Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 2:16 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:13 am 

wheeliehd wrote:
Not very many airguns would be good for Gophers IMHO. Need enough power to make them summersault in the field so they don't make it back down the hole. What's the sence if you can't go look and see if/where you hit them? You should likely rethink the Gophers as I am sure you don't want to just wound them. CHEERS!

Is there an air rifle in a calibre that could knock them back from btw 75-100 yards?
And if not, what rifle/calibre would you suggest for this range/job?

Thx

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:28 am 

microscope77 wrote:
Hi

I'm on a big private property.
Having lots of gopher problems.
I'd say they let me get about 75-100 yards before they spook.
What are some of the best air rifles - ideally lefty or switchable bc I shoot left.
What caliber should I use for humane kills at those distances?
And what are the best air-handguns for closer range (garden etc) that are
still accurate and punch enough to take gophers down?

Thanks

You should check out this video. He goes through the power and accuracy required to dispatch certain types of animals HUMANELY and suggests certain rifle models. Sounds like this is exactly what your'e looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHF86NgNMj8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:16 am 

Trevor wrote:
microscope77 wrote:
Hi

I'm on a big private property.
Having lots of gopher problems.
I'd say they let me get about 75-100 yards before they spook.
What are some of the best air rifles - ideally lefty or switchable bc I shoot left.
What caliber should I use for humane kills at those distances?
And what are the best air-handguns for closer range (garden etc) that are
still accurate and punch enough to take gophers down?

Thanks

You should check out this video. He goes through the power and accuracy required to dispatch certain types of animals HUMANELY and suggests certain rifle models. Sounds like this is exactly what your'e looking for.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHF86NgNMj8

Thanks will check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2020 3:42 pm 

Interesting. My 14fpe .177 HW97, like I said, had the accuracy and power, to drop gophers in their tracks at out to 56yards, which was the furthest shot I had.
That rat was smack, through the neck and was sacked. At the elevated velocity of the HW97 in .177, of 890fps, the Predator Poly Mags did a great job on the rats.
The PCP's running well over 20fpe - up into the 60fpe ranges will do very well indeed, much better and at longer ranges than the lower powdered rifles. Yes- use them
with the Polymags, or other pellets - or the bullets, whatever shoots the best and gives you the accuracy you need for the job.
Penetration in hard paper is not a good material. Bob's soft soap tests showed the Predator pellets to expand and break up nicely. This is what is needed for vermin.