Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:43 am 

I am pretty devastated to have a brand new air arms rifle break-in under one hour of use. . . The component should be trivial to repair but also you just don't expect something to fail on a new 700$ gun in the first hour of regular use. :cry: Really upsetting, and not impressed with the QC at Air Arms.

I know this piece is the "weakest link" but given that so much of the system depends on it I expect better design in the third iteration of the gun to improve this.

When I closed the underlever the ball bearing and spring popped out and I had to try and find them amongst the hundreds-thousands of pebbles and shell casings in the light rain.

Luckily I managed to find both. (I only found the spring because it landed on the jacket I had laid out) I didn't even know there was a spring at first and thought it was maybe just the ball so I found that first and popped it back in ... only to discover that now it won't come back out and does nothing being in place without the spring.

So the biggest problem is that the breach won't fully close without the underlever locked back in the upright position and it is so well machined/swings freely enough that if you don't have it locked it is heavy enough to pull down opening the breech when the gun is cocked (making it unsafe to shoot with an open breach. ) The 2nd picture shows where the lever hangs naturally after the gun is cocked now. :?

I also purchased the black and orange Tikka soft rifle case from Canadian tire only to have it the zipper on it break THE VERY FIRST TIME I USED IT.
https://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/tikk ... p.html#srp

DON"T BUT THIS!

Then to round out this cacophony of failure the sight mark reflex sight I purchased to use while my I wait for my scope to come doesn't mount correctly to the gun which made it so useless that I couldn't even hit the backstop.... I later took the sight off and was MORE ACCURATE WITHOUT ANY SIGHT AT ALL. :rolleyes:
https://www.amazon.ca/Sightmark-Sure-Re ... 004TDQD8M/

This again shows a firm reminder of why iron sights are or should be on every gun imo... I wouldn't have had any problems on this front and a more satisfying first shooting experience, and something to compare accuracy with later on when scoped.

Today has been BEYOND frustrating!!!

I will try and return the other two items but as for the rifle, I may try and go get some Allen keys and see if I can take it off and fix it myself but honestly given that things are literally falling apart on this beauty already I am tempted to try and go the warranty route. I just don't want to be without a gun AGAIN for another 4 months or something silly.

I am not really sure what to do here... let me know if you have suggestions or have heard of this before.

I should have taken a video and may do that tomorrow.

Last edited by Luna on Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:11 am, edited 6 times in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:53 am 

Just as food for thought here is a comparison of the Mk3 vs the MK2 underlever detent thingy.
Mk3

Then here is the Mk2

I wonder if the MK2 has these issues too or if they are common, or if I just have a lemon Ughhhh :evil:

I just want to shoot my dam air rifle why is there so many hoops!~!

Also when I tried to use the patch kit I kept getting my patches stuck because for whatever reason there is a wider chamber at the end of the barrel (ie more than just the main barrel the pellet travels through (see the attached diagram) and I have no idea what this is for or if it is supposed to be there either. :cry:

Attachments:
tx200 barrel oddity.jpg
tx200 barrel oddity.jpg [ 79.95 KiB | Viewed 552 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:22 am 

Followed your link from the other thread. Ouch... I sympathize.

I have no idea how to fix the detent but don't worry about the hollow at the end of the barrel. The mk3 normally comes with baffles to reduce the noise signature. They're removed to be legal for sale here in Canada.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 1:27 am 

IanV wrote:

I have no idea how to fix the detent but don't worry about the hollow at the end of the barrel. The mk3 normally comes with baffles to reduce the noise signature. They're removed to be legal for sale here in Canada.

Good to know about the barrel at least, it does still make things tricky with patch kits etc!

Seems like it isn't a unheard of problem.
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... c=60257.20

To quote them
Quote:
So the cocking lever is now dangling free and is useless to cock the gun on top of it all. The TX200 is quite literally falling apart in my hands and I'm certainly not abusing it. Definitely need to call Pyramyd Air tomorrow. I have a $600 paper weight on my hands. I can't believe how much confidence I've lost in this gun in just 12 hours. If I had paid $100 for something at Wal Mart I could just chalk that up to, well.....you know, a Wal mart product. I'm sure Pyramyd Air will be great about it but I'm not sure how I feel about even having them fix it. I'm not sure I want to bother with the gun at all anymore. I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they've been so great with everything else and we'll see how she shoots when I get it back in a couple of weeks or something, I'm guessing.

Same problem for me, and very similar feelings.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:29 am 

Sorry to hear about your misfortune with the TX.... if you feel like taking matters to your own hands, go check out airgunspares or John knibbs international and look for a new detent, sucks to have to do it for such a nice, new rifle but sometimes its the fastest way to get it fixed. I had problems with my catch not catching properly, leading to a bent underlever. Bent as in the shape of the amazon smiley. Fired it a couple of times without it on the catch properly, and it made really loud snappy sounds. Ordered a new part and fixed it myself. Sometimes these little mishaps enable you to really get to know the designs and the flaws they come with.

Luna wrote:
IanV wrote:

Good to know about the barrel at least, it does still make things tricky with patch kits etc!

Seems like it isn't a unheard of problem.
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/in ... c=60257.20

To quote them
Quote:
So the cocking lever is now dangling free and is useless to cock the gun on top of it all. The TX200 is quite literally falling apart in my hands and I'm certainly not abusing it. Definitely need to call Pyramyd Air tomorrow. I have a $600 paper weight on my hands. I can't believe how much confidence I've lost in this gun in just 12 hours. If I had paid $100 for something at Wal Mart I could just chalk that up to, well.....you know, a Wal mart product. I'm sure Pyramyd Air will be great about it but I'm not sure how I feel about even having them fix it. I'm not sure I want to bother with the gun at all anymore. I guess I'll give them the benefit of the doubt since they've been so great with everything else and we'll see how she shoots when I get it back in a couple of weeks or something, I'm guessing.

Same problem for me, and very similar feelings.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 am 

Thanks Luna for the heads up. This terrible timing for me as well since I’ve been wanting to buy a hw98 and a few review I’ve read from UK mentioned a quality drop or QC drop over the past year. The EU is in upset due many reasons so of course their products are going to show somehow.

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S
Crosman 760

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:31 am 

Wow , I would send the rifle back. I had the Bam B40 clone of this rifle and never had any issue with the detent. Not to put salt in the wound but have you considered replacing it with an HW77, it comes with sights and everything one could want in an underlever gun . I’m absolutely blown away with the accuracy of the 97.

HW80 .177
HW35 .177
HW30 .177
HW100KTFSB 177
Winchester 257-70
Discovery 257
Airspeed .25
Frankendisco .25
FX ImpactX 22
K550 .22
Windy City .22
Benji 392 steroid
Sears Roebuck 1400 restomod
Daisy 953 .177

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:31 am 

Luna, what a disappointment. I complete feel for you, I would be raging. I’m sure your dealer will help you out.

No matter what you buy there’s always a chance at a lemon. I would also email air arms yourself so they’re aware, I’m sure they’ve had these complaints before, but if it’s not vocalized they don’t know the extent and won’t make changes.

Again that sucks and I’m sorry, I’m not deterred from wanting one though.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:22 am 

Well Luna

I will be following your situation as I’m planning to make a HW purchase and I’m wanting to purchase new from the seller who will back the products.

Smith & Wesson 686
Hatsan AT44MW-10 .177
Daisy 953S
Crosman 760

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:02 pm 

With so many things going wrong for you on that day... I would have been scared to go for a wiz and break something else :axe:

On the plus side, they all seems to have a simple fix. Would things have been any different with a HW? maybe, maybe not.
- At the end of the day, the TX200 is still the gun every other springer are compared to.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:06 pm 

AAs is a small company. Great products but all must pass through a humans hands. Defects can and will happen with any product and the reason for a warranty. You can contact the original vendor or even AA themselves for a solution. I'm sure either will make things right.

I understand your frustration but time will show you that the TX200 is a fantastic rifle.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 12:38 pm 

We all feel your pain, that sucks.
As far as the detent goes, is it possible it just fell apart rather than broke? Meaning that it could be reassembled back to normal working state. It's conceivable that when being modified for Canada without the baffles it didn't get tightened properly and worked loose in use. If it can be reassembled, use blue locktite on the threads.
Chambers sells replacement, but AA or AS should be able to supply the part and save you $30+ quid.
https://www.gunspares.co.uk/products/24 ... r-Carbine/

As far as the barrel goes, The HW97 also has a oversize bore at the muzzle. The actual rifled part of the barrel is way shorter than the whole barrel. Springers develop the maximum pellet speed within about 12" of barrel length so longer rifling doesn't help much. To clean them, simply insert a drinking straw in the muzzle end an feed your cleaning cord through it.

HIH, and happier days ahead! :drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:06 pm 

Did you contact Travis first thing? From my experience, he would have had a that block with spring and bearing on the way to you with one day delivery. All you would have had to do is remove the old one and put the replacement on. He may or may not want the old one back. I would send it back so he could make AA aware of it.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:20 pm 

Well said Tim!

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:32 pm 

First off thanks for the replies and responses everyone! I really appreciate the support as I try and break into all this.

This all happened on a Sunday evening west coast time and have been busy with meeting at work today but I will be trying to action some things shortly.

Again I know I can likely replace just this part and be off to the races, but it's just silly that the entire function of the gun hinges on such a small part... From a design perspective, I am not impressed. I really like the AA company branding etc, and appreciate the resale value and think I got a great stock for what it is. I was shooting the gun with no scope and was shockingly accurate so once I get a zero'ed scope I imagine it would be a tack driver. The shot cycle is also kinda fun.

jckstrthmghty wrote:
AAs is a small company. Great products but all must pass through a humans hands. Defects can and will happen with any product and the reason for a warranty. You can contact the original vendor or even AA themselves for a solution. I'm sure either will make things right.

I understand your frustration but time will show you that the TX200 is a fantastic rifle.

See I see this the other way. Given that there are so many hand checks, and small batch I expect fewer issues not less.

I did Email Air Arms with their contact form thing just to make them aware. I don't know what they will do on their end or how long it will take for them to get back to me.

Hobbyman2007 wrote:
Wow , I would send the rifle back. I had the Bam B40 clone of this rifle and never had any issue with the detent. Not to put salt in the wound but have you considered replacing it with an HW77, it comes with sights and everything one could want in an underlever gun . I’m absolutely blown away with the accuracy of the 97.

Again I would have considered an HW77 but D&L hasn't had one in stock since I started looking. To be honest the biggest frustration is how hard it is to find items in stock from Canadian retailers.

I had been considering a S510 as my first PAL gun... but now I think I am going to look more towards FX and perhaps the Dreamline.

I am also likely going to get a Seneca aspen in .177 once I am legal. I think that gun would be a blast to shoot and multishot too! :D

I am planning to go buy some allen keys and then take the detent off and then see if I can fix it myself since I was lucky enough to find the spring....

HOWEVER The design should have been such that the ball could NEVER come out of that socket... and if it can do it once, it is very likely to do it again.

I would have designed the part to load the ball and spring from the top (ie when not attached to the barrel) then once attached the hole where the ball rests against the under would be SMALLER than the ball so that only a portion of it could poke through.

This isn't rocket science and is pretty unacceptable.

If they can't design past something like this with what is the third iteration of their rifle I have serious doubts about the rest of it no matter how pretty it is.

Unfortunately, there isn't really an available alternative in the same bracket for me. :<

Anyway I am going to call AGS and see what they think. (I missed them today... timezones)

Realistically I expected to need to work on my rifle during it's life. I didn't expect I would have to use aftermarket modifications just to be able to make it perform as it should out of the box.

I also didn't expect to have these kinds of issues in the first hour of ownership.

I have an old crossman 150$ springer that I shot with peep sights and could hit a dime from 50 yards off a fence in .177, and owned it for 9+ years (many thousands of pellets) and NEVER HAD TO DO A THING TO IT!!!!!

I expect at least this level of performance and reliability.

This is being sold as a high-end rifle, and it is unacceptable to have issues like this already. Especially when it is clearly a product of a stupid aspect of the design that creates a huge Achilles heel for the rifle as a whole.