Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Tue May 26, 2020 12:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours


The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

 

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.








Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Author Message
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 7:56 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Posts: 10
Location: SW Ontario
Hello all, first post here, and looking for experienced advice as to what will service my pest control needs.

My late fathers Sheridan Blue Streak is a great little .20 but I isn’t thinking it goes much past 400ish FPS, and really looking for something to reach out and make feathers fly off starlings and grackles out to 50yds with authority.

Without doing Any research I went and purchased last week a Gamo Magnum in .177.. little did I know,
1- how loud it was (having farm neighbours on either side of our house)
2- with the so called advertised velocity of 1650fps, which I’m guessing is over exaggerated but I now feel the effects of that heavy spring tension when it fires,
3- not Too overly forgiving to pull clean shots off consistently

I wish I had waited to find myself the ideal gun for my needs bc I’m not going to keep this Gamo, because now I want to replace it with hopefully a keeper.


Here’s where I’m currently at,

The thought of a PCP, is great knowing how soft and forgiving rifles they are to shoot but the thought of the work involved using a hand pump and or the cost I’m not overly thrilled about having to purchase a AliExpress high pressure compressor even tho I’m sure they’d be awesome fun and serve my needs.

Am I correct in thinking going to a slightly slower, less than 1000FPS, in a .177 will be an easier shooter vs what I currently have??

Having a Springer although not as forgiving maybe as a PCP maybe makes more practical sense bc I can shoot it anywhere and not worrying about looking for an air source??

I would like something with a magazine and Monte Carlo stock, decent sights and optics!!
Are these more expensive springers, say $750-$1500 CDN great shooting rifles and more what I’d possibly be looking for??

Sorry for long post and I’m sure this subject has been beaten to death already but I only hope to do this once more, ya right, until curiosity eventually gets the best of me with high end pcp haha.

Thank you in advance


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 8:25 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm
Posts: 917
Location: Meaford, Ont.
Look up the Hatsan Mod 95. Lots of reviews on Utube and such. If something you want to investigate further Canada Shooting Supply has them. Hatsan is true with their speeds with normal lead pellets. Wish I would not have wasted two years trying to find a 1000fps gun that can hit less than a dime consistently at 33 feet. Have not taken it to range for long distance yet (reason I bought it) because of Covid-19 but I will in next few days now that it is open again. It is gas piston so it is not effected by weather. Shock absorber system and a good 2 stage trigger. Very reasonable price and it is not very hold sensitive.

Yes I own CO2 guns which cost money for gas and PCP which are not fun hand pumping. I am a Springer guy at heart because of simplicity of them.

CHEERS!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:13 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jul 26, 2017 7:01 pm
Posts: 2515
Location: GTA, ON
Right now is a hard time to buy quality rifles as the plant shutdown, logistics slowdown, etc etc ... I think most shops sold out their German or UK guns already and the arrival dates for the next shipments are unknown yet...

Anyway, I think a HW80 would meet your need as a good power quality German rifle work horse. Try to search this one for more info and reviews...

_________________
Future AA ProSport
FWB300S Universal
HW30s / 35e / 40+Extender / P3+Kit Scope
HW45 with customized grips from UK
Russian Izzy 46M
2240+14" barrel
Camo Chaser long barrel rifle kit


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:38 pm 
Offline

Joined: Mon Aug 15, 2016 11:00 pm
Posts: 446
maybe try this https://airgunarcheryfun.ca/xisico-xs46 ... nderlever/, I heard good things about this


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2020 9:45 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Sat Mar 16, 2013 5:15 am
Posts: 3694
Location: Edmonton
Why they ever made your rifle in .177, I will never understand. Having said that, you may want to give it a chance because it has many happy owners (and perhaps fewer owners who are dissatisfied because it does not shoot @ 1600 fps). It truly does have the potential to serve your purposes (in terms of accuracy, for which it appears to be commended by most).

Personally, I think this is a pretty decent magnum springer; but I must also say that I am not particularly a fan of magnum springers. Be that as it may, there seem to be three things required to get the most out of this rifle. The first is pellet choice; you're looking for a pellet that will bring the velocity down to about 900-950. While this rifle will never shoot 1600 fps, it can easily shoot over 1100 fps in .177. (Chrony required). After you know what weight will do the taming job for your particular rifle, the next step is to find the pellet that tames it accurately (you might start with JSB Heavies).

The second thing is patience. Among springer magnums, the Gamo Magnum is one of the most powerful airguns in the marketplace. Some say it was built for nothing but higher fps ratings than the competition, Others say it was built with raw power for airgunners who knew how to tame it. Taming an airgun = controlling the airgun, and, especially with the wrong pellets, the Gamo Mag cannot be tamed in a week of casual shooting, IMO. The double recoil is extremely strong, it is hold sensitive (loose grip to let it do its thing - controlling by knowing what not to try to control), and the double slam is significant. You have to get to know your Gamo's rhythm, which will become instinctive but takes time (say 500 rounds with a single chosen pellet).

Finally, and the reason it finally headed to the sale bin in my case, is the cocking effort required to fire this rifle up (~50lbs). However, that, apparently, is not an issue for you.

So, before you spend more money on rifles that may present different problems, you may want to consider giving your Gamo a thorough chance.

Just my. $0.00.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 6:36 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 04, 2012 10:27 am
Posts: 1111
Location: Thunder Bay,On.
Maybe start testing with various weights of pellets to achieve the accuracy and fps you require.Find out what your gun can do before you give up on it.... A chrony is needed or search youtube for fps testing and general reviews on your type of airgun... :Dhttps://youtu.be/WhhDlffMd_c (testing starts at the 9 minute mark)

_________________
The cave you fear to enter....holds the treasure you seek


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 8:49 am 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:17 pm
Posts: 2208
Location: Kingston, ON
A magnum springer is too much for a new pester, suggest you follow through with your stated plan and get rid of the Gamo and replace it with something nice to shoot that you can eliminate your pests at 50 yards. A PCP would be your best option, and a hand pump is not that onerous if you are shooting pests and not just Willie Nellie sending pellets downrange for entertainment. A simple 3 or 4 stage hand pump for around $100 will last you 10+ years if you keep it cool and dry. Look for a 2000 psi fill, something like a Discovery or Gauntlet for really easy pumping. Get a .22 cal and tune it to fire standard pellets (15 gr) at 850 fps and you'll have a pretty perfect pester.

_________________

Duke ))))----//----------==


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 9:33 am 
Offline

Joined: Thu Jun 28, 2018 9:31 am
Posts: 95
Location: CALGARY
Having owned my 1st [& last springer],which was the Hatsan 95 in 22.Loud,great need for work out routine starter[warm up muscle groups] ,before using.I watched a lot of Airgun video's. This one covers of a lot of them from https://airgun101.com/,.There are lots on youtube.My 1st pcp was the AA510 22cal.Living in Alberta,variety of pests here,power levels capable.Which allow quieter shots.Still having that knockout power,on low setting[500fps].Tree rats,magpies,domestic released rabbits etc.Field trips ground squirrels [gophers].on high [max ]setting about 8-900 fps.for 50 yd shots,10 shot mag[easy to load].Reputable company backing the product.Check out videos,on you tube.Look at the dealers section on here.With Canada post NEW rules on shipping.They might be your only way to get a gun.Food for thought,Safe shooting.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2020 12:58 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6660
Location: P.G. B.C.
Welcome to the forum, Blackbirddown. Good luck with your "quest".
From where do you hail?
(I can talk like that because I just turned 70, today)

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:30 am 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Posts: 10
Location: SW Ontario
wheeliehd wrote:
Look up the Hatsan Mod 95. Lots of reviews on Utube and such. If something you want to investigate further Canada Shooting Supply has them. Hatsan is true with their speeds with normal lead pellets. Wish I would not have wasted two years trying to find a 1000fps gun that can hit less than a dime consistently at 33 feet. Have not taken it to range for long distance yet (reason I bought it) because of Covid-19 but I will in next few days now that it is open again. It is gas piston so it is not effected by weather. Shock absorber system and a good 2 stage trigger. Very reasonable price and it is not very hold sensitive.

Yes I own CO2 guns which cost money for gas and PCP which are not fun hand pumping. I am a Springer guy at heart because of simplicity of them.

CHEERS!


thanks for the heads up on the Hatson Mod 95. I watched the video and they look decent other than the weight but the 5 decades of mostly waterfowling and competitive clay shooting, a heavier gun usually has less recoil, jist not much fun for carrying any length of time in the field.

I also really like the look and deluxe features on the Mod 135?? Adjustable LOP. just not sure what the triggers are like on these guns because I’d rather pay more for a quality trigger.

With our idiot PM and his gun ban restrictions I’m not sure what will happen with these PAL pellet rifles ????


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:34 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Posts: 10
Location: SW Ontario
YepYep wrote:
Right now is a hard time to buy quality rifles as the plant shutdown, logistics slowdown, etc etc ... I think most shops sold out their German or UK guns already and the arrival dates for the next shipments are unknown yet...

Anyway, I think a HW80 would meet your need as a good power quality German rifle work horse. Try to search this one for more info and reviews...


Yes everything has been picked over hard and understandably so.

Wishing I’d held off and got myself a nice rifle and I’m thinking now a .22 mightve been the calibre I should’ve gotten instead of this Gamo Mag .177

It’s really tempting to go PCP knowing how forgiving a shooter I’m sure they are but the idea of a hand pump and the without I’m guessing they’d be that or the added expense of a offshore high pressure compressor plus fittings and hoses, really makes me stop and think, is it really worth it for the big of plinking I’ll honestly only be doing around the farm here.

If I’m going to spend the money I’d like a rotary mag, a nice RH Monte Carlo stock and even better a walnut stock with some figure as long as that doesn’t put the price up ridiculously.

So if most of these rifles are rated using Alloy pellets what can a guy expect the velocity difference using lead??


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:52 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed May 20, 2020 1:10 pm
Posts: 10
Location: SW Ontario
Edmonton<500 wrote:
Why they ever made your rifle in .177, I will never understand. Having said that, you may want to give it a chance because it has many happy owners (and perhaps fewer owners who are dissatisfied because it does not shoot @ 1600 fps). It truly does have the potential to serve your purposes (in terms of accuracy, for which it appears to be commended by most).

Personally, I think this is a pretty decent magnum springer; but I must also say that I am not particularly a fan of magnum springers. Be that as it may, there seem to be three things required to get the most out of this rifle. The first is pellet choice; you're looking for a pellet that will bring the velocity down to about 900-950. While this rifle will never shoot 1600 fps, it can easily shoot over 1100 fps in .177. (Chrony required). After you know what weight will do the taming job for your particular rifle, the next step is to find the pellet that tames it accurately (you might start with JSB Heavies).

The second thing is patience. Among springer magnums, the Gamo Magnum is one of the most powerful airguns in the marketplace. Some say it was built for nothing but higher fps ratings than the competition, Others say it was built with raw power for airgunners who knew how to tame it. Taming an airgun = controlling the airgun, and, especially with the wrong pellets, the Gamo Mag cannot be tamed in a week of casual shooting, IMO. The double recoil is extremely strong, it is hold sensitive (loose grip to let it do its thing - controlling by knowing what not to try to control), and the double slam is significant. You have to get to know your Gamo's rhythm, which will become instinctive but takes time (say 500 rounds with a single chosen pellet).

Finally, and the reason it finally headed to the sale bin in my case, is the cocking effort required to fire this rifle up (~50lbs). However, that, apparently, is not an issue for you.

So, before you spend more money on rifles that may present different problems, you may want to consider giving your Gamo a thorough chance.

Just my. $0.00.


The more I shoot this rifle the more I’m aware, I should’ve waited an gotten a .22 especially at the speed this thing is throwing them. It’s anything but a forgiving shooter so yes I agree with you I’m now not a fan of magnum springers either but hey I now know. Thinking now if I had something that shot slower say under 1000PFS ot would be way tamer.

The shop I purchased this rifle only had Red fires which are light 7.8 gram and makes perfect sense to get a heavier load to help tame this thing down. I’ll look for the JSB heavys and Thank you for that.

My situation is I’m after a accurate friendly pester because I honestly don’t have the time to become accustomed to any gun I need it to be friendly enough to go out and fire a shot without me warming up haha. I do feel because I know how violent this thing is in its current form, knowing the thumpings coming I’m sure I over compensate and grip it too hard especially stepping out the back door cold turkey and not having the right mindset to shoot a magnum like this but hey maybe those heavier pellets will help it become a softer shooter. I know dads old Sheridan blue streak I cradle it like a baby in a blanket because it’s such a soft shooter huh I need more velocity and distance than that little girl can deliver.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:49 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6660
Location: P.G. B.C.
Normal pellet weights are in gr. ie: grains, not grams. 1 gram = 15.4grains.
The 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Mags might be a much better choice than anything around 8 grains.
JSB's run up to 13.4gr. I think it their heaviest in .177.
Some other makes run even higher - like the rabbit magnum H&N's at 15.74gr. but I have never heard of anyone using them
nor how they shoot.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:53 pm 
Offline

Joined: Wed Jan 05, 2011 12:35 pm
Posts: 6660
Location: P.G. B.C.
Normal pellet weights are in gr. ie: grains, not grams. 1 gram = 15.4grains.
The 10.5gr. Crossman Ultra Mags might be a much better choice than anything around 8 grains.
JSB's run up to 13.4gr. I think it their heaviest in .177.
Some other makes run even higher - like the rabbit magnum H&N's at 15.74gr. but I have never heard of anyone using them
nor how they shoot.

Only the PCP's give the: "load it up and shoot accurately" routine. Of course, there is the higher cost involved. Pump-up guns
(pneumatic) can give similar function of "load and shoot" but are usually of less power. I am not familiar with them.

_________________
Best Wishes
Daryl


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2020 2:34 pm 
Offline
User avatar

Joined: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:06 pm
Posts: 917
Location: Meaford, Ont.
I regularly shoot H&N Sport Sniper Magnums at 15gr in .177. They shoot amazing and very accerate in my Hatsan Mod 95 and my QB Chief.
I buy them from nikkonos on Ebay. Think Wes sells them here on this forum as well. CHEERS!


Edited: I check both places and they both sold out of .177.


Last edited by wheeliehd on Sun May 24, 2020 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 26 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot post attachments in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
News News Site map Site map SitemapIndex SitemapIndex RSS Feed RSS Feed Channel list Channel list

Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group

phpBB SEO