Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Fri Feb 28, 2020 3:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:28 pm 

Thou dost protest too much!

Calling the dealer should have been the first step giving them a fair chance to make it right.
If no satisfaction from your dealer then discuss it with AirArms directly.
Throwing it out onto social media puts your approach in a bad light. Making it harder for folks to help you.
Anyways good luck with the repair. Once the block is off would like to see a photo of how the design holds the ball in place?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:53 pm 

If you do decide to work on it yourself make sure you got some loctite with you, i looked around for spare ones Airgunspares is out of stock and i couldnt find any spares from Pyramyd air either. I sent you a PM to offer you some help but you dont seem to be interested in replying. Wish ya luck

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:07 pm 

Luna wrote:
Again I know I can likely replace just this part and be off to the races, but it's just silly that the entire function of the gun hinges on such a small part... From a design perspective, I am not impressed. I really like the AA company branding etc, and appreciate the resale value and think I got a great stock for what it is. I was shooting the gun with no scope and was shockingly accurate so once I get a zero'ed scope I imagine it would be a tack driver. The shot cycle is also kinda fun.

This is being sold as a high-end rifle, and it is unacceptable to have issues like this already. Especially when it is clearly a product of a stupid aspect of the design that creates a huge Achilles heel for the rifle as a whole.

I really do not know of any guns where the function does not rely on a number of very small parts.

The ball and spring popped out. You, unwittingly, shoved the ball back in before you knew the spring should go behind it. This is a pretty small thing and if there are only a couple of cases where it has happened on the thousands of TX rifles being produced for 25 years or so, they're doing OK. To call into question a whole company based on such a small issue is maybe a tiny bit over the top.

Hope you get it fixed quickly and get to shooting; that will put the smile back on your face. :)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:51 pm 

Voltar1 wrote:
Thou dost protest too much!

Calling the dealer should have been the first step giving them a fair chance to make it right.
If no satisfaction from your dealer then discuss it with AirArms directly.
Throwing it out onto social media puts your approach in a bad light. Making it harder for folks to help you.
Anyways good luck with the repair. Once the block is off would like to see a photo of how the design holds the ball in place?

I haven't gone to social media. I am on the air gun forum. I tried to call the dealer but timelines didn't line up. Others had suggested that I contact AA so that they can be aware of the problem and hopefully make improvements to the design going forward (which I agree with and as a designer know how important feedback is)

I will be talking with AGS as soon as I can get in touch with them.

I will take photos of the block once removed for sure.

Mac wrote:

I really do not know of any guns where the function does not rely on a number of very small parts.

The ball and spring popped out. You, unwittingly, shoved the ball back in before you knew the spring should go behind it. This is a pretty small thing and if there are only a couple of cases where it has happened on the thousands of TX rifles being produced for 25 years or so, they're doing OK. To call into question a whole company based on such a small issue is maybe a tiny bit over the top.

Hope you get it fixed quickly and get to shooting; that will put the smile back on your face. :)

The point is simply that it would be VERY easy to have designed the piece so that it would be impossible for the ball to be able to come out without removing the block assembly from the rifle. (Note: I also didn't try and adjust anything on the gun before use so it should have all been stock or adjusted by dealer)

I don't doubt their track record. From one designer to another, I am fairly citing a design flaw and providing feedback.

Given that the block has changed with the introduction of the MK3 it was, therefore, part of an intentional redesign and something as simple as "will this piece be able to be pushed out through the hole it rests in" is something very easy to test for before going to production...

I agree though. One way or another I will get this sorted and I expect to find I am quite happy with the rifle. I am a resourceful individual and more than capable of fixing things if they can be fixed. To which I will simply cite my cheap crossman rifle's track record again.

Anyway. I will keep you all posted and see about pickup up an Allen key tonight for the assembly.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:53 pm 

So what scope/rings have you got coming?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:50 pm 

sillymike wrote:
So what scope/rings have you got coming?

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07HRM5T1G/
It's a bug buster 3-12X32, I ordered the side wheel for it too, even if I think it looks a bit nerdy haha

I am really hoping the stock rings with it will actually fit. After the issues with the sightmark dovetails not working correctly I am pretty spooked. (it was really hard to find a scope with dovetail rings included, and I wanted a bug buster anyway so just crossing my fingers on this one)

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:53 am 

I dunno, but after a few choice epithets I would have rolled up an elastic band onto the barrel to get firing again. Roll it forward onto the detent holder to pull the lever down and roll it back under the lever to hold it up. Maybe you could have used a thin scrunchie. (Apologies if that last comment was sexist... :wink: )

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 3:25 pm 

Luna wrote:

DON"T BUT THIS!

Then to round out this cacophony of failure the sight mark reflex sight I purchased to use while my I wait for my scope to come doesn't mount correctly to the gun which made it so useless that I couldn't even hit the backstop.... I later took the sight off and was MORE ACCURATE WITHOUT ANY SIGHT AT ALL. :rolleyes:
https://www.amazon.ca/Sightmark-Sure-Re ... 004TDQD8M/

That shows a weaver mount.

On the sight, did you try and flip over the clamping plate? There is 3/8", and 11mm dovetails. Sometimes scope rings/mounts, are designed for both, if you flip over the plate, it may fit better. I just got a dovetail adapter in today, as it sat out of the box. It clamped on a angle a little bit. I flipped the plate around and it sat more square. Just a thought.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:30 pm 

Looking at that pic it doesn't look like it's a flip over version, but the pic is not always accurate.

I see the ad on Amazon and it says dovetail but all the pics are weaver. Kind of strange

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:40 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
Looking at that pic it doesn't look like it's a flip over version, but the pic is not always accurate.

You don't know till you try.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:54 pm 

leadslinger wrote:

On the sight, did you try and flip over the clamping plate? There is 3/8", and 11mm dovetails. Sometimes scope rings/mounts, are designed for both, if you flip over the plate, it may fit better. I just got a dovetail adapter in today, as it sat out of the box. It clamped on a angle a little bit. I flipped the plate around and it sat more square. Just a thought.

This is a really interesting point! I will try and flip it around next time I am out to see if it fits better! I am surprised I didn't see anything about that in the manual. I can take some pictures later too.

I think it has more to do with the top of the gun being round not flat where the mount point is and instead of having two variable size clamps one side is fixed and the other clamps which mean it tilts to one side.

wesb2007 wrote:
...I see the ad on Amazon and it says dovetail but all the pics are weaver. Kind of strange

Kind of strange = Story of my life.

_--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got in touch with Travis today and he had a replacement part for the ball detent in the mail before the end of the day. (That is attached image.) Looks like it should be here next Wednesday.

He had said "That's a new one! I have never heard of that part failing before" so for those in the market, I guess there's that?

lleader wrote:
I dunno, but after a few choice epithets I would have rolled up an elastic band onto the barrel to get firing again. Roll it forward onto the detent holder to pull the lever down and roll it back under the lever to hold it up. Maybe you could have used a thin scrunchie. (Apologies if that last comment was sexist... :wink: )

Given that it would mean shooting with the breech only partially closed and only an elastic band for my safety... I will take a pass on that. The scrunchie bit is a kinda whatever.... I had hair elastics again... Would you trust your health to something like if it were you?

Also it's a single shot rifle so it would mean rigging it up in between every shot which at that point...

Anyway, I hope to go get an allen key tonight and see what I can do on my end.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:14 pm 

Luna wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

This is a really interesting point! I will try and flip it around next time I am out to see if it fits better! I am surprised I didn't see anything about that in the manual. I can take some pictures later too.

I think it has more to do with the top of the gun being round not flat where the mount point is and instead of having two variable size clamps one side is fixed and the other clamps which mean it tilts to one side.

wesb2007 wrote:
...I see the ad on Amazon and it says dovetail but all the pics are weaver. Kind of strange

Kind of strange = Story of my life.

_--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I got in touch with Travis today and he had a replacement part for the ball detent in the mail before the end of the day. (That is attached image.) Looks like it should be here next Wednesday.

He had said "That's a new one! I have never heard of that part failing before" so for those in the market, I guess there's that?

lleader wrote:

Given that it would mean shooting with the breech only partially closed and only an elastic band for my safety... I will take a pass on that. The scrunchie bit is a kinda whatever.... I had hair elastics again... Would you trust your health to something like if it were you?

Also it's a single shot rifle so it would mean rigging it up in between every shot which at that point...

Anyway, I hope to go get an allen key tonight and see what I can do on my end.

Tilt to the side? Same issue my mount had. I just removed the bolts, took the clamping plate and flipped it upside down. I to have a Flat mount on a curved reciever. Still sits straight.

Heard this tip on GTA. Only time it doesnt work if the holes are not centered.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 4:34 am 

I got the Allen keys tonight.

Unfortunately, there is no access behind the ball bearing. So despite that, it came out the once, I am not sure how to get it out again. It also shows that the hole would have to have been large enough to press it in from the outside because it wasn't assembled from the other end. (which would have made sense)

This first hole that goes all the way through is where the main long hex screw connects to the gun. The 2nd indent you will see is where a peg (fused to the barrel) comes out to keep the housing from sliding with 2 points of stability.

It is also curved to match the underside of the barrel.

And for the bottom of the sight, there is only one way to mount it and it does seem to be different from the product image.

I tried knocking the ball back out again but no dice.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2020 7:45 am 

Never seen a clamping mount that long before, normally they are 1/2 to 3/4 the length of that. Why I'm weary when buying something and picture shows one thing and description another.

Also be weary that trying to make any authorized repairs may void the warranty. I'm thinking that either the detent ball is undersized, or they drilled the hole slightly too big. But more leaning towards the ball bearing, which is something they probably get from another source.

Just roll the ball around until it does, does the hole for the peg extend in? then get some weed wacker line or something you can feed in and push on the back side.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2020 2:43 am 

leadslinger wrote:
Just roll the ball around until it does, does the hole for the peg extend in? then get some weed wacker line or something you can feed in and push on the back side.

yeah sadly no that's part of the issue. There is no other internal access. I can't poke the ball back out.