Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 9:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Post subject: cant keep rings on
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:14 pm 

I,m having trouble keeping my scope on my air hawk. I know that the rings that came with her are crap, but I don't want to buy another set before getting some feed back on what,s best. HELLLLLLLP.

Post subject: Re: cant keep rings on
PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:19 pm 

is it the scope that came with it?

is it slipping off the rail?

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:26 pm 

daguasta wrote:

its actually being torn from the rail, leaving aluminum behind. I've filed it down three times already to restore the bevel, but i,m running out of tightening room.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:31 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
daguasta wrote:

its actually being torn from the rail, leaving aluminum behind. I've filed it down three times already to restore the bevel, but i,m running out of tightening room.

What you need is a one piece mount, with a scope stop pin in the bottom of it...

Is there a hole through the top of your rail? (don't know the gun off-by hand) If there is, then the little screw in the bottom of a 1pc mount screws into that hole to stop any movement...

One of these...if you look inside the closest ring you can see the hole at the bottom where the scope stop pin is threaded through, you must obviously set that screw before putting your scope into the mount (experience talking there :lol: )

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 4:58 pm 

The Ruger's come with a scope stop held in place with a screw. Mine has no hole for an additional stop screw in the ring. I did notice that the grooves in the gun were not really that deep. I had to work at getting the rings to bite, even after market rings. So make sure the back scope ring is tight against the scope stop and then tighten the scope stop screw.

Jeff.

Make a fast friend. Adopt a greyhound.
WAGG. Waterloo Area Greyhound Group.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 pm 

jgoodz420 wrote:
joe hickey wrote:
daguasta wrote:

What you need is a one piece mount, with a scope stop pin in the bottom of it...

Is there a hole through the top of your rail? (don't know the gun off-by hand) If there is, then the little screw in the bottom of a 1pc mount screws into that hole to stop any movement...

One of these...if you look inside the closest ring you can see the hole at the bottom where the scope stop pin is threaded through, you must obviously set that screw before putting your scope into the mount (experience talking there :lol: )

I know that the one piece mount is superior to the 2 piece, but they don't seem to be available here in the Maritimes, I guess i,m going to have to bite the bullit and order them. It,s the delivery charge that hurts.thanks

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:02 pm 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
The Ruger's come with a scope stop held in place with a screw. Mine has no hole for an additional stop screw in the ring. I did notice that the grooves in the gun were not really that deep. I had to work at getting the rings to bite, even after market rings. So make sure the back scope ring is tight against the scope stop and then tighten the scope stop screw.

Jeff.

is the shallow rail typical on air guns? And its not slipping off, the front mount is popping up shredding the bevels off. The scope creep block is working perfectly.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:10 pm 

No not normally, at least in my with the guns I have. The only fault I have with my Air Hawk is the scope rails and the stop. You might have to play with the rings to make them fit right.

Quote:
I've filed it down three times already

What were you filing ?

Jeff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:14 pm 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
No not normally, at least in my with the guns I have. The only fault I have with my Air Hawk is the scope rails and the stop. You might have to play with the rings to make them fit right.

Quote:
I've filed it down three times already

What were you filing ?

Jeff.

I was filing the tightening piece on the rings back to a bevel because the bevel was sheared off. I must point out, that I prefer the fixed 4 power scope that came with the air hawk as apposed to the Bushnell sportsman .I get better groups. but the sportsman is nice for zooming in on your shots.

Last edited by joe hickey on Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:18 pm 

hmmm ...seems you are doing what i was going to suggest ...dunno maybe someone else can have some insight for you...like many have offered already....this site is great for that!

Dave[/color]

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:19 pm 

I know the rings that come with the gun are not the best but they shouldn't break unless the scope/gun was dropped or hit by something. Are there any nicks of gouges on the rails ?

Jeff.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:43 pm 

Dont tell my wife wrote:
I know the rings that come with the gun are not the best but they shouldn't break unless the scope/gun was dropped or hit by something. Are there any nicks of gouges on the rails ?

Jeff.

no the rails are fine. I think the mounts being aluminum and not much to bite into because of the shallow rails, was just too much for it to last. Even if i were to buy a one piece rail riser, it might work. I,ll have to look for one locally. I dont really have a problem ordering from away,, It,s the week wait to get it that kills me. :oops:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:51 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
Dont tell my wife wrote:

Jeff.

no the rails are fine. I think the mounts being aluminum and not much to bite into because of the shallow rails, was just too much for it to last. Even if i were to buy a one piece rail riser, it might work. I,ll have to look for one locally. I dont really have a problem ordering from away,, It,s the week wait to get it that kills me. :oops:

DROP MY GUN !!!! When I was in the military, we were told, if you fall with your weapon in your hands,,, you hit the ground first, ad let the weapon land on you. :lol:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 19, 2011 6:01 pm 

joe hickey wrote:
joe hickey wrote:
Dont tell my wife wrote:

Jeff.

DROP MY GUN !!!! When I was in the military, we were told, if you fall with your weapon in your hands,,, you hit the ground first, ad let the weapon land on you. :lol:

If you must shoot your airhawk then use the irons until the one piece base arrives.
That gun could benefit by some tar as it must be quite harsh.
If you can get a Vortek kit for that puppy :)

Enjoy
http://www.vortekproducts.com/

PostPosted: Thu Jan 20, 2011 9:02 am 

One thing too is I have noticed a few of these guns had very shallow scope rails, they should have gone deeper with their dovetails.

+1 for the one Piece mount, now that the rings are so badly beat up you'll probably just be chasing them from now on. You can find one piece mounts for cheap, you won't regret it.