Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 2:22 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: M11 vs Chief 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:14 pm 

Looking for a new high power air rifle and leaning towards going pcp over Springer. If I go pcp the above mentioned are the two I'm looking at.

I will be using them for hunting, pesting and plinking. I don't have a pump or compressor currently. Probably looking at buying used tanks eventually, have some paintball shops not far away. I may get a cheap hand pump to get me started.

I know the Chief is unregulated but is there anything else Im missing to justify the higher costs of an m11? How far can the power be turned down on each.

Scott

Post subject: Re: M11 vs Chief 2
PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 5:59 pm 

Maverick wrote:
Looking for a new high power air rifle and leaning towards going pcp over Springer. If I go pcp the above mentioned are the two I'm looking at.

I will be using them for hunting, pesting and plinking. I don't have a pump or compressor currently. Probably looking at buying used tanks eventually, have some paintball shops not far away. I may get a cheap hand pump to get me started.

I know the Chief is unregulated but is there anything else Im missing to justify the higher costs of an m11? How far can the power be turned down on each.

Scott

I too had that dilemma prior to purchasing the M11. I listed the pros and cons between the two. I picked the M11 due to the fact that a little bit more money gives you a regulated air rifle, with a power adjuster and amazing shot number in .25 cal. All for an amazing price. You would normally have to spend double or more to get all those feautures in one package. You wont regret buying the M11.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788
Diana AM03 "Stealth" .177 Diana ZR Mount

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 6:50 pm 

Tropical Monkey has hit the nail on it's head. I'm quite impressed with mine in .25 cal.
Was going to shoot it today with bullets and pellets to 50yards, but with the cold wind,
decided to let it warm up some more - maybe later in the week.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 06, 2020 10:58 pm 

Maverick, as far as power levels I have tinkered with the hammer spring and valve spring tension adjustment. With the hammer spring set with nearly no tension, and valve screw closed shut, the m11 was shooting 20 grain H&N's at 567 FPS so thats 14 some odd foot pounds. I got as high as 59.33 FPE with 36.2 NSA slugs the other day when i was tinkering. This gun is versatile.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:18 am 

I have both the Chief and a M11. The M11 is more capable of higher power then the Chief and has higher shot count. If hand pumping, the Chief shines as being much more hand pump friendly. I did hand pump the M11 for a few months and wasn't bad if pumping from 2000 - 3500, but from empty :shock: not so friendly! I like and shoot both daily.

Gamo Magnum .22 (sweet rifle!)
Beeman QB Chief .22
Beeman P17
Umerex Colt Commander blowback
Artemis M11 MK2 .22 (a new favourite)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:29 am 

It seems the M11 is clearly a favourite. Is there any barrel droop? It seems like people are adding and extra band upfront.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 9:46 am 

Maverick wrote:
It seems the M11 is clearly a favourite. Is there any barrel droop? It seems like people are adding and extra band upfront.

No barrel droop. I added a forward band cause im clumsy and was thinking ahead lol.

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 12:50 pm 

I put one on, just because - no real reason and I didn't inlet it into the stock's forend - it just sits in front.

Attachments:
IMG_2842.JPG
IMG_2842.JPG [ 134.86 KiB | Viewed 317 times ]

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 2:46 pm 

Thanks everyone for their input. My wife is going to be mad at me again..lol

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 3:39 pm 

5dotrz wrote:
I have both the Chief and a M11. The M11 is more capable of higher power then the Chief and has higher shot count. If hand pumping, the Chief shines as being much more hand pump friendly. I did hand pump the M11 for a few months and wasn't bad if pumping from 2000 - 3500, but from empty :shock: not so friendly! I like and shoot both daily.

Ive had a QB Chief 2 for a few weeks but a cold winter and a huge snow year has been keeping me from getting out to play. I have mounted a 3x9x40 scope and a sling so far. Pretty sure it will be my favorite grouse gun soon. I can attest to its hand pump friendliness though. 2000 psi is easily reached and gives one a hint of how hard the next 1000 will be. As far as construction its nice, though heavy. Bolt is sloppy but works. I believe an aftermarket regulator is available now. Installed it will likely be the same total cost as the M-11 with extra barrel band.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:17 pm 

The extra barrel band was only $10.00. I will experiment with it's
placement to see if it changes the harmonics & thus the accuracy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 5:45 pm 

I bought a few regulators for the Chief but when I tried it out I was sadly disappointed in the shot count. Should have known with such a low fill pressure! Oh well! I took the option to buy with regulator off. The M11 truly is an amazing buy in my opinion, but I'm a bit biased 8)
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 6:19 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
I bought a few regulators for the Chief but when I tried it out I was sadly disappointed in the shot count. Should have known with such a low fill pressure! Oh well! I took the option to buy with regulator off. The M11 truly is an amazing buy in my opinion, but I'm a bit biased 8)
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

Thanks Wes. This is good to know. It would have been my first choice to go with one your regulated Stormriders if I was considering buying a compressor in the future. As I am convinced I will always be using a hand pump Im sure my non regulated Chief will keep my happy.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:00 pm 

I have read the threads on here and a couple other forums and the numbers and fpe these are putting out are incredible. I was leaning towards .22 ( I have lot of pellets) but I'm second guessing myself and thinking .25 now, looks like everyone has the .25 on here. Any additional thoughts on calibre? .22 are usually more available and cheaper IMO.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:19 pm 

Maverick wrote:
I have read the threads on here and a couple other forums and the numbers and fpe these are putting out are incredible. I was leaning towards .22 ( I have lot of pellets) but I'm second guessing myself and thinking .25 now, looks like everyone has the .25 on here. Any additional thoughts on calibre? .22 are usually more available and cheaper IMO.

Wes carries an array of .25 pellets that work really well with the M11, good prices too. Amazon carry a few decent types but currently unavailable due to the pandemic. I would start with the JSB king, king heavy and king heavy mk 2's

Benjamin Maximus .22
Crosman 788