Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:43 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: S400F Accuracy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 4:31 pm 

I recently purchased an S400F Air Arms .177 and at 40 yards I get fliers and about 2 inch groups otherwise and from 190 bar to 80 bar and different pellets do not seem to make a great difference. Is this normal? How much wind does it take to make a difference and I also run a dry patch through the barrel. This is my first PCP. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

Post subject: Re: S400F Accuracy
PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 5:30 pm 

What’s pellets are you using?
Check the skirts to see that they are not damaged, some barrels seem to like certain pellets over others, wind will have a bigger factor on .177 over other calibers.....depending on weight.
Also you’re shooting the gun down to 80 bars....do you have a Chrony to check velocities.
How often are you cleaning the barrel, is there any visible damage to the barrel crown.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 6:08 pm 

New or used gun? At 40 yards that gun should be deadly. I used JSB Express 7.87 gr. 4.52 pellets in my 12 ft/lb 400 action and it was as accurate as my Steyr. Some use the JSB Exact 8.44s as well.

I tried a variety of H&N, RWS and Crosman pellets and not one performed well in the gun. My high power 400 shot lights out with the JSB 10.3s in 4.52 and still does for the friend I sold it to. He bought my 12 ft/lb gun as well and it is still stacking them as well.

The wrong pellets and a dirty barrel are the first things I would investigate.

The CAF store sells JSBs at a great price and AGS sells them as well.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:11 pm 

HW777 wrote:
What’s pellets are you using?
Check the skirts to see that they are not damaged, some barrels seem to like certain pellets over others, wind will have a bigger factor on .177 over other calibers.....depending on weight.
Also you’re shooting the gun down to 80 bars....do you have a Chrony to check velocities.
How often are you cleaning the barrel, is there any visible damage to the barrel crown.

HN Terminator and HN Field Target and Crossman, not the best pellets. Cleaned the barrel twice with a bore snake with the brass brush removed from the snake. The gun is new and no damage. I have JBS pellets ordered and a chrony also. Still in the mail. Someone else told me to loosen the barrel clamp and retighten it and I did. After that the gun shot to the right one inch so maybe that was the problem I’ll dial it in tomorrow and see if it’s better. It cuts holes at 12 yards.
Thanks and all help and ideas are welcome as I m new to PCP
Hot Rod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 7:27 pm 

I had a A510, if I remember I would not shoot it below 120-110 bars as the velocity would drop.
I would wait to see what happens until the Jsb’s come in along with the Chrony, I would not clean the barrel until you put maybe 200-250 pellets through it give it a chance to settle in.

Sometimes the pellet probe damage the pellet skirts....maybe someone on the forum has a way of checking that.

Good luck let us know.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 8:51 pm 

When I receive a new gun, I always clean the barrel. If there are lubes to prevent rust, they should be removed. I use a flexible pull through and pull dry patches through until the ones coming through are clean or extremely close to it. After that, I shoot as many pellets as needed to bring accuracy. That varies a great deal from gun to gun. Some may need four or five and some may need around 100. Your gun will tell you.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:22 pm 

I shot a flybuster target at 20 yards with a friend's AA400 in .177.
Using JSB 8.44gr. RN Cometa pellets of 4.51mm I made a 20/20 head shots.
I think those are VERY accurate rifles.
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20015.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 9:34 pm 

Daryl wrote:
I shot a flybuster target at 20 yards with a friend's AA400 in .177.
Using JSB 8.44gr. RN Cometa pellets of 4.51mm I made a 20/20 head shots.
I think those are VERY accurate rifles.
http://www.targetz.com/targetzlib/20015.pdf

Thanks, I’ll try it.