Canadian Airgun Forum

The #1 Community for Airguns in Canada!
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 4:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours

The Canadian Airgun Forums are a place for people to discuss and learn about airguns and the airgunning sport in Canada. There are lots of discussions about airguns, airgun accessories, reviews, modification and repair information, airgun events, field target and free classifieds!

You need to register before you can post: click the register link to proceed. Before you register, please read the forum rules. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload your own pictures, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple, and absolutely free! To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:00 pm 

Does anyone know where you can shoot outdoors at targets in the Toronto area? Even if I bring my own targets. Just dont want the cops showing up because I'm carrying a rifle around with me. I thought of gun clubs as well. Are there any places that cater to air rifles?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:06 pm 

The only place that cater's to air rifles in TO is your basement :lol:

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:13 pm 

Find someone with a farm and a big wide open field (then call all of us up so we can join you :))

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
Ruger Green Mountain Laminate 10/22+Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
1950 Russian SKS
Remington 783 30-06 Hawke Vantage 6-24x44 SF

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 6:15 pm 

There is "No-Where" in the City of Toronto/GTA.
Basement target shooting is the "In-Thing".
No Nosy Neighbours and you just have to dream up..Targets.
That is if you got a lot of room or crawl space..and a good Trap..like a "Duct Seal" Trap.
A distance of 33 feet is great..because it is about 10 meters. for a great Int. shooting.
There is a member here that uses a crawl space and to get his target, back and forth, he used a Radio Control truck with a rig on-top..So after he is done, gets on the joy-stick and "Ta-Da"..

Arsenal..
Kraft Marshmallow Pump and Shoot Rifle.
GoodYear Gatling Gun rubber-band shooter.
PEI Potato PCP Rifle.

Glass ..12" Dobsonian Reflector.
Shooting for the Stars.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2013 7:18 pm 

unless you are going to a club i woudnt go waving anything that looks like a gun around TO.
i grew up there, well, scarbaria... and i heard of a few cases where kids were playing with toy guns and cops got called, not saying you are not a responsible shooter, i am sure you take a lot of productions to ensure safety is a factor but if you are looking for an area to just go for an hour or two and shoot some pellets around TO isnt the answer.

however, that said, you can, sometimes, find little areas in the outskirts that are relatively safe and free of them 'i got kids' moms and 'ohh my grand kids are coming over' types...

try to look north of ajax, pickring area, there are tons of open lands and abandoned farmers fields that you can shoot, just scout the area and make sure there is no one around, or ask permission.

when i lived in TO i used to go as far north as barrie / wasaga and look for open fields.
sometimes you get the angry guy that still isnt comfy with guns or he thinks you are there to hun 'his game' but most of the time if you are respectful and don't leave a pile of garbage around you should have no problem with it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 11:28 am 

My "fields" are located an hour south of Hamilton, Delhi
Both my Mom and sister have country homes with fields as far as you can see surrounding both, its the best place I've got to let off a few tins of pellets
My stepsister also has a vinyard closet to Lake Erie and its well stocked with wold turkey, I just need to get my PAL and something powerful enough :)

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
1950 Russian SKS

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 7:02 pm 

I know shooting in Toronto will not work but it's their anywhere else to go? I don't mind driving either. I know barrie gun Club has a range for air rifles but i don't want to pay fees like that to shoot pellets.
Sounds like this could be a pretty good business if i only had a farm

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 9:23 am 

I think an airgun/ paintball range business would do very well in this area :)

Crosman 2240
Daisy 953
1950 Russian SKS

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am 

you can come out here (belleville) and shoot with us!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 11:44 am 

well there is one club that allows airguns, single shot guns only and rim fire .22 rifles, and im talking about the Scarborough rifle club, i am a member there, the only problem is they only open wednesday evenings from 6pm-9pm, like i said only airguns .177 or .22 and small bore rifles basically .22 rim fire rifles i dont go really often but is good too shoot targets at 50ft sometimes, at home i dont have those 50 ft but if u dont mind driving u can go somewhere else outside the city

crosman 2240 (modded to target pistol)
crosman 2260 tactical
Beretta px4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:43 pm 

The scarborough rifle club is members only. That would be fine however there is a waiting list to join. So its not like anyone can just join and use their facility.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:11 am 

become familiar with the law is part of this sport, get yourself (R)PAL tested and use your vote to speak for you

many city have laws forbidding firearm discharge and TO is one of them (to my knowledge NYC and Chicago are the same)
airgun whether it is pal rated or not does not matter to the police officer (or SWAT) responding to a call (made by nosy ppl), they are treated as firearms and any violation with the firearms act are criminal charges, at that point they won't care protecting you but only themselves and (hopefully) others in the vicinity

just look at what happens half-step waving a knife on a deserted TTC streetcar http://youtu.be/PuItH2raahg few months ago - 9 rounds of .40 S&W and then as if the guy can still hurt bullet-proof vested officer, tased

none of us want to hear something like that associated with pellet gun or airsoft or paintball or ...

there is an alternative to joining a club:
do some search on "crown land" near you for its allowed, legal usage, if you're target shooting, consider a gravel pit where a natural back stop is readily available
once you have the place narrow down check the local city by-law to confirm legal airgun/firearm discharging (call the local police and ask)
even if it is non-pal rated, unload and put a trigger lock on it or inside a locked case when transporting, store pellets separately
when you do go bring a spotter along to keep the event safe, cleanup afterwards or risk the place being shut down
its either that, make friends with people living (owning property) out in the country, join a club or stay indoors (out of sight/basement) be low profile and quiet

be safe, remember you are always responsible for the projectile wherever it may be reaching

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:28 am 

So does anyone know where the closest crown land is that you can shoot at ?Say up towards the Kawarthas area.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 8:47 pm 

twister wrote:
So does anyone know where the closest crown land is that you can shoot at ?Say up towards the Kawarthas area.

It's something you really have to find for yourself,
I know of places 45 min from Toronto, with the proper
Bylaws and actual crown land, but if I posted them here,
It would turn into a goddamn warzone and the areas
Would be shutdown for shooting for good.

Google "nonquon".

Also the person that told you to drive around
And look for an empty field is giving you bad advice,
Trespassing with a firearm is against the Ontario fish and
Wildlife conservation act regardless if you are hunting.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2013 11:42 pm 

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/2011/04 ... llets.html

So nonquon is a no go now