Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:47 am 

Just picked up a Umarex legends MP40 this past weekend in London. Ontario, Canada. I would also like to ask a few questions about this gun. What’s the best BB's to use in it? Are the Anodized steel BB's like Hornady Black Diamond better than the normal shiny steel BB’s? And also where can I get a leather sling strap for it. I see Amazon has a bunch for the MP40 but a lot of the reviews say their either too short or it does not fit worth a darn. Does anyone here have the Umarex Weathered Special Edition MP40 that comes with the strap that could give me the measurements of the strap so I can find one that will fit properly. I would greatly appreciate it. Going to make that tool today from coat hanger wire to hold the mag spring open to load BB's more easy. Damn good idea. The clip is a bit of a pain loading and holding the spring down with your thumb. The coat hanger wire tool will make it much easier indeed.Any other tips and fixes I should know about,please post them.Thanks......

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:53 pm 

I have the Legends MP40 weathered edition with the leather sling strap. I will try to measure the strap for you & get you the dimensions.

Might want to see if Umarex USA has any spare slings to sell, or try searching for a MP40 sling on eBay.

I bought a sling & oiler for my M1 Carbine BB rifle from this guy. Other than color, looks similar to one that came with my MP40.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/WWII-GERMAN-MP ... SwdA9aox4m

Not bad to deal with, but communication was not the fastest, and shipping to Canada was a bit high.

Regarding BB's, I strongly recommend you ONLY use the Black Diamond BBs. That's all I have used, and never had a jam. Also, instead of the wire hanger trick, just get a Umarex Steel BB speedloader. I can load the magazine with the speedloader in one hand and hold the spring open with the thumb on my other hand with no problem. I can load the 52 BB's into the mag. in a couple of seconds. The speedloader has never jammed on me with Black Diamond BBs.

Also put a drop of pellgun oil on the tip of both CO2's and tighten down until you hear both pierce. I only use Umarex CO2 in Umarex airguns. And make sure you load the magazine the right way. Inserting it backwards can harm the magazine.

That is how I use my MP40 and have never had a problem. Nice BB gun. The full metal give it a nice realistic weight. Great accuracy for a smooth barrel bb shooter (@ 25 ft.). Nice kick to the blowback. And full auto...can't say more. It's tough to put down. Just make sure you stock up on CO2 & BB's, as you will go thru a lot in no time at all.

Fairly loud in full auto, so be careful if using in your back yard, if you live close to neighbours.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:48 pm 

Thanks for the info BB1Shooter.Where do you buy your Black Diamond BBs from in Winnipeg.I am not sure where to get the speed loader either.I doubt it Crappy Tire would have these two things.Did you buy them online or from a local gun shop near you.Also,what makes these Black Diamond BB's better than say the Umarex Silver colored steel ones.Damn,I got 2 bottles 3000 rounds of these when I bought the MP40.It was either the Umarex Silver Steel BB's or Crosman Copperhead BBs so I stuck with the Umarex silver steel.It was the only two Brands they carried.So Black Diamond BBs are the Best of the Best?Are they the same weight,or is it the anodized coating that makes them fire better?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 12:21 pm 

I think it is the coating that makes the Black Diamond BB's jam free in full auto BB guns, but that's just a guess (based on what Umarex says about the product). Maybe others can give you a more technical answer. All I know is that they are said to be smother, more uniform, and higher quality than other BB's.

I heard reviewers of the MP40 say that jamming was originally a big issue, esp. with the first version of the magazine in 60 shot capacity. But the reviews also said that the Black Diamonds worked the best, and were mostly jam free, so I used them in my MP40 & other full auto BB guns (i.e. Crosman DPMS, Beretta 92A1). Also, Umarex changed to a 52 shot magazine to help solve the jamming issue.

I get the Black Diamond BB's at various places. My local Cabela's sells them. You can also find them online at Airguns Source in Ontario, and the big guys (Amazon & Walmart.ca). I find Airgun Source usually has the best price.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:04 pm 

Just ordered some Black Diamonds and a Umarex Universal Steel BB Speed Loader from Airgun Source.Shipment is on the way e-mail already..These guys are fast in getting orders out..Good Stuff!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 1:12 pm 

I would be nice if I could find come kind of Carrying case thing to put the MP40 into instead of the cardboard box it came in.For the ammo CO2 and clips I am using a small/med sized cooler bag and everything fits in there nicely.Now I need something for the gun for transport when I go to my brothers farm from the city to shoot with my nephew instead of a cardboard box.Any Ideas on what to use?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:33 pm 

I use this Paintball gun case for my MP40. It fits the airgun plus spare magazines, and lots of other stuff perfectly. I remove the mag. before I put it in the bag.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Allen-Extreme- ... 1#viTabs_0

I got mine at Princess Auto, but they may be sold out. Check with your local store. The SKU on it was 8730855.

Niki, PM me if you can't find it at PA. I might know were to get one.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:09 am 

Did some shooting yesterday with my MP-40 and damn is this gun accurate. Even from a distance. I was very disappointed with the Umarex Universal Steel BB Speed Loader I got from Airgun Source with the Black Diamond BB's though. The Plastic Plunger Thumb Clicker on top on the Speed Load Snapped Off clean about Mid way down after only loading about 8 Clips with the darn think. Is this a common thing that happens with this speed loader. Would it be fixable with a good super glue you think or is it finished? Any thoughts!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:49 pm 

I think the reason that these speedloaders are around $12 each is because they are a consumable item.

I have gone thru a number of them over the years. Usually go thru two or so a years, other than the one I only use Black Diamond BB's in. Though, I have been getting better wear out of them once I started spraying silicone into them when they start to jam at the exit hole, as I read on the internet (maybe this forum).

You can try to glue it back together, but will probably only last until it jams again. Although, I have never broken the plunger. Usually they just jam, or quit loading BB's from the reservoir into the loading tube.

So better order a couple of them next time. I try to have one or two spares around. I buy them if I see them on sale or add them to an order, if I am out.

Tell Travis, he might have more suggestions.

I find that they work best if you don't fill them completely full with BB's & don't completely empty it before refilling.

Good luck & please advise it you had any luck fixing it. I have not been overly successful in this area. Maybe fixed one in three, that I took apart.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 5:53 pm 

Other than the speedloader issue, I'm glad you enjoy the MP40.

It's a great airgun, if you into that sort of thing.

Maybe start saving up for the Legends M1A1 full auto BB gun, replica of the legendary Thompson.

I have one, just as much fun and as accurate as the MP40. But different, as has full (fake) wood stock, not foldable stock.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 9:20 am 

Yep..That's my plan..The Thompson M1A1 will be the next one I will add to my collection in the very near future for sure..Next time I order more Black Diamond BB's I will get 2 more Umarex Universal Steel BB Speed Loaders and when the one I had the thumb plunger broke half way down from the thumb piece I did have it absolutely full to the top of BB's in the reservoir,could not put even one more BB in it.Do you think that's why it jammed loading up a clip on the 3rd thumb push and broke? I just had the darn thing full will too many BB's...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 10:27 am 

I think you answered your own question.

Or at least that has been my experience with this speedloader.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 2:37 pm 

Right On..I will try a dab of super glue on the broken one for a quick fix for the hell of it and order a couple more.This time I will make sure it is only a little over half full so I do not snap the long plastic stick under the thumb plunger again in the future..Thanks for the tips...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:23 pm 

I find you can fill it to (and slightly over) 3/4 without any issues.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 8:49 pm 

Roger that..A Tad over 3/4...I shall remember..