Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 6:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Re: Hatsan Shipment
PostPosted: Mon Feb 17, 2020 1:43 pm 

Hawk-I wrote:
This is plain outrageous to impose a storage fee because of inefficient bureaucracy.
Can't these imposed fees /charges be contested legally ? Could an MP be informed as suggested by Edmonton 500 of the situation and appeal to the House of Commons to request the policy be amended to accomodate businesses and not penalize canadian economy ?
Imagine this going on with medical supplies or other time sensitive materials. Crazy!

Hawk-i

I tried calling them all weekend but no one returned the call. I finally was able to get hold of an officer this morning. I was told there is no Estimated time of completion for inspection to complete as they are short staffed. I told him about the storage charges of the warehouse and how it will eat up all my profit by mid week. He felt sorry and said nothing he can do about this.

So, I went ahead and put an official complaint in. I will also send a copy of the letter to my MP. I asked them to tell me how will they explain a business paying for additional days of storage due to their "short staffing" issue.

We will see.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 4:01 pm 

Thanks for doing that Raman, I hope something good comes of it. I hope your shipment finally clears today.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:56 pm 

Nope. $1508 in storage charges till now and still counting.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2020 11:14 pm 

That is totally unacceptable. Sorry to hear that.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 3:54 pm 

Released finally!! Next steps are to contact my MP. Already asked cbsa to send an explanation for the delay.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:38 pm 

canadashootingsupply wrote:
Released finally!! Next steps are to contact my MP. Already asked cbsa to send an explanation for the delay.

Hope they reimburse you as well. Being short staffed and dealing with backlogs shouldnt affect local businesses by these things especially to this extent. Hope the rest of the shipment is groovy.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

Last edited by TropicalMonkey on Thu Feb 20, 2020 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:54 pm 

Glad to hear it! Though that is a terrible bill. I hope you get a refund as well.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:59 am 

WHOOHOO! Looking forward to my ordered Hatsan MOD 95 in .177!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 12:06 am 

Thanks for the support!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2020 11:31 am 

WOWEE! What a gun! Arrived safely this morning. Smooth shooting and does not hurt my shoulder. Was not expecting a Vortex Gas piston which is a plus. Thirty feet shooting into a quarter size dot on first 10 shots with Grizzly 8.6 pellets out of the box. Sold my full power airhawk last summer because it could not hit in a tennis ball size dot at 30 feet. Could only shoot about 6 or 7 shots then my shoulder was numb. This Hatsan MOD 95 in 177 is going to be a fun gun to take out to gun range when weather warms up. Thank you as it is a gun I have wanted since I sold my full power Airhawk. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2020 6:57 pm 

pics or it did not happen.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:03 pm 

CBSA Officer called me yesterday to discuss my complaint.

He was apologetic however, he told me to expect similar things going forward as there have been changes to their policies as per "directives from government" when it comes to firearms imports. He said there is nothing much that they can do in this and he feels the pain of running a small business and having to deal with these type of expenses. He refused to give me a response about "govt directive" in writing.

I was also told that i was "unlucky" due to family day holiday in Ontario as it delayed the inspection. But the delay was not their fault as they do not inspect on weekends and holidays. i was told to arrange my import shipments in a way that they arrive on Mondays or Tuesdays so that they get enough of a chance during the week to be inspected. Also, he told me to avoid imports during long weekends or holidays.

I was told that delays are expected going forward as all shipments with "guns" now need paper submission to CBSA. Electronic submission will not be accepted and will delay clearance further. They have already made all brokerages aware of this change.

Also, if we import something that does not have a FRT associated, there will be further delays.

He was on the phone with me for more than 15 mins. I raised my concerns about how silly their inspection process is as their officers didn't bother to inspect the boxes with the guns in them but rather opened boxes of scopes and parts. How strange is that.

Also, CBSA doesn't re-reimburse anyone and they do not have any standard Service Level Agreements that contains or states their standard timelines to do a certain task e.g. "inspection". I find this very strange. So this is a government department without any regulations that can hold them accountable for any delays.

Anyway, I told him that I expect a written reply but was told they do not do that. At this point, I made him aware that my MP also has a letter from me about this matter and I will tell his office to make sure a written response is sent by CBSA.

Well, tell me what you guys think.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 8:29 pm 

I feel sick for you and Airgunsource. I also have deep concerns for the whole industry.
None of the dealers are big enough to absorb such "unlucky" circumstances, I know I'm sure not.
That the government is behind it isn't too surprising but it sure is concerning, along with the fact CBSA is basically all powerful with no accountability. This is a nightmare for business in general and for anything politically frowned on by the government in particular.
Really crazy. I'm really sorry for the situation they've put you in Raman, and I'm afraid I may be next.
I think it's time for all of us to call our MP and start making some noise about this. A petition to the government is another option.
I'm all ears for suggestions as well.
Regards,
Wes

PostPosted: Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:11 pm 

Sounds like an intentional squeeze-play by the government to discourage the legal import of firearms.... Most small businesses will not be able to recoups hundreds/thousands of dollars from CBSA delays, so they will eventually give up and the guns will disappear from the shelves.... Without ever passing a law, the government will have succeeded in limiting the supply of firearms to Canadians who could legally own them....

It's a sad day for Canada.... :evil:

Bob

Proud Member of the 2000+fps Club!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:03 am 

canadashootingsupply wrote:
CBSA Officer called me yesterday to discuss my complaint.

Anyway, I told him that I expect a written reply but was told they do not do that. At this point, I made him aware that my MP also has a letter from me about this matter and I will tell his office to make sure a written response is sent by CBSA.

Well, tell me what you guys think.

Sadly, I think that the current regime is anti-gun to the extent that you may have to lay low until we oust the clowns and re-elect the jokers. One thing that has become clear to me in my old age: "freedom" exists only on paper; and that is deeply profound.

Duke ))))----//----------==