Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:52 am 

Does anyone know or have a link to regs regarding air powered arrows.Do these follow airgun rules?or crossbow rules?If less than 495 fps would they be non pal?would the pistol version be legal in Canada or be considered a one handed crossbow?Wow that is a lot of question over one item.thanks for any info

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 10:18 am 

Good question.
My guess (and it's just that) is that it would need a PAL, since the pellet version of the rifles are over 500fps

As far as using it for hunting, check your local regulation. In Qc, you are not allowed to hunt anything with a sub-500fps airgun. When I asked a local game warden bout this a few years ago, he thought they'd probably be considered the same as a crossbow.

In Ont, to hunt deer with a crossbow, it needs to have a draw weight of at least 100lbs (120lbs in Qc)

The FX Verminator shoots arrow at about the same speed as a 45lbs crossbow
- So I guess you could use it for small games and the like

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 11:12 am 

sillymike wrote:
Good question. My guess (and it's just that) is that it would need a PAL,...

good guess.

but here's 2 that smack a punch, but being under 500fps..
..no PAL req'd.
https://www.replicaairguns.ca/archery-airguns
_________
straight shooter

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:18 pm 

I was thinking something homemade but don't want to build something illegal.I have powder burners for hunting and air rifles for targets and squirrels,this was more of a cheap keep occupied kinda fun toy project.but don't want to go to jail over a toy.https://youtu.be/fs3uEBw2u1Y

Last edited by Sid66 on Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 12:29 pm 

??????????????????????????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:46 pm 

Making the arrow shooter may be fine as long as you are familiar with using air pressure and understand the dangers involved. Safety would be my main concern with the project. The plumber in the video does not impress me as a safety conscious shooter.

What could get you in big trouble is the use of it. If you are shooting it at your own place, on your own land and not for shooting critters, you could be fine.

The US is mentioned as making this legal for hunting in some States, but there has been no ruling here in Canada that I am aware of. I would consider it illegal to hunt with unless announced otherwise. I would not even want to be seen with one if I was off my property and on land where hunting is possible, even if just shooting targets. Your land or a range is probably the only use.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 3:23 pm 

Mac wrote:
Making the arrow shooter may be fine as long as you are familiar with using air pressure and understand the dangers involved. Safety would be my main concern with the project. The plumber in the video does not impress me as a safety conscious shooter.

What could get you in big trouble is the use of it. If you are shooting it at your own place, on your own land and not for shooting critters, you could be fine.

The US is mentioned as making this legal for hunting in some States, but there has been no ruling here in Canada that I am aware of. I would consider it illegal to hunt with unless announced otherwise. I would not even want to be seen with one if I was off my property and on land where hunting is possible, even if just shooting targets. Your land or a range is probably the only use.

my yard is big enough I don't have to leave to shoot,this looks like only usefull as a dangerous toy,probably not accurate for any kind of hunting purpose,all the fun would be the build and trial and error part to get it to work properly.after that would prob just sit in a corner.like I said I don't want to go to jail over a toy.this guy makes all kinds of weird stuff and no, safety is not really followed.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 8:09 pm 

Well one good thing about small towns is that the police are easily approached with questions.Showed him the video.The answer I got was he did not know it was a gray area so if he came across something like this he would go with caution and press charges and let a judge decide if it was legal.Guess I will look for a different project.On a different note this same guy has a homemade 1000 joule arrow shooter.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:44 pm 

That's a weird answer from the policeman. Was he meaning if he caught someone hunting with it or just target shooting? Glad I don't live in that small town 8)
If that gun is worthy of charging people for, then any other air bow and cross bow would be too, as well as any pcp.
A policeman that doesn't bother to look up the law but just charges people to find out if it'll stick or not wouldn't last long out west here anyway, before people would be ready to run him out of town 8)

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:13 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:
That's a weird answer from the policeman. Was he meaning if he caught someone hunting with it or just target shooting? Glad I don't live in that small town 8)
If that gun is worthy of charging people for, then any other air bow and cross bow would be too, as well as any pcp.
A policeman that doesn't bother to look up the law but just charges people to find out if it'll stick or not wouldn't last long out west here anyway, before people would be ready to run him out of town 8)

What he said.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 11:29 pm 

wesb2007 wrote:

This is why I got Firearm Legal Defense. For these officers that don't bother with reading the CC as its written, they interpret it different. And just lay charges hoping they stick.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:57 am 

Well I am not going to take any chances since this project had no practical application..Most days still below 0 here and still have snow on the ground.This was just going to burn up time during this shutdown.I did see a slingshot on his channel I might try to make instead.Now just have to see if there are Canadian restrictions about rubber powered repeating slingshots

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 6:27 am 

I live in small town and was circled by 6 police cruisers for bowfishing with a recurve bow. They saying over the loud speaker to drop my weapon. Yelled to them I am dropping nothing. Walked over asking for the ministry to come to clear things up. Handcuffed me and put me in a cruiser. I told them the laws and said I want to use my phone and call Joe at the Ministry of Natural Resourses. After 15 minutes a town Sergent showed up and the six cops told him that I was saying it was legal. The Sergent looked at the cops and said, "You better let him out of there as he knows what he is talking about." People were phoning saying I was shooting geese. Apology was put in the local paper and radio station around my town. They said their is a gentleman in the Meaford Harbour shooting Carp with a bow and arrow with a line attatched. Do not call the O.P.P. as he is doing nothing illegal. I even made the Ontario Out of Doors magazine.

As with anything do your research. Check local bylaws as well. When they show up you have to have all the right answers. To this day I carry a letter with me from the ministry saying bowfishing is allowed to shoot from a moving boat. Bowfishing is a fishing regulation and is not hunting.

CHEERS!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:11 am 

Wow, very cool story and quite the experience! Good point, if in a place where other people can see you and report you there is always a chance they will. Best be prepared with a copy of the pertinent laws.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:25 am 

I should clarify that the officer said he had concerns because of the electric trigger mechanism put into a homemade bullpit stock,not that the arrows were powered by air.Only laws I could find on slingshots is illegal in all national parks and zoos.