Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Thu May 28, 2020 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:43 pm 

Hey All

I'm looking for your suggestions for best air rifle & caliber for knocking decent size groundhogs on their buttock so they
can't jump back into their tunnels.
Anywhere from 25 to 100 yards out.
Can be any kind of air rifle - ideally switch sight bc I shoot on the other side only (it's an eye thing : )
And do I need a firearms license?

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 6:52 pm 

FX Impact or Dreamline, either with the large power plennum for longer range shooting.
You will want to be shooting bullets, so that means the bullet barrel.
I do not think the .25Condor nor.25 M11 Artemis is powerful enough. I have them & tested lighter Neilson 29gr.
and 33.5gr. HP bullets just a few days ago, at 44 yards. I was discouraged by the results. The M11 didn't like
either, but with tuning, they might work. The 29gr. HP was the most accurate of the two weights. i have not
tried the FX Hybrids, which might be better. I do not think either of those guns is suitable for ground hogs past
about 45 yards and then, only with head shots. At this time, neither of my rifles is accurate enough for that. They
are, with the 25gr. JSB pellets - but I would say, not much further.
A .22 RF HV hollow point has more power than the .25 air rifles, just saying. The .22 FR Browning HP at 1,445fps
was a LOT more, as-do the Winchester 40gr. HP PowerPoints at 1,280fps.
imho, of course.
Yes - you need the same license for the air rifles as for a .22 RF.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:07 pm 

Daryl wrote:
FX Impact or Dreamline, either with the large power plennum for longer range shooting.
You will want to be shooting bullets, so that means the bullet barrel.
I do not think the .25Condor nor.25 M11 Artemis is powerful enough. I have them & tested lighter Neilson 29gr.
and 33.5gr. HP bullets just a few days ago, at 44 yards. I was discouraged by the results. The M11 didn't like
either, but with tuning, they might work. The 29gr. HP was the most accurate of the two weights. i have not
tried the FX Hybrids, which might be better. I do not think either of those guns is suitable for ground hogs past
about 45 yards and then, only with head shots. At this time, neither of my rifles is accurate enough for that. They
are, with the 25gr. JSB pellets - but I would say, not much further.
A .22 RF HV hollow point has more power than the .25 air rifles, just saying. The .22 FR Browning HP at 1,445fps
was a LOT more, as-do the Winchester 40gr. HP PowerPoints at 1,280fps.
imho, of course.
Yes - you need the same license for the air rifles as for a .22 RF.

Sorry I'm new to this and to the lingo.
Can you summarize what exact rifle make, in what calibre, can handle the accuracy, bang, and distance for groundhogs?
And then I can go find them and get a better idea.
Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 8:23 pm 

To get knock down power I would say yes you need your Pal otherwise you can’t shoot anything over 495 feet per second......even up close I don’t know if that would be enough power.

Do you have your PAL.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:50 am 

The Condor would be my choice .

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 1:25 pm 

I shot a lot of woodchucks when I lived in South Western Ontario - a LOT of them over about 10 seasons.
I started off with a .22 LR, then switched to 3 different centrefire rifles after getting my license at age 15 on.
I know how tough then are, tougher & larger than rock chucks - shot a bunch of those as well as even larger hoary marmots.
I also know that to shoot chucks at 100yards requires head and centre-chest hits with a .22 using HP bullets. Solids won't do it
very well at all. Woodchucks are very good at making the hole unless killed on the spot.
I would suggest a Condor is not suitable for shooting chucks past 45 or 50 yards - as stock. You could expend that to over 100yards
on gophers, if the accuracy is there with THAT rifle.
There are no non P.A.L. guns suitable for shooting woodchucks at any range, imho.

So- what do I suggest? An FX with large plenum chamber in calibre .25 or .30 with slug barrel.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 2:04 pm 

topic76153.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 3:26 pm 

Well have a look you will figure it out your self ..
https://www.airforceairguns.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 6:49 pm 

You could always go this route & yes, a firearms license is needed.

topic84338.html?hilit=Condor%20.25

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:17 pm 

Or this https://www.airforceairguns.com/product-p/u2045.htm

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 8:31 pm 

LOL - oh yeah - that one would do it to 100 yards quite nicely with the 220gr. RN Lee bullet, I'd think. FN like the RCBS 300gr. could be much better, though.
But then, there's the ricochet problem.