Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:21 pm 

The title says it all. I am wondering if I can leave a c02 in my CR600W charged for a night or how about even a few days?

I have read conflicting things. Some say its good to have a little pressure on the system, some say it will wear out seals and o-rings.

The shot count with the CR600W c02 isn't phenomenal so I usually run it down however sometimes I have to stop shooting or I wanted to shoot only a few pellets and there is a significant amount of c02 left in the can.

These thought process make me regret not having the PCP version, then I think about converting to PCP... but that is another story and there is always time and money down the road for another rifle :P

So what say you about leaving the c02 rifle charged while up on the wall and not in use? Yay? Nay? How long is to long?

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
1970s Slavia Liberty .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:55 am 

QuebecPlinker wrote:
So what say you about leaving the c02 rifle charged while up on the wall and not in use? Yay? Nay? How long is to long?

Different strokes for different folks.
CO2 can swell some seals
CO2 cartridges can stick to some seals.
So, depending on how the gun is charged and what the seal material is (or how its affected by CO2) will tell you weather you can leave it charged for long period of time or not.
Up to 1 week, no problem.
1 month? maybe.
1 year, if you have a gun that will stay charged with CO2 for a year - keep it forever.
Specifically, the CR600 has 2 seals of concern, valve seal and the end cap seal. They are both replaceable items and should be replaced from time to time anyhow, so leave your cartridges in if the gun is still charged and ready to shoot. If it's just about depleted, then degass and take them out.

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:52 am 

I leave mine in over night quite often but I try to shoot it and take out empty canisters as soon as I can. I have left them in a couple days before with no I'll effects. Pistols I have left in for a week or two because I forget about them as I don't like shooting my pistols. I am a scoped rifle kinda guy. I always remove empties as soon as they are empty. CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 9:49 am 

To each their own, most Co2 guns end up leaking out anyways. The pressure on the seal can cause it to deform and dry out. Simple, leave them in and replace the seals sooner. It’s not the end of the world if you forget one once in a while. Just have fun and use them up!!!! ;)

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:25 am 

QuebecPlinker wrote:
The title says it all. I am wondering if I can leave a c02 in my CR600W charged for a night or how about even a few days?

I have read conflicting things. Some say its good to have a little pressure on the system, some say it will wear out seals and o-rings.

The shot count with the CR600W c02 isn't phenomenal so I usually run it down however sometimes I have to stop shooting or I wanted to shoot only a few pellets and there is a significant amount of c02 left in the can.

These thought process make me regret not having the PCP version, then I think about converting to PCP... but that is another story and there is always time and money down the road for another rifle :P

What shot count are you getting with cr600?
I get 50 good shots @490fps

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:55 am 

Thanks dudes. That’s gives me some comfort. I lost sleep last night with no choice leaving the canister in overnight. I think I’ll start practicing stripping down to some of those seals and rebuilding the gun. I’ll order some back up seal and rings to be covered. Will name an effort not to leave it with air but not stress when I do. Thanks again!

walther wrote:
What shot count are you getting with cr600?
I get 50 good shots @490fps

Hmm probably around 30-40 good shots. I haven’t focused very much to count what I’m getting on one canister lately, but I can say comfortably 35-37 good shots per c02.

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 6:41 pm 

My 2240 still has air in it. Has been for a few years now.

You can’t buy a single airgun for everything. Golfers use many different clubs, airgunners need more than one gun

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2020 10:50 pm 

The 12 oz. CO2 canister has been on my Gauntlet for over a year, now. Still 1/2 full.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:20 am 

DocGadget wrote:
My 2240 still has air in it. Has been for a few years now.

I also have a 2240 been at lest 2 years i had to go cheek and yes there still co2

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 4:52 pm 

I get approx. 65-70 good shots on one Crosman CO2 in my CR600W. Only got around 60-65 shots when I used Umarex Co2.

Try to never leave CO2 in overnight. Only airgun I consistently left it in over a few days was an older one that used 88 gm. CO2. It later developed seal issues.

So my advice. if you are comfortable replacing seal & valves, maybe leave CO2 in you airguns. If not, maybe far less expensive in the long run to just remove CO2 at the end of each day. CO2 (esp. 12 gm. cartridges) are cheap, usually less than $1. Airgun repairs are not.

I have CO2 guns that I have used for many years without any seal or valve issues. I put a drop of pellgun oil on the top of each cylinder before I install them, and remove them as soon as I'm done shooting.

This system works for me. Others may have their own system.

Most of my CO2 pistols are newer. They may have made the seals tougher on older guns to withstand leaving CO2 in longer.

I don't think the newer CO2 airguns are designed to have CO2 left in them for any period of time.

I have bought a couple of vintage airguns that came to me with CO2 already installed. The airgun worked well for the remainder of the CO2, but valve/seals did not work/leaked badly, the very next time I installed CO2. Shipping time was probably 1-2 weeks. Go figure.

Would like to hear from people that leave CO2 in the more expensive newer airguns, for extended periods of time.

For example the Legends Lever Action uses 2 - 12 gm. CO2 that give you around 90 shots. I understand Umarex does not stock parts for these guns & doesn't even have a parts diagram available. They consider them "non-repairable", i.e. disposable. I for one, would not be happy with myself, if I ruined the seals on a $300 airgun, because I was too cheap, to remove $1.50 worth of CO2 each time I finished shooting.

Airguns with CO2 in the magazine don't apply, as it is a lot less expensive to just replace the mag. if the seals go.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:58 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
I get approx. 65-70 good shots on one Crosman CO2 in my CR600W. Only got around 60-65 shots when I used Umarex Co2.

Hey BB1 thanks for the reply!

Do you have the .177 version of the CR600W? I will have to double check but I am pretty sure the .22 starts to have some really low fps after 40 shots. I also use the Crossman C02.

Like yourself, I always put a drop or 2 of pelgun oil on the tip of the c02 canister before loading in. After the good advise you guys shared here in the forum, like yourself, I won't be leaving c02 in the gun very often.

It's not a question of being cheap however, here is a scenario:

Just popped a new can in, only took a couple shots in the basement, work or wife calling , 3 kids, have to go, get hung up until next day, c02 sits in the gun overnight.

Now I understand I can simply unscrew the cap and bleed the rest of the tank out, however I would that not do more harm than good on the seal? One would have to bleed unbelievably slowly (several minutes perhaps for an almost full tank) that said, I thought it was better to leave the can in for the night, shoot it off the next day as opposed to trying to bleed the canister out and potentially freezing, cracking, pushing seals.

So somewhat off topic but an interesting related question: is it dangerous to force bleed a can out if not finished? :shock: :?: :wink:

BB1Shooter wrote:

Try to never leave CO2 in overnight. Only airgun I consistently left it in over a few days was an older one that used 88 gm. CO2. It later developed seal issues.

So my advice. if you are comfortable replacing seal & valves, maybe leave CO2 in you airguns. If not, maybe far less expensive in the long run to just remove CO2 at the end of each day. CO2 (esp. 12 gm. cartridges) are cheap, usually less than $1. Airgun repairs are not.

I have CO2 guns that I have used for many years without any seal or valve issues. I put a drop of pellgun oil on the top of each cylinder before I install them, and remove them as soon as I'm done shooting.

This system works for me. Others may have their own system.

Most of my CO2 pistols are newer. They may have made the seals tougher on older guns to withstand leaving CO2 in longer.

I don't think the newer CO2 airguns are designed to have CO2 left in them for any period of time.

I have bought a couple of vintage airguns that came to me with CO2 already installed. The airgun worked well for the remainder of the CO2, but valve/seals did not work/leaked badly, the very next time I installed CO2. Shipping time was probably 1-2 weeks. Go figure.

Would like to hear from people that leave CO2 in the more expensive newer airguns, for extended periods of time.

For example the Legends Lever Action uses 2 - 12 gm. CO2 that give you around 90 shots. I understand Umarex does not stock parts for these guns & doesn't even have a parts diagram available. They consider them "non-repairable", i.e. disposable. I for one, would not be happy with myself, if I ruined the seals on a $300 airgun, because I was too cheap, to remove $1.50 worth of CO2 each time I finished shooting.

Airguns with CO2 in the magazine don't apply, as it is a lot less expensive to just replace the mag. if the seals go.

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:23 am 

I leave them in, it's isn't hard to change a dollar seal. Plus you don't degas your PCP after every use.

https://www.pyramydair.com/blog/2014/05 ... t-charged/

Quote:
There’s a second reason why the gun manufacturers don’t want their guns left charged, but they will never mention it: Liability. You see, a CO2 gun can shoot anything that’s in its barrel. It doesn’t have to be BBs or pellets. So children and irresponsible people can load things into a gun and shoot them even if they don’t have a supply of the correct ammunition. For this reason, a charged CO2 gun is a loaded gun.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 11:02 am 

Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have the .22 version of the CR600W.

I don't notice a measurable drop in velocity until about the 65th shot.

Shooting on a 24 ft. basement range, normal room temperature.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 2:56 pm 

BB1Shooter wrote:
Sorry, I forgot to mention, I have the .22 version of the CR600W.

I don't notice a measurable drop in velocity until about the 65th shot.

Shooting on a 24 ft. basement range, normal room temperature.

Wow. I don’t ive seen anyone else report such efficiency with these guns! Very interesting. I must do some real testing now :)

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:18 pm 

The number of shots probably has a bit to do with time in-between shots.

I fire the 7 shots in the clip with at least 10 sec. between shots. Then swap out clips (say 10 sec.) and shoot 7 more shots. then stop for a couple of minutes to reset plinking targets, fire two more clips and then reload 4 clips & reset targets & repeat.

I suspect allowing CO2 to warm up a little in-between shots, helps with the higher shot count. I learned this from "the Godfather".