Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:45 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: New to Air Pistols
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:14 am 

Greetings all, I just purchased my first air pistol, and have been having a blast with it. it's a Sig Sauer P226 .177 CO2. A very, very well constructed all-metal construction, apparently built in-house by Sig and is nearly an exact copy of the real version of the pistol.

I may have just fibbed - this is technically my second air pistol - my first was as a teen back in the '90s. That was a plastic/composite Crossman BB repeater. I have no idea the model, but as fun as it was, I was never a big fan of it, even at the time. It had an extremely heavy trigger and wasn't particularly well constructed. However, it did inform me of what to look for in this gun. In particular, I wanted something that would give the option of a one or two-stage trigger that would have a smooth pull

Back to the P226. Overall, love nearly every part of it, and the only thing I would change is I wish it had adjustable sights. The good news is the windage is spot on, but I have to shoot with a relatively fat front sight. If I had my druthers, I would like to adjust it to shoot higher. That said, I can easily live with it.

I have set up a 10-yard range in my basement, and I have put a few hundred rounds through it in the last couple of days. It shoots quite well, and I think any inconsistencies can the blamed on the shooter rather than the gun. I'm firing Crossman Premium Wadcutters 7.9gr. They're decent, though I have some 7gr Meisterkugeln on order. I find the Crossman pellets have a lot of lead dust on them. I'm sure they're fine, but it's not a big cost increase to move up to then Meisterkugeln.

As with any new hobby, the question always is, "What next?" I'm enjoying the P226, but I'm looking around and other target oriented pistols to help round things out. What has my eye now are PCP target guns, but those get very pricy, very quickly. There's a Diana Bandit that seems the most reasonable, but the pumps to fill them are more expensive than the gun itself. I'm going to do a lot of reading between now and then for my next purchase won't be for quite a few months. Looking forward to learning more, and improving my skills!

Post subject: Re: New to Air Pistols
PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:30 am 

Welcome to the forum, My advise it to get the pump right away as it will give you the convenient and flexibility of having an air source, you wont regret it as this pays for itself, Airgun Archery has them for a reasonable price. The Bandit is a good startup platform, machining tolerance is good. parts availability is good too.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2020 12:48 pm 

Thanks for the reply! I especially you passing along the Airgun Archery link. They have a bit better variety than the site I was previously browsing, and the prices are a bit better too. They have the Victor PCP Match Target Pistol, which is only a bit more expensive then the Bandit, and seems like a lot more gun for the money. Gonna start saving!

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 10:21 pm 

Hey Wren
I just picked up a 226 on Thursday I can,t believe the weight so far so good I'm using RWS Diabolo Basic 7.0gr They're ok But i haven't bought any other to compare them to What about you

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2020 11:02 pm 

Welcome to the party! And glad to see you are just jumping quickly forward on the route and start thinking about something more serious in the sport~ Just have fun~ :drinkers:

HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit