Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 7:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Scope...Which?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:33 pm 

Hey all. Hope everyone is tolerating isolation well.

Ive pulled out and polished the hockey equipment, the golf clubs and now the air rifle. A QB78.
I currently have a Tasco 4x32 scope on it. Im still finding its not enough. Might be my aging eyes.

Have the opportunity for either a "unnamed model" Bushnell 3-9x40 and a Tasco World Class 3-9x50.

Which would be the better scope? I have done some internet searching but thought id ask the forum also.

Cheers,
Chet

Post subject: Re: Scope...Which?
PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 6:48 pm 

Spec wise, the 50mm objective lens would be better, but this is to each his own, I have a 3-9x50 Simmons Chinese made scope that is the cheapeast scope I got, it beats some of my more expensive scope, look at the adjustability and clarity of the lens, probably the reticle is just BDC on those models.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 7:53 am 

Not familiar with either of these scope, but depending on your budget. You might want to consider some of the Discovery scope
They've been getting good reviews. And you'll be able to adjust your parallax down to 10 yards

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-o ... cal-sight/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 9:41 am 

Features to look for in a scope for an airgun are Dioptric adjustment (great for older eyes or eyeglass wearers) and then Parallax . Most common scope have the Parallax adjusted for + - 100yards.
Considering that airgun rifles are used at much closer shooting distances having Adjustable parallax is better than a fixed power scope (parallax ??)
Get the lightest weight scope possible for the type of shooting you intend with your airgun.
Can't really comment on the scopes you are contemplating...but can second the recommendation of the scopes carried by Wes at AirgunArcheryFun since they are ALL airgun approved and all have MIL-Dot Reticles that are very useful with airguns that have to compensate when shooting different weight pellets.

Hawk-i

KRAL Puncher .177
S.A.G AR2078-B Match .177
Weihrauch HW50S .117
FAS 6004
Webley Hurricane
Weihrauch HW45 SS .22
Daisy Avanti 747
Artemis PP700S-A
'HAVE GUN. WILL SHOOT'

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2020 10:49 am 

Good value for a money - Discovery and Marcool, I got these recommendations from the Russian target shooters.
Also
I am using a ZOS 10-40x50 with SFP, served me well for years but now with a new PCP I can go for longer ranges, tinkering about least 50 power.
Me to 60yo and need reading glasses, but not using with scopes and I prefer Side Focal Plane.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 11:19 am 

sillymike wrote:
Not familiar with either of these scope, but depending on your budget. You might want to consider some of the Discovery scope
They've been getting good reviews. And you'll be able to adjust your parallax down to 10 yards

https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/discovery-o ... cal-sight/

+1
I have this scope and it actually is able to adjust your parallax down to 5 Yards It is very low weight which is important to me .They saved money by using plastic components for the side wheel , turret caps and adjustment knobs . It seems to be very clear and good value for the money . Unfortunately i have not been able to get out and shoot with it so this is all I can tell you at this time .

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 2:49 pm 

Discovery has had some questionable reviews lately, mine works great and exceeds my expectations. Fixed power 10x44 HD. Good for targets, maybe too narrow of field of view for pests.

Clear optics, holds zero, going on 1500+ rounds on a harsh springer.

Sent from my LG-H873 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 6:20 pm 

What kind of questionable reviews?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:26 pm 

Just on Cyclops, Joe Rhea????, had some warnings.

Mine is as much or more than I was expecting. Land surveying, I'm used to much better optics. I'm not disappointed in what I bought. Best thing in a while

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2020 8:40 pm 

I mean, I've looked through lots of better optics ($500- $5000) for work.
Discovery is by far the best scope I own.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:22 pm 

I don't think the Discovery scopes have gotten any worse, but apparently there is fakes on aliexpress and ebay, so a guy has to watch out for that, and then Discovery tends to be over generous in their claims for shock proof on the cheaper scopes. The VT-Z for example had a magnum springer claim attached to it by some of the Discovery sales people. My supplier said it isn't actually springer rated, but one of my customers was looking for a cheaper magnum springer scope and I mentioned the conflicting claims and he decided to try it. It lasted 50 pellets or so, I think before the side focus went on it.
So now we know, the cheap discovery scopes aren't magnum springer rated despite what claims are made. 8)
He used his refund to go up to an HS 4-14x44, which is supposed to be elephant gun rated, so we'll see how it does or if I'm paying for that one too.
I agree they have really good glass for the money and as long as you have a local seller to send duds back to, I think they are probably the best deal going for price.
The ED line is only in the $400 range and I've had guys buy them, that also own $2000 and $3000 scopes say the glass beats or compares to some of them, which is pretty amazing, and they come with a lifetime warranty so it's a great option for sure.

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:14 pm 

I got myself UTG 9X32 Compact CQB Bug Buster AO scope - it was $150 as amazon.ca. I was hesitant to buy it since it cost about the same as my air rifle, but it proved to be a good addition I have it for two months and so far it works well. It has clear picture and holds zero. UTG says that it can withstand spring rifle recoil and it can be focused as low as 3 meters. I use it mostly at about 5 meters on Air Venture TR-5 and I very pleased with it. Hopefully it will last long time, so far I had to reduce size of my targets, I can consistently hit 1/4 inch circle with the scope.