Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:33 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:17 am 

So I want to stop shooting in the basement, due to Pellets/BB's and paper garbage all over the place. Also curious cats. I can shoot outside, but due to the nicer weather, neighbors are out. My garage is too short. I need to buy/build a shed ( for tractor storage )I was planning on building off the backside of the garage. And was thinking could put a man door in between. But in total ill only have a 9M range. Kinda sucks because I have the possibility of a 60M when there isn't any neighbors out.

Building a 16ft shed be $$$ for maybe a just under 10M range would be $$$.. But what if I move the 10x10 shed 20ft out?

So I would open the man door, and open the shed door. Ill re-enforce the backside of the shed. I wont be able to see anything but the shed thru the shooting area. So there is zero risks of shooting anyone, unless they decided to go into the man door. Ill make a flag stating to not cross the door. Maybe fence the area around.

Because the noise isn't an issue, its just doing it safely while not restricting the neighbors from doing stuff.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:33 am 

Fence or barricade of some sort to prevent someone from walking across the line of fire.
Would have to be something can't step over or go under, just to be safe.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 10:50 am 

Daryl wrote:
Fence or barricade of some sort to prevent someone from walking across the line of fire.
Would have to be something can't step over or go under, just to be safe.

Good idea. Left side I don't have to worry because that's my fenced off dog pen.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:27 am 

The red plastic safety fence is pretty cheap might even find a part roll from a contractor.If it got really windy you could stretch a tarp across for a wind break

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 11:38 am 

1st. I'd check with your municipality about any bylaws
2nd. I'd bounce the idea with your neighbors... because even if your setup is technically "safe", if they are the kind of people to get spooked by a pellet gun, they could get you in trouble.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 12:26 pm 

sillymike wrote:
2nd. I'd bounce the idea with your neighbors... because even if your setup is technically "safe", if they are the kind of people to get spooked by a pellet gun, they could get you in trouble.

Thank you, but these been covered 3 years ago. My neighbors know I shoot airguns. But I'm trying to find a compromised solution's that makes us both happy. I normally will pack up for the day if they were out and about.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:03 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
So I want to stop shooting in the basement, due to Pellets/BB's and paper garbage all over the place. Also curious cats. I can shoot outside, but due to the nicer weather, neighbors are out. My garage is too short. I need to buy/build a shed ( for tractor storage )I was planning on building off the backside of the garage. And was thinking could put a man door in between. But in total ill only have a 9M range. Kinda sucks because I have the possibility of a 60M when there isn't any neighbors out.

Building a 16ft shed be $$$ for maybe a just under 10M range would be $$$.. But what if I move the 10x10 shed 20ft out?

So I would open the man door, and open the shed door. Ill re-enforce the backside of the shed. I wont be able to see anything but the shed thru the shooting area. So there is zero risks of shooting anyone, unless they decided to go into the man door. Ill make a flag stating to not cross the door. Maybe fence the area around.

Because the noise isn't an issue, its just doing it safely while not restricting the neighbors from doing stuff.

I forget if you mentioned that you live in Nova Scotia or not- you do don't you? I've contacted the RCMP, Halifax Police, Chief firearms office, 311/city bylaw, safety services NS, DNR and my MLA about this very topic. Haven't heard back from the last two yet. I can tell you that the answers I've gotten back so far basically are there are no restrictions other than the sub 500ft/second one. Halifax Police did say that if someone calls saying they hear weapons discharge I could end up with a swat team in my back yard. If my pellet ricochets, strikes someone in the eye and they die then I would also be charged. If someone was trespassing and accidentally got hit again I could be charged. All of these seem pretty unlikely though (other than maybe the weapons discharge noise). A common answer I have heard though is "use your common sense". If there's anything you can do that looks like you took steps to actively keep people safe and minimize risk to others than I would do that. If I hear anything more I'll post my findings.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:15 pm 

leadslinger wrote:
sillymike wrote:

Thank you, but these been covered 3 years ago. My neighbors know I shoot airguns. But I'm trying to find a compromised solution's that makes us both happy. I normally will pack up for the day if they were out and about.

Well, if they're OK with you shooting while they are not there.
- I'd still bounce your idea by them, to see if they'd care you shoot with this setup while they are out.

Also, if they'd never gave a try, I'd invite them over (or their children is old enough).

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 1:24 pm 

Trevor wrote:
leadslinger wrote:

I forget if you mentioned that you live in Nova Scotia or not- you do don't you? I've contacted the RCMP, Halifax Police, Chief firearms office, 311/city bylaw, safety services NS, DNR and my MLA about this very topic. Haven't heard back from the last two yet. I can tell you that the answers I've gotten back so far basically are there are no restrictions other than the sub 500ft/second one. Halifax Police did say that if someone calls saying they hear weapons discharge I could end up with a swat team in my back yard. If my pellet ricochets, strikes someone in the eye and they die then I would also be charged. If someone was trespassing and accidentally got hit again I could be charged. All of these seem pretty unlikely though (other than maybe the weapons discharge noise). A common answer I have heard though is "use your common sense". If there's anything you can do that looks like you took steps to actively keep people safe and minimize risk to others than I would do that. If I hear anything more I'll post my findings.

Well the thing is you are still part of HRM, I'm not. What you may hear won't apply to me. I live in Rural NS, that even our gas station sells Ammunition. Shooting here isn't an issue, nor will ever be an issue. I'm not asking about the legalities. I'm asking common sense people. Is this setup that I will only be able to see the shed, safe? Idea comes from Baffled ranges and no sky rules.

Now one gave me a suggestion that I put up a fence preventing them from walking. Which is a good idea.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:59 pm 

You could post pictures of your yards and possible setup.
- Then we'll better be able to suggest improvements.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 6:45 pm 

Well I used to shoot from the side porch, into the back yard. Before putting up the fence. But then moved behind the garage. Forward of any houses. To observe more. But my idea I wont be sticking my muzzle out of a door way. Ill be set back 6M in my garage. Allowing me to see very little outside.

Right of the fence and behind the garage. Is where I was planning on putting the shed. So I really only need to protect people from entering on the right.

The trees in the picture on the left and right. Are pretty much markers for my property.

I even in the cops of trees back there, a opening that I could shoot 18-20M , if I set up at the evergreen tree, still 35 ish M. But Ill be sitting in the open. So I have alot of places to shoot.

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:47 pm 

I don't see a problem with that set-up, leadslinger.
Nice lot.
The plastic (snow) fence is a good idea, though as it's not one someone would try stepping over.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:03 pm 

Personally, been indoor and shooting "out" would kind of bug if I couldn't see what's coming on either side.
- Your shooting from inside the garage to minimize the noise?
- Any "kids" around?

+1 on some plastic fencing on the right side

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 2:39 pm 

sillymike wrote:
Personally, been indoor and shooting "out" would kind of bug if I couldn't see what's coming on either side.
- Your shooting from inside the garage to minimize the noise?
- Any "kids" around?

+1 on some plastic fencing on the right side

No want to shoot inside to out. To be sheltered from the weather and be out of sight, out of mind. And I don't like packing it up when the neighbors are out, or have to wait for the neighbors to go inside for the day. Plus building a 30ft shed to be totally sheltered be $$$, so the gap will cut down the cost. And only the right side would be the problem.

No I'm not shooting inside to minimize noise. Since I never bothered to hide it for the last 3 years.. Main reason for this idea. Is I want to shoot and I don't want to have restrictions. There are kids couple houses down, but not a problem.

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2020 4:20 pm 

I shoot from outdoors into a barn, the backdrop has foam to absorb ricochets.