Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 12:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:59 am 

Should we own a Choronograph .Which one ? thanks

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:17 am 

F1 Chrono

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:21 am 

Yes - and whichever one you can afford, be it the el-cheapo air rifle chronographs are the more
expensive, larger version with sky screens. Oehler makes some nice chronographs, but like the P.A.C.T.
chronographs, are a bit overkill for simple air gun use. If you need it for air rifles/handguns as well as
powder burning rifles, then by all means save up and get a good one.
The Chrony-type chronographs are fairly low in price compared to other higher end chronographs.
The Doppler Radar chrono's are about the ultimate for private use. There are also magneto speed versions
mount under the barrel and have a separate "box" for the results.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:28 am 

What Daryl and Ace said x3.
Every serious gun owner should have a chronograph of some type.
:drinkers:

Duke ))))----//----------==

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:51 am 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
A chronograph can be a valuable tool, especially for those of us who like to tinker and modify.

I would (and have) put my money on the relatively inexpensive FX Pocket Radar unit -I obtain consistent and accurate results from that little black box, regardless of light levels. There is nothing more frustrating than trying to obtain just the right lighting conditions for consistent optical based units, but the Competition Electronics Pro Chrono DLX with it's comprehensive Bluetooth app and PC software, would be my first choice for a budget priced conventional unit again, if the FX wasn't an option.

Just my .02 worth having owned both.

Cheers!

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*QB78D 875 FPS*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700S*Artemis PP800*Diana Chaser*FX Radar*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 12:49 pm 

Definitely get yourself a chrony....I've had my F1 for 10 years now.....even shot it twice and it still works perfect...

Attachments:
_20200413_134419.JPG
_20200413_134419.JPG [ 193.76 KiB | Viewed 260 times ]

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 1:47 pm 

I have a Chrony F1, when I use it in the house it drives me crazy outside it’s fine, I just got the FX one a while back and I like it a lot, you do need a smart phone to use it but it stores all the shot strings and you can add many gun profiles.
The FX is nice and small you can put it in your pocket fir easy carry.

But yes like it’s been said it’s good to have one if for this hobby of ours.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:25 pm 

HW777 wrote:
I have a Chrony F1, when I use it in the house it drives me crazy outside it’s fine, I just got the FX one a while back and I like it a lot, you do need a smart phone to use it but it stores all the shot strings and you can add many gun profiles.

really mine works flawlessly...never have an issue... 8)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 8:42 pm 

Ace wrote:
HW777 wrote:

I don’t have the light set-up, I tried incandescent, I tried LED, I tried flashlights maybe I’ll get 2 out of ten, once I step outside then it’s fine.
Personally I do like the FX, it’s just so portable easy to use, you an strap it to the barrel and shoot without lining up the shot again, it works weather indoor with lights or no lights or outdoor in any condition.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 9:14 pm 

FX chronograph, works in any conditions, even in complete darkness, unlike most other options. It’s also tiny, keeps your shot string, and has an audible fps reading.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:00 pm 

Back 15 + years ago I had my first Chrony for my archery tunings, swap it for a next model up and swap it again and again.
I tried all those box styles, in the beginning all these were OK but along the line I become impatient how finicky those could be with different lighting conditions.
Then couple years back I started shooting airguns and I started playing with Infrared chronographs, I can tell you these are more friendly and giving more consistent numbers.
Now me shopping around again,
FX is nice unit....btw don't connect it to the barrel will shift your POI, mount it just a hair below on a small tripod - sort of figure that out yourself.
But my own tinkering is this... once we start investing $2-300 for FX we coming closer to a price point for more serious units (that can ie track the projectile speeds downrange and do more numbers to play with)
and btw some of us learned that very well how deep this money pit becomes :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 3:52 am 

I have a combro cb-625 and they dont get any smaller than this I think. Perfect for checking muzzle velocitybut useless on its own for ballistic coefficiznt or energy on target measurements.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:30 am 

HW777 wrote:
Ace wrote:
HW777 wrote:

I don’t have the light set-up, I tried incandescent, I tried LED, I tried flashlights maybe I’ll get 2 out of ten, once I step outside then it’s fine.
Personally I do like the FX, it’s just so portable easy to use, you an strap it to the barrel and shoot without lining up the shot again, it works weather indoor with lights or no lights or outdoor in any condition.

I got a F1 as well as a Chinese muzzle one. Yeah mine works fine indoors. I glued 2 washers on the sunshade to hang LED pod lights under. I also try and line up my gun to make sure I shoot thru it at the same spot every time. When I was tuning my PP700SA, I must have shot 700 pellets. And I might had like 4 ERR

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 12:41 pm 

Location: Southern Gulf Islands, Beautiful British Columbia, Canada
What he said:

replicacanada wrote:
FX chronograph, works in any conditions, even in complete darkness, unlike most other options. It’s also tiny, keeps your shot string, and has an audible fps reading.

Avianmanor

*Air Arms S510 Extra*Artemis M11*CZ 200S*Benjamin Marauder*Brocock Concept*Cometa Orion*Daystate Huntsman*FX Dreamline*FX Streamline*Hatsan BT65*Kral Puncher*QB78D 875 FPS*Weihrauch HW100S*Artemis PP700S*Artemis PP800*Diana Chaser*FX Radar*Snowpeak CP1-M*

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:14 pm 

I've got a Chrony Beta Master (Blue), glad I got it. The best part is that they're made in Canada (Mississauga) I even went in there to get one, but didn't have any available then said if I could hang around for a few minutes and they'd assemble one for me. They did and answered any question I had, they were great and I went home with one