Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 6:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 1:21 am 
Offline
Site Moderator

Joined: Sat Sep 03, 2005 9:25 am
Posts: 3435
Location: Ontario, Canada
Hi Trevor,

If I remember right, the HW35 was Weihrauch's first rifled barreled air rifle. It's an old overbuilt design from 1951. The cylinder is wider than the 30&50 and the walls are thicker. The HW80 was built on the same wide cylinder but with a longer "magnum" length. I had a 1980 HW35 Standard in .177cal that I bought new and shot for a few years. Accuracy was very good and velocity was around 720fps with 7.9gr pellets. The rifle design is quite heavy for the power output but this makes for a sweet shooting rifle with a long design history. Here is a history review that I found...
https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/air ... f-the-hw35

I also had an HW30S from 2004 that shot very accurately. Velocity was in the low 600s and accuracy was fine out to 40 yards on a calm day. The rifle started as a 500fps version but I only shot it for a few days at that power level. Accuracy was fine with the chopped spring. Lock time wasn't bad because I was only loosing about 100fps over the full power spring. My HW30S had a different stock than the current version but the metalwork was likely the same. The small rifle was about the size and weight of a rimfire rifle. It's something you could shoot all afternoon, like your QB78. At one time I had a review posted but my web server lost it. You might be able to access the old review at this archive link....
http://web.archive.org/web/200811200947 ... 30SReview/

It's easier to pick a break-barrel springer Weihrauch rifle once you figure out the purpose. If you want a hunting rifle then possibly the 80, 85 or 95 would be your choice. I have shot the 80 and 95 and they shot well, although they were physically much heavier than the 30. If you want a great indoor plinker then the 30 is slick. The 30 also works well for medium distance outdoor plinking. If you enjoy something nostalgic then the 35 would be the choice. The 35 gives you a little more power than the 30 but with more weight. The HW50 is like a 30 with a longer compression tube and more power. The 50 power is similar to the 35 or possibly a bit more. But the 50 is lighter than the 35. The 50 was once called the HW99S and might still carry than tag overseas. Now you're probably more confused than before reading this mess.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Nova Scotia
YepYep wrote:
Trevor wrote:
Why does Weirauch mount the rear sight near the joint of the break barrel and not much further back? Would a diopter or williams notched sight fit (and work) mounted considerably closer to the eye of the shooter? Or do they just assume that people will be mounting a scope to their rifle and not using the iron sights at all?
A picture for your reference and the nice 35E Duke mentioned... Yes, of course you can mount a peep rear sight to work with the stock globed front sight on the gun for sure~ they are good partners!

For 15m distance, a non PAL one will work just fine!
Image

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

That's just a beautiful rifle. Really like the rear diopter sight on it.

_________________
Webley Tempest
Crosman 2289
Beeman QB78


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:33 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Nova Scotia
TCooper wrote:
Hi Trevor,

If I remember right, the HW35 was Weihrauch's first rifled barreled air rifle. It's an old overbuilt design from 1951. The cylinder is wider than the 30&50 and the walls are thicker. The HW80 was built on the same wide cylinder but with a longer "magnum" length. I had a 1980 HW35 Standard in .177cal that I bought new and shot for a few years. Accuracy was very good and velocity was around 720fps with 7.9gr pellets. The rifle design is quite heavy for the power output but this makes for a sweet shooting rifle with a long design history. Here is a history review that I found...
https://www.gunmart.net/gun-reviews/air ... f-the-hw35

I also had an HW30S from 2004 that shot very accurately. Velocity was in the low 600s and accuracy was fine out to 40 yards on a calm day. The rifle started as a 500fps version but I only shot it for a few days at that power level. Accuracy was fine with the chopped spring. Lock time wasn't bad because I was only loosing about 100fps over the full power spring. My HW30S had a different stock than the current version but the metalwork was likely the same. The small rifle was about the size and weight of a rimfire rifle. It's something you could shoot all afternoon, like your QB78. At one time I had a review posted but my web server lost it. You might be able to access the old review at this archive link....
http://web.archive.org/web/200811200947 ... 30SReview/

It's easier to pick a break-barrel springer Weihrauch rifle once you figure out the purpose. If you want a hunting rifle then possibly the 80, 85 or 95 would be your choice. I have shot the 80 and 95 and they shot well, although they were physically much heavier than the 30. If you want a great indoor plinker then the 30 is slick. The 30 also works well for medium distance outdoor plinking. If you enjoy something nostalgic then the 35 would be the choice. The 35 gives you a little more power than the 30 but with more weight. The HW50 is like a 30 with a longer compression tube and more power. The 50 power is similar to the 35 or possibly a bit more. But the 50 is lighter than the 35. The 50 was once called the HW99S and might still carry than tag overseas. Now you're probably more confused than before reading this mess.

Thanks for the info.

As for it's intended use- like everything I have it will just be a backyard plinker. I'll probably never shoot past 30 feet and likely I'll go back and forth between 10m and about 25m. The 10m will be paper targets and 25m will be pop cans.

I like my .177 rifles for the tiny holes they punch in my paper targets but I prefer the .22 for the cans. Not sure which calibre I'd go for just yet. I am definitely leaning towards buying the 35E but I keep going back and forth on the decision. I also would like to get a crosman 2300.

As for a Canadian retailer for Weirauchs- D&L the only place to buy them? I'd probably go for one of the Canadian spec sub 500fps models.

_________________
Webley Tempest
Crosman 2289
Beeman QB78


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 4:35 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Aug 23, 2014 5:42 pm
Posts: 183
Location: Nova Scotia
YepYep wrote:
Oh... For Williams, I had mounted one on my 30s before, but remember not every model fits all... Image

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk
Image

How are those peep sights to shoot with? They look like they'd be very hard to bump out of alignment. I like the looks of them. Can you get smaller/larger aperture sizes for them?

_________________
Webley Tempest
Crosman 2289
Beeman QB78


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:22 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 2518
Location: GTA, ON
The science says human eye will automatically line up everything at the middle of the peep hole... So it's really a good partner to work with the HW globed front sight and you can use it with any of the front sight inserts too...

And as you would shoot from 10 meters to 20 meters something, you might need an AO scope and keep adjusting the range. But I think a peep sights setup will give you a smooth adjusting-free shooting experience at this kind of range changes....

Yes, it's a Williams, so you can choose and change to different inserts for different function (day light or dawn/evening), different size peep holes... However I don't think you can get those stuffs in Canada... I got mines from the States directly and brought into Canada after I try everything and nobody and no online source carries them... Image

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

_________________
Future AA ProSport
FWB300S Universal
HW30s / 35e / 40+Extender / P3+Kit Scope
HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:30 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 2518
Location: GTA, ON
Trevor wrote:
I like my .177 rifles for the tiny holes they punch in my paper targets but I prefer the .22 for the cans. Not sure which calibre I'd go for just yet. I am definitely leaning towards buying the 35E but I keep going back and forth on the decision. I also would like to get a crosman 2300.

As for a Canadian retailer for Weirauchs- D&L the only place to buy them? I'd probably go for one of the Canadian spec sub 500fps models.


D&L is the best place to buy HW guns in Canada. Just go ahead to get your one(s) from them. I got my HW40 and HW45 from them. (My HW rifles were from our lovely forum members [emoji38])

If you want to stay without PAL and headache about the calibers... My opinion is go for .22.

Our law limits the muzzle speed, so a gun shooting 495fps with 7 gr pellet is same like the other shooting same speed but shooting 14gr pellets... So using a .22, you just get double the impact power on cans easily... And for accuracy, I don't think a 177 HW35e has any difference than a 22 HW35e... So... ;)

The HW35E walnut stock is a very good choice~ as Todd (TCooper) indicated, a nice rifle with a long story and very special design. Compare to owning something every body have on the street, why not to own something else that catches others eyes?!


Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

_________________
Future AA ProSport
FWB300S Universal
HW30s / 35e / 40+Extender / P3+Kit Scope
HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit


Last edited by YepYep on Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2020 6:34 pm 
Online
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 2518
Location: GTA, ON
Isn't a Crosman 2300 a pistol?

The American quality and craftmanship is not comparable to the Germans... If you cboosed HW, don't look back... Keep on using the outstanding European fine rifles~

Sent from my S9 via Tapatalk

_________________
Future AA ProSport
FWB300S Universal
HW30s / 35e / 40+Extender / P3+Kit Scope
HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:55 am 
Offline

Joined: Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:44 pm
Posts: 1
Location: Alberta
Not intending to hijack, but could someone comment on the relative effort required to cock the HWs-30, 35, 50s, 80, 85, 90, 95 and the under levers as well.

Like the OP, I’m on a similar quest for a .22 caliber PAL.

Thanks.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 11:16 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 2219
Location: Kingston, ON
erda wrote:
Not intending to hijack, but could someone comment on the relative effort required to cock the HWs-30, 35, 50s, 80, 85, 90, 95 and the under levers as well.

Like the OP, I’m on a similar quest for a .22 caliber PAL.

Thanks.

That's a tall order.
However, as one would expect - all things being equal, the cocking effort goes up with spring stiffness and goes down approximately with coking lever length. The latter factor can be modified with clever mechanical advantages but that comes with a displacement disadvantage meaning that the length or angle of cocking stroke must increase.
The break barrels generally have the length of cocking lever advantage over the underlevers which tend to have relatively short cocking levers.
So in terms of increasing cocking effort, I'd rank them as follows:
30, 50, 57, 35, 95, 90, 97, 85, 80
Any model with a K is a Karbine (carbine) so has a shorter barrel and will be harder to cock than regular version. i.e., 77K harder to cock than 77.
:drinkers:

_________________

Duke ))))----//----------==


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Apr 27, 2020 2:06 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6668
Location: P.G. B.C.
Probably the hardest would be the HW97's, with the very short barrel or 9" + about 3" for the shroud, thus very short lever.


Attachments:
IMG_2805.JPG
IMG_2805.JPG [ 116.92 KiB | Viewed 55 times ]

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl
Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO