-PAL.... The other I replaced the tube with one from a 2260 (a rifle) and a 14.5" barrel, and it became my PCP Grouse Gun.... The two pumpers got tubes from a 2100/2200, which was a rifle.... One became by Uber-Pumper (.177 with a 24" barrel), the other my Uber-Carbine (.22 with a 14.5" barrel), and all three of those were subsequently registered....

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 8:57 am 

Hondaromper wrote:

You have a 2289, that's good and why not let your little girl practice with the 2289? I think the 2289 will be more accurate than the 1377 with the M4 barrel as the M4 is not designed for accurate shooting at all, so I doubt the barrel quality vs other crosman barrels. Although Crosman is not famous about good barrels, but the BB/pellet two purpose barrels would be worse, I think... And the 2289 is a very accurate gun indeed~

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:41 am 

I was more intrigued to build up the .177 purely for economical purposes, use some parts i already have to make a cheap pump gun that shoots cheap ammo. All my other .177 are break barrels and are still a bit too large for her to shoot yet. And as far as i can tell the barrel is of the same quality as any of my other crosman barrels, so i dont see it compromising accuracy.. Plus If I let her use the 2289, what am I gonna shoot with her? Did I mention I love to tinker too? hehe

I must have read some conflicting info in regards to the 2289 then. My understanding was that crosman sold the 2289 as a carbine, and that it wouldn't require an RPAL to be able to modify it to shoot over 500fps

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:45 am 

Hondaromper wrote:

I must have read some conflicting info in regards to the 2289 then. My understanding was that crosman sold the 2289 as a carbine, and that it wouldn't require an RPAL to be able to modify it to shoot over 500fps

That's the argument people try and use, That Crosman advertises it as a carbine ( so they must be right ) But the RCMP and the FRT ( Firearm Reference Table ) has it as a pistol. And it's not just requiring just a RPAL. It would require A RPAL, register it, and approved range only use, no backyard.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:06 am 

Fair enough! I definitely don't need to be getting Into any pissing matches with the authorities!!

Thanks for the insights people!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:09 pm 

I put an M-4 177 bbl on a modern 760 a few years ago. That bbl will out-shoot just about everything I have here except for the L/W.
These bbls are quite well rifled, with good crowns. That 760 is one of most accurate rifles I have, and it doesn't take match pellets to get fine accuracy.

To get that bbl on a 13-77 will require work on the bolt.

-D.S.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:20 pm 

That's good to know!!

As I heard too many bads about the barrels on the Crosman and other US, Chinese low price air guns, and was told you had better check the barrel first when you open the box....

P3+2x20 Kit Scope
HW40+Extender