Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 1:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: Top end PCP Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 8:59 am 

Hi all,

looking for some advice from the trenches.

I would like to get a top end PCP. External power adjustable regulator I think is a must. Something with an excellent shot count. Something that is amazing for target but also lite enough for an afternoon of small game hunting.

I've been looking at a couple of different ones.

FX Verminator MKII (also shoots arrows, by all accounts good for deer out to 30 yards, just not sure if that is legal in Ontario - if it is not, not much point in the extra expense, but boy is it nice anyway)
Air Arms 510
FX Dreamline (no stock in canada for .22 or .177 I can find)

I think .22 is the way to go for hunting, but .177 is great for target. How do field tests go in the way of .177 being humane for squirrel, rabbits, etc?

Other considerations not mentioned welcome. Looking for owners of top end PCP's to chime in if possible and share their experiences and findings. I'm not limiting myself to the ones mentioned, they are just meeting the criteria and available in Canada.

Thank you.

Post subject: Re: Top end PCP Rifle
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 9:16 am 

If you want the option to shoot arrows then yes the FX is a very good choice, not sure if legal or not. If you want something with a good shot count the new FX IMPACT II with the larger plenum is also a very good choice, you can change power, calibers, barrel length, you can use slugs, change grips, many accessories.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:02 am 

Haven't "hunted" with a airgun (that's what the PB are for), but the 177 @ 800fps does a good job on rodents.

If I was looking for a 22 for hunting and plinking/target, I'd give serious thought to the Steyr Hunting 5, like this one for sale on the forum
topic82313.html

- Accurate
- Decent shot count
-

The LG110 is also available in 22
- Switching power can be done in about 2min. (change transfer port and adjust the velocity)

As for the FX, yes they seem like nice-full-features rifle. As long as you don't mind a bit of tinkering.
- I spend a bit of time on AirgunNation, and while everybody like their rifles, seems like they are a bit finicky/maintenance intensive.
- I've been shooting Steyr's for years. So I kind of gotten used to simply filling up and shooting...

I've been intrigued by the Dayste Delta Wolf... but a little rich for me right now.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:19 am 

These are excellent choices. I like that the air cylinder out front easily marks this as an air gun, whereas some of them try to look more 'traditional'.

I'm not going to make the call today of course, if this thread goes as I'm wishing, I will have a weeks worth of reviews and research to dig through to make the best choice possible.

I have only ever hunted small game with #7shot in a 12 gauge. Rabbit hunting isn't bait and wait, its bush kicking hard work with quick shots. Often find pellets in the meat. With an airgun and right proper hit no more chew'n on lead :)

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 10:51 am 

I'd say about 90% of all the snow-hares I've shot were with a 22lr. the other 10% fell to a shotgun... while I was looking for partridges.

-

The FX Royal is another proven design, where you seldom read of people having issues with.

Then there's the options from RAW and Thomas air rifles...

I guess you'll need to decide
- What's your budget
- Do you prefer conventional or bullpup stock
- When you say "target", are you talking about a specific game you want to play... or just plinking

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 11:03 am 

Thanks SillyMike.

I am thinking paper hole punching. Looking to take it out to 50 yards. There are many debates regarding the ability of .177 and wind, with .22s extra 'weight' keeping it on target better at that range. Lots to learn and think about.

If it can punch ragged one hole groups out that far it's pretty much good for anything you want to do with it. The secondary question after that is weight for an afternoon with it on the shoulder (or, in the case of the verminator, deer stand, if legal, still looking for an answer for that)

I aim small. Typically for dime sized targets. I'll even stick dimes in putty and knock em down. The more challenging the shot the more eager I am to climb that mountain. You need to be able to pull those shots off with stark regularity if you want to brainbox a small critter.

This isn't a knee jerk buy, been contemplating it for a long while. It is going to be a prized item in the safe and one that I will take great care of. Hope to get a quality item that I can keep for many years.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2020 1:02 pm 

Miguelitos wrote:
This isn't a knee jerk buy, been contemplating it for a long while. It is going to be a prized item in the safe and one that I will take great care of. Hope to get a quality item that I can keep for many years.

Don't know about you... But I sometime tend to over-analyze stuff to (somewhat) rationalize a decision.
Personally, I went with 177.
- Only shoot paper or knock-down targets.
- For a given energy level, the 177 will have less drop and be more efficient (as in, more shot count)
- Pellets are less expensive

I'm not much of a benchrest shooter, as I like to shoot positions (prone/kneeling/standing)

If you want to compare different pellet ballistic, download Chairgun (if you haven't already done so).
- Most pellets manufacturers have published the exact weight/ballistic coefficient of their pellets. I find the charts created are pretty darn close to what I get building my own.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:32 am 

I don’t yet have any PCP however in my watching of field target , benchrest etc the FX impact seems to be the gun used in the top scoring ranges. I.e. the top 5 positions in many competitions are won with the Impact.

Crossman Backpacker .22
1970s Relum Telly .177
1970s Slavia Liberty .177
Crossman 357 .177

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 11:58 am 

Miguelitos,

Do you subscribe to Hard Air Magazine?
One of their recent article is: And The Best $1200 PCP Air Rifle Is…
https://hardairmagazine.com/news/more-a ... air-rifle/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 12:25 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Miguelitos,

Do you subscribe to Hard Air Magazine?
One of their recent article is: And The Best $1200 PCP Air Rifle Is…
https://hardairmagazine.com/news/more-a ... air-rifle/

Thanks, wonder about availability in Canada? Going to look this one over carefully - thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 7:50 am 

Leaning in towards the FX Impact MK II X right now.

Why? I'm hearing some truly amazing things about it. I'm not trying to win competitions, I just want a quality bit of kit that will last and bring me many years of accurate shooting pleasure. With the ability to change calibres (although limited by a very limited availability of Canadian stock) I am sure it will fill all of my wants/needs.

This is definitely a luxury item. But I will be using it to teach safe firearms handling to several 'youngsters' out on the farm. We can start with the single shot discovery (an excellent buy for the price!) and graduate to this. I can hear the 'ooohs' and 'ahhhs' now when I crack the box and let them know they can use THAT one if they demonstrate safe handling over a few sessions.

I have reached out to AGS and not heard back. Is this typical?

I had questions (and more) about:

scope recommendations (I have a spare Vortex 6-25 x 50 Viper) - will that do for an air gun? I took it off my 6.5 CM PB
Do I need to buy some kind of slug liner to use the slugs?
If I go for the .25 model, which diameter of slugs do I buy to try with it?
parts, seal kits, etc. With PCP you will get a leak eventually (though that discovery i mentioned is sealed like a champ for about 2 years)

Who knows, maybe I'll start field target if I find myself loving the rifle that much.

Maybe I can find some answers here?

Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:29 am 

That scope should do nicely, and congrats on the great choice. You'd need a slug barrel if shooting traditional slugs like Nielsen Specialty Ammo. But Travis says they'll have the fx hybrid 25 cal slugs soon so you could use those in your pellet barrel. They are expensive though!
Probably worth it to get a slug liner.
As for field target, you may need to switch calibers if you get into that, though I know very little about it. I think they are limited to 12 ft lbs and most guys use 177 if I'm not mistaken.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:39 am 

wesb2007 wrote:
That scope should do nicely, and congrats on the great choice. You'd need a slug barrel if shooting traditional slugs like Nielsen Specialty Ammo. But Travis says they'll have the fx hybrid 25 cal slugs soon so you could use those in your pellet barrel. They are expensive though!
Probably worth it to get a slug liner.
As for field target, you may need to switch calibers if you get into that, though I know very little about it. I think they are limited to 12 ft lbs and most guys use 177 if I'm not mistaken.
Regards,
Wes

Sent from my EML-L09 using Tapatalk

So if I go with the Impact, I will have to find a .177 barrel if I think I stand a chance at FT. That should be ok.

I was wondering about the slug liners, I hear the talk, but wasn't sure. People talk about it as if it is just natural to swap barrels and I'm just not in the frame of mind yet. Lots to learn.

I will have to look into the those hybrid liners as well. Seems the slugs are really the way to go, from what I'm reading the performance ballistically is much improved, which means flatter shots over longer distances. Sounds like tons of fun to experiment with. I am seeing YT vids where guys are reaching out to 100 yards for sub MOA groups with this rifle.

Looks like no matter what cal you get, the impact is set to deliver what you need.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:00 am 

You may wish to check out here.https://hardairmagazine.com/buyers-guid ... -rifle-is/
I own a 25 cal Dreamline .Like it Pellets /slugs cost more.Not as much pellet selection ,as you'd get with a 22 cal.My 22 cal is an Air Arms S510 .It has power adjusters.Proven award winner ,bench& field.Avialable thru AGS,IN 22 ,25.tHE Other gun on my b/list is the Weighrah hw100/110 .Which are handled by D&L Airguns in BC .Brocock is another ,but supplier .??

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:37 am 

The Mk2 seems to have all the bugs worked out.

Not sure if you're on CanadianGunNutz, but there's a nice FX Streamline listed in the equipment exchange