Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 4:57 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:29 pm 

I tried calking my Ruger Airhawk today after it sat since last summer. I couldn't get the spring to catch after about 6 tries so pulled it apart and found my spring sleeve dented from contact with the calking lever. The sleeve was dented enough that the spring was pinched inside the sleeve and took some force to remove. It is a sub 500 model. I can order a new sleeve except this is the second sleeve this rifle has smashed within a half tin of pellets. Probably not worth the $40 bucks I spent on replacing the sleeve last summer. What do you think?
Is it worth cutting the sleeve off where it is dented or should I try to reshape it so it wont pinch again? Or is this a bad idea and wont work? Anyone else have this issue. Until I understand the cause I am very reluctant to order parts again? It worked fine for 100 rounds after my last repair.
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
thanks in advance

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:42 pm 

can you post a pic

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 10:38 pm 

Ace wrote:
can you post a pic

Not sure how to do that?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:23 pm 

you know how to send it in an email ?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 12:47 am 

I know what you mean. Same thing happened with me before when i had an airhawk. If i understand it correctly the issue is from cocking the rifle without the stock screws in place. The cocking linkage in these rifles rely on a secure stock to work without molesting other parts of the rifle. What i initially tried doing was cutting a beer can into one long 3.5-4inch wide flat stock of metal, spiraled it into a coil and dry fitted it into the compression tube with the spring so it gave you a dimension to work with. Pull it out and cut off the length accordingly so it leaves you a tight cylindrical piece immitating the sleeves dimensions. At the top you need to make a series of triangulat cuts to fabricate the dimensions of the top of the sleeve.

https://youtu.be/q4H3THAzhrA

If the spring twang is still there, try using the flat stock off a 2 litre bottle.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:53 am 

Ace wrote:
you know how to send it in an email ?

that I can manage

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:06 am 

Hi Tango,

I had this very problem on my Umarex Surge ang Ruger Blackhawk (both under-500), which are mechanical copies of your Airhawk. I removed the sleeves, tried the rifles and all was good, no twang and no other issues whatsoever. If you feel the need for it, as TropicalMonkey mentionned you can make another sleeve, preferably out of plastic, but it's not mandatory for the gun to work well. If you have Moly paste, lightly lube the spring and inside wall of the piston, it'll help. :)

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:16 am 

TropicalMonkey wrote:
I know what you mean. Same thing happened with me before when i had an airhawk. If i understand it correctly the issue is from cocking the rifle without the stock screws in place. The cocking linkage in these rifles rely on a secure stock to work without molesting other parts of the rifle. What i initially tried doing was cutting a beer can into one long 3.5-4inch wide flat stock of metal, spiraled it into a coil and dry fitted it into the compression tube with the spring so it gave you a dimension to work with. Pull it out and cut off the length accordingly so it leaves you a tight cylindrical piece immitating the sleeves dimensions. At the top you need to make a series of triangulat cuts to fabricate the dimensions of the top of the sleeve.

https://youtu.be/q4H3THAzhrA

If the spring twang is still there, try using the flat stock off a 2 litre bottle.

Thanks for the link, I will check it out.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 9:18 am 

airmec wrote:
Hi Tango,

I had this very problem on my Umarex Surge ang Ruger Blackhawk (both under-500), which are mechanical copies of your Airhawk. I removed the sleeves, tried the rifles and all was good, no twang and no other issues whatsoever. If you feel the need for it, as TropicalMonkey mentionned you can make another sleeve, preferably out of plastic, but it's not mandatory for the gun to work well. If you have Moly paste, lightly lube the spring and inside wall of the piston, it'll help. :)

Thanks for that. I didnt realize it could work without the sleeve. I will reasseble without and try again. If all good will try the beer can mod. The factory sleeve is pretty hard steel, though thin. Hard to imagine light aluminum will do the same job.

thanks to all

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 10:23 am 

Forgot to mention that yes it will work without the piston sleeve, you just might get a lot of spring twang. Yours is sub 500 so maybe it wont twang as bad. Hopefully moly paste is all you need!!

tango wrote:
airmec wrote:
Hi Tango,

Thanks for that. I didnt realize it could work without the sleeve. I will reasseble without and try again. If all good will try the beer can mod. The factory sleeve is pretty hard steel, though thin. Hard to imagine light aluminum will do the same job.

thanks to all

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:26 pm 

I also cocked gun not in the stock. Big dent, sounded and felt like ????, bad. Cut sleeve, not an issue, worked perfectly. 960fps Crosman pointed, 820fps JSB 10.3g

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 8:55 pm 

The cocking shoe normal trajectory deviates into an inward angle pushing all the cocking force into that portion of the piston sleeve leading to that dent. The only thing that corrects that are the stock screws since the linkage pushes off of them

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:47 pm 
Supporting Member 2009

I think many of us have rented the guide by cocking without the stock. For me it was because I wanted to test it before putting it back in the stock.

I was able to fix mine. I removed it, inserted a piece of pipe almost the size of the guide and hit it with a hammer. It removed the dent and works fine now.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:31 pm 

Great information from everyone. Thats why i like hanging out with you guys.
thanks